Unbalanced

From Here We Go Sublime
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

INT. JESSICA’S ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - NIGHT

JESSICA is in bed, fast asleep. Suddenly, a loud crash comes from downstairs. JESSICA’S eyes shoot open and panic spreads across her face. She hops out of bed and rushes out of her room to see what had occurred.

Once making it down the hall, JESSICA looks down the staircase to see a contorted KRYSTAL at the bottom of the stairs.

JESSICA
Oh my God, Krystal! 

JESSICA rushes down the stairs to come to KRYSTAL'S aid. She offers her hands to which KRYSTAL accepts. JESSICA lifts up KRYSTAL to her feet.

JESSICA
(worried)
Are you okay?

KRYSTAL rubs her back, wincing in pain. She lets out a defeated sigh, as if this had been a recurring issue.

KRYSTAL
It's just my medication.

JESSICA reaches out to KRYSTAL, to which KRYSTAL backs away.

JESSICA
Your medication?
KRYSTAL
(shrugging)
They increased my medication. It just makes me this way.

JESSICA
What way?

KRYSTAL
Unbalanced.

JESSICA continues to have a look of extreme worry on her face.

KRYSTAL
I’m alright. It happens.

JESSICA thinks to herself. 

JESSICA
Are you typically supposed to have food with your medication?

KRYSTAL
Typically.

JESSICA
And did you?

KRYSTAL
No.

JESSICA puts her hand on her hip, like a perturbed mother.

JESSICA
Why not? If it’s recommended, that’s what you should do.

KRYSTAL
I wasn’t hungry.

JESSICA
Well, are you hungry now?

KRYSTAL
No.

JESSICA crosses her arms, attempting to seem authoritative, but only coming across as more unsure of herself.

JESSICA
When’s the last time you ate, Krystal?

KRYSTAL pauses. She thinks to herself momentarily with a furrowed eyebrow.

KRYSTAL
(meekly)
I don’t remember.

JESSICA uncrosses her arms and looks at KRYSTAL with pity.

 

INT. DINING ROOM - JUNG RESIDENCE - NIGHT

JESSICA places a plate in front of KRYSTAL. Grilled chicken with rice and vegetables.

JESSICA
(cheerfully)
Eat up!

KRYSTAL stares at the plate with dead eyes. Not daring to lift a hand toward her utensils.

JESSICA
Krystal, you need to eat. You can’t be on your medication without food. I called mother and she told me the exact same thing. She said you always do this. You never eat when she tells you to and then this happens. Please eat.

Silence.

JESSICA
Krystal.

Silence.

JESSICA
(wavering voice)
Listen, I’m just going to be straight with you, Krystal. I’m not mother. I am actually going to make sure that you get well, okay? I just want the best for you. And if that means I have to be the bad guy and push you to do things you don’t want to do, then so be it.

Silence.

JESSICA
You got that?

Krystal digs her nails into the table.

KRYSTAL
(quietly)
Who gave you the authority?

JESSICA
I’m sorry?

KRYSTAL raises her eyes into JESSICA’S with an irate expression.

KRYSTAL
(louder)
I said who gave you the goddamn authority to tell me what I am to do? You leave here for years, no communication whatosever, and suddenly you think you should have any sort of say in what I do? 

JESSICA is dumbstruck. She swallows hard and lifts her chin, attempting to feign the authority Krystal is accusing her of putting on.

JESSICA
Krystal. I’m not going to do this. Please just eat.

KRYSTAL audibly digs her nails deeper into the table. JESSICA reaches over and swipes her hands off of the table.

JESSICA
Don’t do that!

KRYSTAL flails her hands away from JESSICA’S reach.

KRYSTAL
Do not ing touch me!

JESSICA gasps.

JESSICA
Do not talk to me that way!

KRYSTAL 
(under her breath)
Go to hell.

JESSICA
Excuse me?

KRYSTAL
(sho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter