Night Stroll

That One Summer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’M sorry, Unnie.” I hurriedly went outside since Minjoo has been waiting for an hour now. I don’t really want to talk to her because Yujin might misunderstand it but she seemed desperate. Even though I told her that my shift will end an hour later she said that she would be willing to wait and she did wait.

“It’s okay.” She smiled at me. She stayed at the seats outside. I know there are a lot of insects outside but she patiently waited. “Would you mind to go somewhere else? We can go to the café at the other block. It operates until late night. My treat.”

“I-It’s okay, Unnie.” I raised the milk tea that she gave me. “You already gave me this. Would you like to go for a stroll? You’ve been sitting there for a long while. I also want to get my dog for a walk. Can I go and fetch him really quick?”

“Oh sure.” I ran to our apartment and took Heungmin out. He looks really excited for the stroll but it seems like he was also looking for Yujin when I came in. It’s the first time that I came home without Yujin and Heungmin immediately noticed it.

When Minjoo saw Heungmin, she was surprised on how huge my dog is. She was afraid at first but because Heungmin is a friend to all and a complete sweetheart, Minjoo slowly got used to him. She even managed to pet him. We then went on our way around the neighborhood. I was actually really worried of why she wanted to talk to me. I just hope that she won’t tell me to stop hanging out with Yujin.

“Hmm…” She thought aloud, breaking the reigning silence between us. “I believe you have an idea of why I want to talk with you, Wonyoung-ssi.”

“Just call me Wonyoung, Unnie. I am a year younger than Yujin.” I said to somehow lighten up the mood. I am feeling anxious already and all these formalities don’t help at all.

“And you don’t call her with unnie?” Minjoo surprisingly asked.

“W-Well… She said she doesn’t like the word at all so she told me not to call her like that or else she won’t be talking to me anymore.”

She then snickered. “That’s so Yujinie.”

I smiled faintly. “What do you want to talk about Yujin, Unnie?”

“Hmm…” I saw her pressed her lips together. “I know you two are really close right now. She always run out of home after dinner just to see you. I believe you really make her comfortable and at peace.”

I felt my cheeks burn. D-Do I really make her feel like that?

“I am just wondering; does she usually talk about us? Our family? About me?”

Just as I thought, she would ask about it. She then smiled at me, she probably noticed that I am really not comfortable of this talk.

“She… She does talk about it sometimes but most of the time she talks about her friends in America and how different Korea is from the place where she grew up. S-She’s always comparing this and that…” I answered which made her nod.

“It is really different.” She agreed. “Chicago is very different from here. She’s probably having a hard time adjusting.”

“H-Have you been to her house in Chicago?”

Minjoo stayed silent with that question. She seemed like she suddenly fell deep into her thoughts. She looked at me with a smile but then just looked back at the ground. “I’ve been to her house before… Even before our parents got married.”

“Hm?” What does that mean? They knew each other before the marriage?

“You see… I stayed at their house in Chicago for six months when I became an exchange student. Because her father is a well-known professor in the university that I attended, he welcomed me in their house. It was a home-stay. Other professors also opened their home for other students for better culture experience and I happened to land in Yujin's home.”

I then saw her let out a sigh. “We… We got a long really well that time… Really, really well.”

I noticed how her eyes are restless. She’s probably having a hard time reminiscing their good days together now that thei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter