Chapter 2: Clinomania

Hold Me Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone."- Blaise Pascal

 

 

 


The sound of Yujin's phone continued to ring, except this time, it wasn't her best friend continuously calling her, but her alarm.

 

 On the 8th snooze, Yujin finally moved as the hyped up music penetrated inside her ears, reaching her consciousness to finally flicker her eyes open.


"Ugh.." 


A groan escaped her lips as she tried to sit up on her bed, running her fingers on her hair and grabbed a handful of strands to be pulled. The sudden rush of realization that she's having a headache added another groan for her to utter.

After a few seconds of adjustment, she managed to reach her phone and cancel the alarm notification that has been bugging her since 45 minutes ago.

Yujin looked at her clock carefully.


9:45am.


"Oh..."

 


It's as if she participated in an ice-bucket challenge that trended years ago,  Yujin felt a cold rush on her body that made her jump on her bed, going straight to the bathroom to wash up. 


She has exactly fifteen minutes to prepare for her upcoming class. 


"I'm going to be late, I'm going to be late.."


She repeated the sad reality like a mantra.


Turning the faucet on, she suddenly felt another wave of her headache. 

 

"Ugh! What the hell happened last night?!"


She asked herself, and as she splashed water on her face, the glimpse of memories came right through her mind.


Looking at the mirror she suddenly held her lips.


"Minjoo.."


All the pressure and the idea of recollecting her memories aren't helping Yujin. She didn't know what to do first, but her mind says that she should be arriving at the school in less than fifteen minutes.


After washing up, she went directly to her closet trying to look for a quick dress up but at the same time appropriate for university students.


Yujin placed her hands on her waist breathing heavily.


"You can do this, Yujin."

 


With determined eyes, she quickly grabbed a Stussy long sleeves and wore it. Brushing her hair quick, Yujin landed on a book on the table.


It was the Poem collection that she happened to be looking for, and for sure Yena was the one who had placed it on top of her table.

 


And that was when Yujin started to malfunction as a robot.

 


For she remembered her final paper to be passed today, specifically on her class that will start in ten minutes.

 


"Somebody please kill me!!!!!!!!!"

 


Yujin yelled her lungs out that made her Mother knock on her door, worried.

 

 


The devastated girl sat at the cafeteria alone, she tried chewing her sandwich but she was close to spitting it out, not digesting the idea that she just lost a big percentage of her GWA just because of a stupid final research paper that she wasn't able to do because of attending the party in which she didn't want to attend to in the first place. 

 


She tried remembering the hardships of studying and reading at late nights just to survive her grade and reach the quota for students exclusively having scholarships.


But all of that got ruined just because of the single 'F' that she got for her finals in a major subject.


A groaning girl sat in front of Yujin which caught the latter's attention. By just seeing her, Yujin felt like her nostrils are heating up as she breathed.

 


"Morning, Yujin-ah," 

 


Yena greeted her best friend carelessly, she was not having a good day as well because of the major hangover she's feeling explaining the amount of soup she has on her tray.

 


"I'm having a splitting headache," Yena mentioned, she started to drink her soup, "I don't even want to drink anymore." She added.

 

But then, Yujin suddenly smacked the table getting the attention of other student's at the cafeteria. 

 

 

"YAH!"

 


Yena got surprised at her best friend who was having stern eyes towards her. The shorter girl just hugged herself, blinking at Yujin.

 


"How could you just say simple things like that?! Do you even know what happened to me?! I'm on the verge of failing a subject that threatens the scholarship entitled to me to be taken away just because I didn't pass a research paper!"

 


Yujin tightened her knuckles and breathed. She closed her eyes trying to calm herself.

 


The idea of her best friend, not even caring about what happened to her makes her suffocated. She felt like crying in an instant.

 


"Hey, Yujin! Calm down will you?"

 


Yena scoffed and went back to sitting properly. She took another sip on her soup.

 


"Look, I'm sorry that you have to feel like that. It's not like you died anyway! Plus.."

 


Yujin finally looked back at Yena. 

 


"Who told you to drink so much?!? I was just expecting you to have fun not to be a burden."

 


The taller girl felt another headache, her memories from last night are suddenly being vivid.

 


"Do you even know how heavy you are? For your information, I was the one who brought you home. Good thing your Mom is okay with you being drunk or else you might have been a slice of dead meat!"

 

Yena explained her best, she looked at Yujin who seems to have an existential crisis at the moment.

 


"Another good thing was Minjoo being a kind one, she tried to help me hail a cab for us."

 


With the mention of the name, Yujin's reaction got blank all of a sudden.

 


She unconsciously touched her lips which led Yena to a smirk.

 


"Plus, I don't think you're regretting last night that much." The shorter girl chuckled a little.

 


Yujin looked at her best friend.

 


"Minjoo-ssi...how d-did she get home last night?" She swallowed. 

 


If there's a memory that she remembered, it would be the last moment before passing out, and that was kissing Kim Minjoo whom she just met.

 


"Hitomi and Minjoo are pretty sober, they were able to go home like the usual," Yena answered her best friend as she twirled the Japchae using her fork.  "Why? Did something happen? You seem worried."


"N-no..nothing really. I'm just afraid they got too drunk as well.."


With her lame excuse, Yujin wrapped her sandwich back, not having the appetite anymore.


She was holding an unfamiliar feeling. Like there was something unusual on her chest and she couldn't comprehend it out. What happened last night was truly a new experience for her. But, it was too fast for her mind to process. 


It felt like she stepped outside her principles and did a very wrong thing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Letting herself fall on her bed, Yujin sighed again for the nth time. Her mood isn't helping her to think clearly.

 


She just wants to stay on her bed all day. 

 


Fortunately, she doesn't have a class on the next two days and that made her breathe for a little. The incident that happened to her today was more a small portion that ruined her determination already like there was a discouragement that took place with all of her life perspectives.

 


"What's happening to me.." She asked herself. And another thought came to her mind. It was none other than the image of Kim Minjoo.

 


"She's so pretty." Recalling the softness of Minjoo's lips made Yujin feel butterflies. She couldn't believe that she kissed a pretty girl last night just because she had the courage to, thanks to the alcoholic drinks.

 

After two hours, Yujin found herself waking up on her bed, not wanting to get up. Hearing the sound of the rain didn't help her to be motivated enough to do other things than to lie down. 

 


She looked at the clock and it was eight in the evening.

 


The short sleep helped her headache, fortunately.

 


Not long after, a knock on her bedroom was heard by the latter.

 


"Yujin-ah, are you awake?"

 


The sight of her mom made Yujin sat up on her bed again. "Yeah?"

 


Yujin's mom looked at her smiling, "I'm glad that you're resting but..I need a favor."

 


She waited for her Mom. 

 


"I kind of need you to bring this to your Dad. He won't be coming home tonight because he's having a night dinner on his officemate's house. It's a bit near, so please bring this to him."

 


Yujin looked at the pile of clothes that her Mom was holding.

 


"Bring the car, okay? Be careful about driving since it's raining hard."

 

The tall girl stood up, not having any choice but to obey her Mother. 

 


"All right, just give me a second." She tied her hair and wore her specs. 


"Yujin-ah." 

 


Her mom called her which made Yujin glance back.


"Yes, Mom?"

 


There was a couple of seconds of silence before her Mom uttered a word.

 


"You seem distracted, is there any problem?" There was a worried look on her face and Yujin can notice it.

 


She gulped trying to think if it's right to tell her Mom what  just happened to her that day.

 


And she knew that she should.

 


"Actually Mom, I wasn't able to make a final paper last night because I got too drunk. I'm sorry, I might lose the scholarship."

 


She shut her eyes close, waiting for an incoming nagging or maybe a slap from her Mom. She felt guilty to disappoint her parents just because of that single night.

 


However, instead of a painful smack on the head, Yujin felt her Mom's hand, slowly rubbing her shoulders.

 


"Sweetie, look at me."

 


Yujin pursed her lips, embarrassed with herself. 

 


"Back when I told you that you should be responsible as you grow up, I didn't mean for you to push yourself in everything,"

 


Then her Mom reached for her head. 


"I told you to be responsible for yourself, to be able to face every consequence in every action. That's how should it be."

 


Yujin suddenly remembered some of Minjoo's words, that's why it sounded a bit familiar. 

 


"It's actually easy to say, but it's challenging to do so."

 


Yujin understood her Mom, as a person with intelligence, she knew that what she can understand is different from what she has to experience. 

 


"Well, go ahead and take care of driving okay?"

 

 

Yujin saw her Mother walking out of her bedroom. 

 


 

 


"Mom? Yeah, I was able to give it to Dad." Yujin turned the engine of the car as she sighted his Dad waving at her.


Yujin nodded and waved back to her Father  as she maneuvered the car, "Yes, Mom, I'll be on my way back home."


After that, Yujin dropped the phone call. She shortly chuckled at her Dad who's obviously drunk with her colleagues. Not long after, she started driving.


Her Mom was right, the rain is pouring h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter