Article 1

Miranda Rights

The sound of her red pumps clicking through the floor echoed in the dark, empty hall. The busy hallway that was always filled with paralegals, lawyers and secretary buzzing around was clearly different from what it looks like right now. Her hand bag was slung around her shoulder since she believes that she should always keep her hand empty in order to defend herself or just slap anyone. 

The dignified lady turn left and stopped in front of a tinted glass door. A black name plaque was on the wall with the name, Jung Sooyeon, written in gold, capital letters. She read the name again, thankful that they changed it to her Korean name already. It's been months since she told her boss that she wanted her name plaque to have her Korean name rather than her American name. After all, she was finally getting a name for herself. 

The legal circuit didn't know her as Jessica Jung but Jung Sooyeon. The Iron Lady at the court. 

She unlocked her office and shook her head at the stacks of paper left on her desk. Sooyeon just returned from a three day trip from America since she had to attend a seminar there. Her trip there made her forget the papers she had to finish up on her return. 

"There are reasons why we have paralegals" she told to no one. At first, she was pretty determined to finish up everything but seeing that the work was only minor, she decided to ask her paralegal to finish it up for her. She took some folders that contained some cases offered to her. 

The lawyer leaned comfortably on the chair. Her eyes scanned to the current case that she was reading. She was only disturbed when her phone rang. Sooyeon looked at the called and wonder what this person wants at an ungodly hour. 

", tell me you're back already" 

The distressed voice on the other line made Sooyeon wonder what seems to be the problem. 

"Well you could say 'hello' first" 

The sarcasm was evident on her voice but it was unnoticed by the worried caller. 

"I was assigned to the "idol" case" 

Sooyeon glanced at the newspaper under the pile of folders on her desk. Balancing her phone with her shoulder, she carefully took it out and read the headlines silently. 

"You mean the one with the Big Bang member?" 

The lawyer stared at the picture of youngest member of Big Bang that was on the cover page of the newspaper. The first time the news was broadcasted, Sooyeon thought that it would be resolved quickly. But as each day passed by, it seems like the issue got bigger and bigger as more names are starting to be involved.

"Yes... I sense that there is some bigger issue behind it" 

Sooyeon knew that her friend were picking her words carefully. After all, an issue this big could only just be a front into something bigger. She was surprised that it was finally an issue worthy of their time, unlike the "idol dating" fronts that they used to do in the previous years. 

"You do know you called the wrong person, Taeng" 

Kim Taeyeon is a prosecutor finally making a name for herself. She handle cases that would often require communication with the police department. Despite knowing this fact, the prosecutor knew that Sooyeon was competent enough when it comes to researching when it comes to cases like this. The lawyer wouldn't be called the Iron Lady for nothing. 

"I know, I know. I just need your help and you're someone I really trust" 

Taeyeon whispered on the other end of the line. The prosecutor has no choice but to accept this case. She knew the possibility that most suspects would be "guilty" yet there was still a possibility that this celebrities are being framed up in order to cover some underground dirty works. She wasn't asking Sooyeon to help with the case but to dig deaper to make sure there wasn't anything bigger behind it.

"Why don't you give her call? I would gladly help you with anything Taeng... But it seems way out of my jurisdiction" 

 

 

 

 

The Next Day
Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency

"Tell me again why are reporters flocking us outside?" 

A dishelved Jung Hoseok uttered. His hair was sticking all over the place, his uniform was crinkled and his shoes looked like it has been stepped on a thousand times. 

"Well those celebrities were transferred here this morning."

The female inspector grunted. She was also annoyed since the reporters have caused a huge hold up during the transfer. The cops who accompanied the transfer were shocked. Microphones were being shoved onto their faces, cameras were snapping from everywhere and Jisoo swore she will be blind before she could get back in the agency. 

Hoseok shook his head symphatetically. His experience was less stressful than what the female inspector have experienced. 

"Who do you think will prosecute the cases?" 

Jisoo slumped on her desk as she asked. Although, she immediately fixed herself when Prosecutor Kim entered. 

"Ah, Prosecutor Kim!" 

Jisoo exclaimed, he right hand was in the midway of a salute but the prosecutor just smiled at her. 

"Miss Kim is fine. You do know that my cousin is also a prosecutor" 

Jisoo flushed at Taeyeon's remark, nodding her head. The prosecutor looked around the agency, her briefcase was tightly held by her left hand. She lifted an eyebrow when she saw the woman she was looking for. 

"Kwon!" 

The senior inspector looked at the prosecutor, a chuckle escaping her lips before she called her out. 

"Kim!" 

People who heard Yuri shout turned to look at her. The senior inspector realizing what she has done bowed her head apologetically. 

"Why do you have to have such a common last name?" 

"Well, at least I'm not an idiot for shouting it in a floor full of people" 

Taeyeon retorted back while following Yuri into her office. 

"It's not my fault that most people here in Korea are Kim's" 

Yuri shut the door once Taeyeon set foot into her office. Yuri's office was relatively small but the senior inspector didn't mind. The book shelf was filled with books although the prosecutor was sure that Yuri didn't even read them. A picture when Yuri was in the academy was also placed there, alongside with the picture of her family and close friends. Taeyeon couldn't help but scan the pictures and whistled when she noticed that a certain girl was missing. 

"Never expected you to be the person who burns pictures of her ex" 

Taeyeon commented once she settled in into the couch that was in the middle of Yuri's office. The senior inspector groaned at the said comment. 

"Why are you all looking for pictures of her? Even Min noticed that her picture wasn't here" 

Yuri shook her head at the memory when she first called out the inspector in her office. That guy didn't even greeted her but commented the lack of picture of a certain lawyer. 

"So why did you come here?" 

Yuri diverted the topic before Taeyeon could ask more about her previous girlfriend. Taeyeon opened her briefcase before taking out some files. 

"I have a feeling that there's something more in the case"