Noche Buena

Wish List

"Yah, Sunyoung-ah! Where are you? Do you have any idea what time it is?!"

 

"Yeah yeah, I'm sorry. Recording took a little while. I'm on my way home."

 

"Good! Hurry up okay? You're the only one missing."

 

Luna was unable to respond any further as her twin sister promptly ended the call once she finished talking. She stared at her phone for a second before letting out a sigh. She asks her manager politely if he could hurry.

 

She has always loved Christmas since she was a little kid. It was  a time where she could spend time with the most important people in her live. Even during the times she was training to become an idol, she always welcomed the holidays since it was the only time she allowed herself to rest. When she debut as an idol, the holidays usually meant more work but she was still happy about it since it meant she was living her dream.

 

But for some reason, she felt a little down despite the holiday being mere hours away.

 

She feels the van come to a stop and she realizes that they have arrived. She thanks her manager, greets him a "Merry Christmas" and reminds him to drive carefully on his way home.

 

"I'm home!" she calls as she entered the threshold of the home she grew up in. Her greeting was met with silence and this brought Luna's mood down even more, thinking that her family had decided to not wait for her.

 

She walked into the living room and her eyes grew wide at the sight of the person sitting on the couch.

 

"Yo!"

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"I'm hurt, Luna." the tomboy even touched the place over her heart as she acted as if she was really hurt physically. "You ask as if you do not want me here."

 

Of course that wasn't the case. It's quite the opposite actually. Every year since Amber came to South Korea to train to become an idol as well, Luna has invited the older girl to spend Christmas with her and her family. It was an invitation she repeats each and every year the past 7 years. An invitation Amber has kindly declined every year. She was would just smile at the rejection but deep inside her heart felt a heavy.

 

"Oh you're finally here!" The two girls turned towards Luna's twin who was emerging from the dining room. "Just in time too. Come one, the food is ready. Let's go Amber."

 

"Amber and I actually met each other at the mart. So I invited her to join us." Jin Young, her twin, tells her as the three of them walked towards the dining room.

 

After greetings, the family prayed before digging in. There was not a dull moment during dinner. Amber, as expected of her, kept the Park family entertained with her funny stories and antics. Her parents were quite taken with the tomboy and her siblings were riding her jokes. Luna can finally feel the festive season as laughter filled the air.

 

As they finished dinner, Luna volunteered to do the dishes since she was unable to help with the food preparation and Amber went on to help her with it despite the protest of everyone.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

Luna looks up from the plate she was soaping to look at Amber. The latter's head was down, her eyes never leaving the plate she was rinsing.

 

"It was rude of me to intrude your family dinner. I wanted to decline but I also didn't have the heart to say no to your twin."

 

Luna looked down and continued her task as she responded. "You don't have to apologize. My sister invited you so that means you were welcome to join us."

 

"I know she just being polite so she asked me. I should really have said no. You were really quiet throughout dinner. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

 

"I wasn't uncomfortable but rather tired from work." she sighs. "I admit that I was surprised to see you here. I've been inviting you to come over these past years but you never came. Is that why you kept rejecting me… my offer I mean? You thought I was asking you out of politeness."

 

Luna once again raised her head to look at the older woman. Even if the latter did not speak, she already knew the answer.

 

She looked down to her work once more before she spoke. "I wasn't asking you to come out of politeness or even pity, you know? I genuinely wanted you to come."

 

It was the elder's turn to be surprised as she could see her raising her to look at her from her peripheral vision. But she completely turned the tables on her when the tomboy surprised her when she pulled her into an embrace.

 

"I'm sorry… I'm such an idiot really…" Amber whispers. "If you would allow me... I would like to spend every Christmas with you."

 

Luna can feel tears prick at the corners of her eyes at the request. She nodded her head against the elder's chest as she returned the embrace.

 

Finally, after many years, her wish had come true. 

 

 

----------------------------------------

Merry Christmas everyone!