Secret Love Child (One-Shot)

Secret Love Child (One-Shot)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara almost choked on her coffee. Someone messed up big time. Who allowed Joo Won to meet his father? Yes, his biological father. She left Korea when she found out she was pregnant with her son, HER son, because the guy is not even aware of Joo Won’s existence.  

Earlier....

Dara liked coming in early to the office because she usually needs some peace and quiet while having her coffee before the start of the workday. Her job as a marketing executive is very challenging but fulfilling. She is grateful that she thrived in this career. She wouldn’t have known how she could have raised her child singlehandedly if not for this job. She looked at the time and thought her son must be home by now so she thought of sending him a message to ask about what he did for the day. Her son is currently on vacation in Korea. This is his first time visiting her family there. She has kept him from going for the longest time for fear that people might find out about her secret. The only reason she agreed this time was because her grandmother was sick and has requested for her son to visit because she could no longer make the trip to the US. 

Dara: (Sending a text message) What has my baby been up to today?

Joo Won: Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, I’m no longer a baby.

Dara: I don’t care; you’ll always be my baby.

Joo Won: Well, it was all right. Oh, I met one of those K-Pop idols today. I even got a picture with him. He said I reminded him of someone. He was really nice too. Mom, can I audition to become a singer?

Dara: We talked about this already. I let you watch K entertainment because I want you to be familiar with the culture and the language but your education takes priority. I’ll consider it once you graduate from college. 

Joo Won: I kind of knew that was your answer. I was just checking if you’ve changed your mind. By the way, here is the picture I was talking about earlier.

After receiving the picture message...

Dara immediately called her sister; she didn’t even notice that not only were her hands shaking but also her voice.

Durami: Hello?

Dara: Who was with Joo Won earlier? Where did you guys go? How could you do this to me?

Durami: Unnie? Wait, what happened? You sound in distress.

Dara: Of course I am! Who let Joo Won meet Donghae?

Durami: Unnie, I swear I don’t know. Let me find out and I’ll call you right back.

Dara still remembers the time she found out she was pregnant. She was scared and she really needed to talk to Donghae but his group just started promoting their first album and they have been traveling a lot. Donghae was told by his company to keep his relationship a secret even if they have been together since high school because they said it will hinder his popularity. Dara intended to fully support his career and felt that it would be best to keep their baby a secret. She just wants to talk to him about what their plan should be. She sent Donghae a message to let him know that she needs to talk to him personally.  She got a reply that they will be back in Korea in a week and that he misses her. Dara smiled; they’ll get through this together, she thought. Now she just needs to think about what she will tell her family.

Dara snapped out of her reverie when her phone rang.

Dara: Hello Durami? 

Durami: Unnie, I’m so sorry but I didn’t know that the Joo Won and his cousins went to Gangnam. His cousins happened to know a boy who was a rookie at the company that Donghae works for. This boy got them in and I guess that’s how they met. I don’t think Donghae made the connection though, so no need to panic.

Dara: Get him on the next flight out.

Durami: Aren’t you overreacting? He has only been here a week and besides Donghae is already established in the industry, I doubt his career will be affected by a rumor.

Dara: A rumor that happens to be true?

Durami: I don’t know what you're scared of, Donghae finding out about Joo Won or realizing you have not moved on from what happened 15 years ago?

Dara: (She hung up before she happens to say something to her sister that she might regret) Both… (Dara said to herself)

15 years ago…

Donghae was at a press conference when someone from the crowd asked him if he is or has ever been in a romantic relationship. Donghae hesitated for a minute; he looked at their manager for guidance before answering. The manager shook his head.

Donghae: No, I haven’t.

Some fans started screaming, excited that Donghae was available. Someone from their previous high school saw the interview and mischievously posted an old photo of Dara and Donghae together, refuting what Donghae said. The photo went viral and got plenty of negative feedback. Girls attacked Dara, from her looks to her character as if they knew her personally. The worst part was when the company issued a statement saying that it was not true and that the girl in the photo is just a childhood friend. Dara may have been very emotional because she was pregnant but the comments online were so hurtful she cried for days. Her family got very concerned and asked her if she would like to go away for a while, maybe visit her father who now has another family in the US. Dara suddenly got an idea; she just needs to talk to Donghae before she leaves. A few days later, true to his word, Donghae visited Dara at her house.

Donghae: Dara, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to deny you. I was just following instructions.

Dara: I was really hurt, how could they say those things about me…

Donghae: I don’t know how I can make it up to you, but I also came here to say that we might have to lay low for a while. The company said that if we are seen together, the public might think that they have been lied to.

Dara: What does that mean for us?

Donghae: It just means it’s going to be harder for us to meet often. I hope you will support me on this. You know how much hard work I’ve put in.

Dara: (Dara was just staring at Donghae, weighing in the words he just said) We barely even see each other.

Donghae: Yes, I know, but the media has been following our group around and if they find out that I have been visiting you...

Dara: It might be the end of your career?

Donghae: I don’t know, I just know that it will really get me in trouble. Besides, I also want to protect you from all those bashers.

Dara: (Obviously irritated) Don’t pretend that you are concerned for me, you’re just concerned about how this might affect your career.

Donghae: I didn’t say that. Haven’t we talked about this? Weren’t you the one who encouraged me to enter the industry because you said it would be easier and faster for us to save up and get married?

Dara: So you’re saying it’s my fault?

Donghae: (Sighing) I know you’re upset but why are you taking it out on me? I’m not the one who made those comments.

Dara: You know what, don’t worry about me. Just do what you have to do and I hope you achieve your dreams.

Donghae: What the heck does that mean?

Dara: Go figure it out yourself.

Dara realized that she was going to have to get through this alone. She told her mom that she will go to the States but she can’t live at her dad’s, which forced Dara to tell her mom about her current condition. Her mom was obviously upset but she is more concerned about Dara and the health of her baby so her mom decided to be supportive of Dara’s plans. Dara’s mom asked Dara to stay with her dad temporarily and she would just follow later before Dara gives birth. Dara told her brother and sister next and they all agreed to stick to the narrative that Dara decided to migrate to the US and promised to keep her pregnancy a secret.

Currently...

Joo Won: Mom? You never replied back. Anyway, I’m sleepy now so I’m going to get ready for bed. I miss you mom, love you!

Dara: I love you too (she replied).

Dara realized she could not work in her current state of mind. She decided to call off her schedule for the day and head home. She does not usually go on leave but this calls for a personal time off. 

Donghae could not shake off the feeling that the kid he saw a week earlier looked familiar. He just couldn’t remember who the kid looked like. He was still thinking about it when his best friend Hyukjae approached him at the party.

Hyukjae: What’s up? What are you thinking of?

Donghae: Nothing. Hey, do you know that kid who came to show his friends around when we were recording? 

Hyukjae: Kun? Yeah, why?

Donghae: I just wanted to ask him something. Can you call him to come over? 

Hyukjae: Sure. Oh, and by the way, I can’t drop you off later. I’ve got to meet someone.

Donghae: What else is new?

HyukJae: I can’t help it if I’m this good looking. You’re the only one I know who does not like to use his looks to get dates.

Donghae:  Are you planning to call the kid or what?

Hyukjae: Yes sir, right away sir! Sheesh…

Several minutes later…

Kun: Good evening, sunbaenim. I was told that you wanted to talk to me.

Donghae: Yeah, uhmm, I was just wondering about one of your friends earlier. He looks so familiar I was wondering if I happen to know his parents.

Kun: Who? 

Donghae: The one who speaks fluent English. Looks like he grew up abroad. 

Kun: Oh you mean Joo Won? Yeah, that’s because he’s just here on vacation from the US. He’s actually my friend’s cousin. 

Donghae: Oh, where are they from? I might have known his family.

Kun: They’re from Busan. 

Donghae: (All of a sudden realizing who the kid looked like) Oh, is that so? I must have been mistaken. Thanks anyway.

Kun: You’re welcome, sunbaenim. Is there anything else you would like to ask?

Donghae: No, thank you, that was it. 

Thunder was busy getting ready to leave the office when his phone rang. He could not believe his eyes. It was Donghae’s number.  He hesitated on what to do but he was curious as to why Donghae w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter