Seven

My Dad's First Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Since it was way past midnight when she managed to fall asleep, Jae In woke up the next morning to read ten fifteen on her bedroom wall clock. Strange enough, the very first thing that popped up in her mind was the back of the man who had walked out of her room last night.

Jongin’s face was the second to be recalled.

Getting down from the bed, the girl cleaned herself up and exited the house, in order to report to her daily work even though it was a bit late.

And to bid her final goodbye.

She stepped in through the unlocked door, and walked into the living room of her neighbouring apartment.

No one there.

And she walked into the kitchen.

 

Everything was still in place just as she left the kitchen cleaned last time, except for the container of baby formula left open on the kitchen counter, and a half finished feeding bottle from the night previous, left in the sink without being washed.

Did he only feed Jinkyung? Hadn’t he made himself a ramyeon in the least?

 

“Ap- Appa...”

Baby Jinkyung was uttering her first few words these days. The very first word she managed to say was ‘Appa’, and fortunately, Junmyeon was at home to hear it at the lucky first time.

“Appa....”

Hearing the little girl from the bedroom, Jae In left the kitchen and followed the voice.

The little one was in her crib, leaning over the cushioned edge and impatiently calling her dad tiny hands trying their best to reach his bed. “Appa...”

Hungry, most probably.

And her dad was still lying on his bed, not waking up to his daughter’s calls.

Face covered in sweat which stuck the inky strands of hair to his forehead, eyebrows narrowed leaving a crease between them, and dry lips slightly apart, Junmyeon was in an uncomfortable looking slumber, half hidden between his blankets.

“Junmyeon-ssi!”

Jae In rushed up to the bed, at once knowing he was sick. And replacing the sweaty black locks of hair with her palm on his forehead, she mumbled his name again. “Junmyeon-ssi?”

He was burning with fever.

“Junmyeon-ssi,” the girl shook his by his shoulder, but the man was too out of senses to answer as he turned his head away unconsciously.

She decided to feed the child first.

~ ~ ~ ~

It took more than three hours for Junmyeon to finally open his eyes, to feel the touch of a wet towel on his forehead. Straining his eyes open, he saw her sitting by the edge of his bed, patting the wet fabric softly against his burning skin.

“Junmyeon-ssi are you awake?”

His blurred vision caught the girl as she placed her palm on his aching forehead to check the temperature. “The fever’s gone down. But I think the cold is still there.”

His throat was dry and itching with the need of water, but he didn’t want to ask for it.

“It’s all because of me. Because you were in the rain yesterday.”

It hurt more than the piercing headache when her fingers caressed through his hair.

“Do you want some water? You have to take the pills as well.”

 

“Leave.”

 

He turned his head away.

 

“Junmyeon-ssi first take the medicine-”

“Just leave. I don’t have enough strength to repeat myself.”

He to his side, turning away from her, staring into the blank wall in front of him.

Surprised, or rather shocked by the sudden outcome, Jae In remained silent.

“I can take care of my child. Jinkyung and I don’t want anyone else so you can leave.”

“Junmyeon-ssi you’re sick right now.”

 

“Why would you care?”

He turned back to look at her. And as the girl watched, he sat up with great difficult, pushing her hand away when she offered help.

And he walked up to the crib, to lift up the surprised little one in his arms. “Didn’t you say you’ll be leaving Seoul? Then why are you here? You should be packing your stuff and leaving by now shouldn’t you? I’ll wire your severance pay by the end of this month. I don’t have enough to pay it right now.”

The girl stood up, unable to believe how cold the forever soft hearted Junmyeon was becoming. Meanwhile he walked out to the balcony, carrying the little one who had decided to play with her dad’s messed up hair and pat his swollen cheeks. And Jae In followed them out at once.

“Junmyeon-ssi, I can’t-”

Hugging his child as closer as possible, Junmyeon turned his back towards her and stood staring at the Seoul streets. “Appa...” the baby hugged him lovingly, little arms encircling his neck.

Somehow the little one’s gesture made him tear up.

 

“Junmyeon-ssi you’ll make Jinnie catch the cold as well.” Jae In said worriedly. He didn’t turn back, not wanting her to see his weak side.

“That’s none of your business. She’s my child. Not yours.”

Those words drew her off th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter