Smothered

Fighting Instinct

You woke up after a surprisingly peaceful night’s sleep in Jongdae’s arms, pressed tightly against his chest. Both of you had fallen asleep still in yesterday’s clothes. The heat radiating from Jongdae had caused you to kick off the sheets sometime in the night and now they were tossed out on the floor.

As wonderful as it was to be in his embrace, nature was calling. You tried to wiggle out, but each attempt reinforced his grip.

“Jongdae,” you whined. “Jongdae, I need to get up.”

He growled, still fast asleep.

“Come on,” you grunted. He was too strong. Your cheek was squished up against his collarbone, the sharp point digging in painfully. “Jongdae!”

“No!” he cried out. “Can’t take her!”

Was he… having a bad dream?

“Jongdae, wake up!” You moved back and forth, doing everything you could to wake your mate up, but it wasn’t working. His arms were tightening around you with each passing second. “Jongdae, I can’t breathe! You’re hurting me!”

That did it.

Jongdae’s eyes snapped open. You were shoved off the bed, rolling down to the floor, as he shot up to a sitting position. His breathing was heavy and little beads of sweat dotted his forehead. Your knees were red and stung from hitting the hardwood floor, but you would worry about that later. Grabbing hold of the mattress, you pulled yourself up to your feet and then crawled back up on the bed.

Realizing what he’d done, Jongdae threw his arms around you loosely, careful not to hurt you again.

“Oh, god, (y/n), I’m so sorry!”

You rubbed his back. “It’s okay,” you murmured in his ear. “What happened?”

Jongdae sat back, keeping ahold of your hand as he shook his head. “Just a bad dream.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” you suggested.

He sighed. “It was just… bad. The witches were trying take you away from me. All I could do was hold onto you. If I let go… I would lose you.”

“You’re not going to lose me.” You squeezed his hand reassuringly. As sweet as this moment was, you hadn’t forgotten the reason you’d woken up in the first place. Sliding off the bed, you started for the door. Jongdae jumped up after you, stopping you by your wrist.

“Where are you going?” he asked frantically.

Rolling your eyes, you gave him the stink eye. “Jongdae, I have to pee. I’ll be across the hall in the bathroom. I don’t think they’ll get me in there.”

How awkward would that be?

Embarrassed, Jongdae’s face turned red and he released you. “Sorry.”

You kissed his blushing cheek. “It’s fine. I’ll be right back.”

After finishing up in the bathroom, you walked into the hallway only to meet Hae In. She was leaning against Baekhyun’s door wearing a t-shirt you were pretty sure you’d seen on Baekhyun before along with a pair of athletic shorts. A smirk was stretched across her lips.

“Typically, wearing yesterday’s clothes would insinuate the walk of shame,” she chuckled, “but considering how quiet it was last night, I don’t think that was the case.”

You frowned at her. “Isn’t that associated with one-night stands?”

She shrugged. “I think it’s okay in any situation. Although, you might not want Jongdae to hear you mention that.”

“Too late.”

Jongdae stepped out of the bedroom, a towel draped across his arm.

“Morning, Jongdae,” Hae In waved teasingly.

“Good morning, Hae In.” He kissed your neck, lowering his voice, “I’m going to take a shower real quick.”

“Okay,” you nodded. Sniffing, you joked, “You could really use one.”

A low rumble escaped his chest. “Keep poking and I might-”

“(y/n), why don’t we go get breakfast started?” Hae In interrupted before Jongdae could finish that thought.

“Good idea,” you agreed and the two of you flounced to the stairs before your mate could say anything in protest.

Down in the kitchen, you and Hae In worked together, mixing some batter for pancakes and laying out slices of bacon to cook.

“Did everyone spend the night?” you asked, saying anything for conversation after almost ten minutes of silence.

Hae In shook her head. “No. Mostly everyone did, but Jongin took Kimberly back to her apartment for some ‘alone time’. I swear, he might as well just move in there.”

You thought about living alone with Jongdae and you quite liked the idea of a domestic life with just the two of you. “Do you think he ever will?”

“He can’t.” Jongdae stepped into the kitchen, Baekhyun right behind him. “The pack sticks together. No one moves out.”

That really was a quick shower.

Baekhyun stood behind his mate, snaking his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder, watching her flip the pancakes over in the pan.

On the other hand, Jongdae gently took the spatula from you, taking over the cooking of the bacon. He rarely ever helped out with making the meals, usually only doing so when forced by Junmyeon to “do his part”. He must be trying to make up for scaring you earlier.

“Is that because Junmyeon said so?” you inquired.

The two to your left widen their eyes at you as Jongdae cleared his throat.

“No,” he answered. “It’s dangerous being away from the pack. We protect each other. If you’re living away from the rest, you’re vulnerable. Whether it’s a rival pack or witches or vampires-”

“Vampires?!” you screeched. “Those are real, too?”

Jongdae gave you a look. “That really surprises you?”

You huffed. “What else? The Loch Ness Monster?”

He rolled his eyes, “That’s a tourist trap.”

“Worth a shot,” you mumbled.

Laughing, Jongdae kissed your cheek before taking the crisped up bacon and slipping the slices on the plate you’d gotten out earlier.

“Hurry up,” Baekhyun complained as he sat down at the breakfast booth. Hae In was sliding in next to him after dividing out the pancakes. “I’m hungry!”

Giggling, you swiped the plate of bacon and went to join the impatient pair.

**

You were reverting back to going crazy. There was only so much you could do in the limited space of the farm house. In the evenings you would play board games or gossip with the girls. You were sure you’d put together every puzzle in the house. Anyone might have called you insane, but you actually missed going to class and work. At least then you were out of the house. Even the porch was off limits unless Jongdae was out there with you.

It was hard to believe that someone could be both suffocating and distant at the same time. Most likely a result of both your plea for space and the curse, Jongdae was less touchy with you. Kisses were kept to foreheads, cheeks, and brief, chaste ones to the lips. He’d hold your hand but he didn’t pull you into his lap or press his face into the crook of your neck anymore. And, surprising yourself, you missed the more passionate encounters.

You tried to concentrate on the novel in your hands. Over and over, you read the first sentence on the page, not comprehending any of the letters or the words they formed as Jongdae played with your hair. The two of you were settled on the bed, sitting up against the headboard with no room left between the two of you. A tingling sensation played at your lips as you fought with the little voice in your head that was urging you to throw the book away, straddle his waist and take charge.

Sighing, you put the book down.

“What is it?” Jongdae dropped his hand, leaning forward to look at your face with concern.

Instead of answering, you placed the book on the nightstand and hooked your arms around his neck. You had to bite back a giggle when a look of confusion came across his face. Your fingers teased the nape of his neck. your lips, you leaned forward, dodging his own mouth and gently pressing your lips on the sensitive spot under his ear.

“(y/n),” he groaned, closing his eyes.

You smirked against his skin, throwing one leg over his lap and adjust so you were nose to nose. The teasing didn’t last long. Jongdae pressed one hand into the small of your back as he let out a possessive growl. His mouth crashed into yours and you let him take over, your job now done.

His fingers of his free hand were caressing your thigh, tickling the skin. One of your own hands s down his chest, playing with the hem before sneaking up under the clothing.

And then, without any warning or sign, Jongdae pulled away, lifting you up off his lap and back onto the bed next to him. You actually pouted.

Jongdae whined. “Don’t look at me like that.”

Grabbing your book, you opened it up at a random page, pretending to read as you sat there fuming. It was petty, but your feelings were hurt. Swiping the book out of your hands, Jongdae wrapped his arms around your waist, pulling you in close to him.

“(y/n), look at me.”

Nope. You refused.

“(y/n).” Jongdae sighed, resting his forehead against your shoulder. “Don’t be mad. Please. I just don’t want to lose concentration and take this too far.”

You jutted your bottom lip even further, making him laugh. Unable to resist, he kissed you, in return making you unable to bite back a smile.

“I’m not going to say I’m sorry,” you declared. “But I guess I can try to be more understanding. I was just starved of affection, that’s all.”

Jongdae raised an eyebrow at you. “Starved of affection? What are you talking about? First you get mad because I’m too touchy and now I’m not touchy enough?”

You shrugged innocently. “It’s called a happy medium.”

He shook his head. “You are impossible.”

Knock, knock, knock.

“Come in!” Jongdae called out, probably happy at the interruption for once.

Ming and Kyungsoo stepped inside the bedroom, not even phased by the embrace they found you in.

“Hey, Jongdae?” Ming’s hands were behind her back and she rocked back and forth on her feet, like she was preparing for something. “Kyungsoo and I are about to leave to go to the grocery store and we figured (y/n) might like to join us? You know, get out of the house for a little while?”

Leave? You perked up at the idea, a smile spreading across your face.

“No,” Jongdae stated firmly. And your smile was gone.

“What?” You turned to him, your jaw hanging on its hinges. “Why?”

Letting you go, Jongdae slid off the bed, standing up to face you. “You’re not leaving this house.”

You jumped up as well, utterly shocked. “Oh, so I’m a prisoner now?”

“It’s for your safety, (y/n)!” Jongdae was on the verge of yelling the roof off. “Even Junmyeon said for you to stay here.”

Ming and Kyungsoo slowly back away towards the door.

“I’m sorry,” Ming whispered. “I didn’t mean-” Kyungsoo pulled her out of the room and shut the door before she could finish her apology.

“It’s dangerous, (y/n),” Jongdae continued, crossing his arms over his chest. “Eun Na and her coven could show up in the parking lot and snatch you away. Or worse.”

“Kyungsoo would have been there and you guys are immune to their magic!” you argued.

“He still could have gotten distracted,” he countered. “I’m not going to risk you for eggs and rice!”

You threw your arms up in the air. “It’s not about the groceries, Jongdae! It’s about letting me out of the house so I can feel normal for a change! I’m losing my mind being locked up in here! All I can do is stare out the window. Sure, I have homework to do most days, but the end of the semester is coming up and then what? I’m sick of twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to either happen to me or for Eun Na to just give up! I’m pretty sure the latter is never going to happen.”

You understood that he was trying to protect you, but you couldn’t stop yourself. There was too much pent up emotion. The bottle had been uncorked and now everything was pouring out.

“I want my old life back,” you sighed, tears b your eyes. “I want to be able to go to the movies or grab a cup of coffee or stroll down the business district without fearing for my life! I want us to grab dinner at a nice restaurant or stay out too late on a weeknight, like a normal couple. I want to goof around in the aisles of a grocery store, laughing with you when we should be acting like adults. I want to forget that werewolves and witches and whatever the hell else exists and just be (y/n), if only for a few hours. Why is that so hard to understand?”

The fight was gone out Jongdae at the sight of you crying. “(y/n)… I’m sorry. I just don’t want anything to happen to you.”

Wiping away the tears with you hand, you said, “Sooner or later, something is going to happen. We can’t pretend that this will all go away. It’s going to come to a head at some point. Either Eun Na will make her move or Soomi will be able to help or maybe you guys will go after them. But something will happen. I just want to be able to live my life until it does.”

Not waiting for a response from the wolf, you grabbed your book and walked out of the room, heading off to find a hiding spot for the time being. You settled in your old room, now vacant. As soon as the door was closed you leaned against it, sliding down to the floor and crying into your knees.