Radio Call (Finale)

Radio Call

“You’re my type, you’re my type

Even if you don’t say anything, I have a feeling

From your head to your toes, everything.”

-My Type, iKON

 

She was silent and he was too. The confrontation from when Taemin arrived at two thirty this morning was still fresh from their minds and both refused to forget any bit of it. Eight o’clock of a Saturday, Jieun was staring blankly at him from across the kitchen counter as if she was carefully choosing words at the back of her mind. It was like picking out pieces of vase fragments on the floor just to make sure he won’t step on them.

“So..”

“I-“

And just when she finally got the guts to say something, he decided to interrupt. ‘Great job, Taemin.’ He thought to himself. He still thought that she was cute though –the way she shyly tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear as a ghost of smile appeared on her lips.

“You want coffee?” He bravely asked, hoping that it will ease the awkwardness between them.

“Y-Yes, please.” And he cannot help but smile at the fact that he makes her nervous and stutter. She was usually silent yet confident with her words once she speaks so seeing her like this was something new. Maybe it was an aftereffect, like a massive tsunami wave moments after an earthquake. And the earthquake was the very moment he took a step inside the apartment at two thirty in the morning, roosters still too sleepy to crow.

Her eyes were wide as it could be. She was surprised over something she discovered and still cannot fathom what just happened even if the answer was staring back at her, right in front of her. It seemed like he ran, forehead glistening with cold sweat, breathing still uneven. He ran and finally reached the finish line. It was time to cross it.

“Jieun…” He mumbled under his breath but she heard it loud and clear. A million thoughts could have passed by his head at that very moment. He wanted to run away and dig his own grave. He wanted to grab her and pull her in a very tight hug. He wanted to pretend like nothing happened and she was wrong, whatever her deductions were. He wanted to do a lot but his legs won’t budge. Taemin stayed on the very same spot, unable to move an inch as if her gaze were stopping him from doing so.

“I’m sorry.” He continued. And he did not know for what he was really asking forgiveness for. It was perhaps because of not telling her that he was DJ Nu. Maybe it was for keeping his feelings from her, for staying awake on weekend nights, admiring her self-composed songs through the walls of their rooms, for stealing glances at her in the living room. Probably it was for everything.

And when she took a deep breath, he was prepared to get beaten up. Taemin was ready to receive punches and slaps because he deserved it. However, what she did was quite the unexpected. Jieun immediately ran behind the curtain by the windows, hiding as if she’ll turn invisible.

“Are you really DJ Nu?” She asked, hesitation evident with her tone.

“Yes... W-What are you doing-“ He took a few steps forward, confused as to why the lady was hiding behind the curtain.

“No, no. Don’t come near me! Ah- It’s so embarrassing. IjustconfessedthroughthephoneandIdidn’tknowitwasyouandwhatthehellwereyouthinkingnottellingyourroommateaboutbeingDJNuthisissounbelievable.” She was mumbling words to herself and she thought that he wouldn’t hear any of them but he did. And he found it cute. He thought that she was cute acting like this.

A smile crept on his face, stopping a few strides away from Jieun. He could clearly see her silhouette and even though she was hiding, he knew that she was looking right back at him and that made his heart skip. “Because you didn’t ask? Um, but have you heard what I said after the line was cut.”

Taemin waited, nervous of her answer. And when she finally nodded her head, his cheeks started to burn. It was then that everything struck into him. He just confessed at the show, though it was not clear since he added ‘maybe’. But he was sure she was able to read him, his actions and his mind. He was never like this before. He was just the type of guy who never confesses –the type to just ignore proposals and letters from girls in school. But here he was, in front of the girl who has been keeping him sleepless for the past few weeks.

“Ah, .” He immediately hid behind the curtain next to hers, planting his face on his palm.

“What are you doing-?!”

“I’m embarrassed too. I’ve got to, at least, hide from my crush.” He blurted out and that made her blush. Too much that she looked like someone who drank a bottle of soju, the corner of her lips almost reaching her ears. And the bowl of ramen was still sitting on top of the table and completely forgotten.

Taemin gave her a cup of freshly made coffee, a cup of his own in his other hand. It was then that a faint smile broke into his face as he looked away, trying his best to not let her see through him. And even though Jieun was taking a sip from her drink, her eyes can’t seem to leave Taemin.

“If you continue to stare at me like that, I’ll probably melt like an ice in summer.” He sneakily glanced at her, noticing the sudden flush of pink on her cheeks. After barely having a blink of sleep from all the events, he seemed to have regained the confidence he once lost.

“I wasn’t looking-“ Jieun immediately denied before resting the cup on the kitchen counter, her eyes finally meeting the cupboard behind him as if it was the most interesting piece in the apartment.

He just shrugged at her answer and if he was not observant enough, he would have probably missed that millisecond pout she just made. He wanted to play cool in front of her and he was afraid that he just ruined the moment with a simple gesture that he was used to doing.

Soon after, Taemin found himself seated on his bed, the cup of coffee long-forgotten on his desk, his phone on his hand. His heart was racing -nervous, anxious, scared, excited. And he was thinking if she was too. Or perhaps, hers was a mixture of confusion and disappointed after he stupidly shrugged at her. Nonetheless, he still dialed her number.

“Hello?”

“Hello, DJ IU. Mind helping me out with my problem?” He lay in his bed, hugging his favorite pillow closer. There was a pause in the other line -too long to be a pause that for a second, he thought that Jieun already hung up.

“Idiot.” She blurted out. “Hey- I— I didn’t mean to say that. It just… came out.” She continued and he ended up laughing at her sudden rambling of words. It was like a new side of her and he was being greedy. He wanted to see all of the sides, edges and angles –bad or not.

“A new addition to my countless nicknames.” He told her before turning to his side, foolishly grinning at the wall in front of him. “Well, here goes my problem..” Taemin took a deep breath before continuing. “I got this crush on a girl and she knows about it and it so happens that she likes me too—“

“Hey! When did I say that I like you too?” She cut him off suddenly.

“It was not directly but you just said you like me…” He explained and when she didn’t protest, he continued on. “So I’ve got a crush on this girl and I wanted to get to know her more so I’m planning to ask her out for a dinner tonight.”

“T-Tonight?!” She stuttered and he let out a low chuckle.

“Just as friends first. You know, to know each other more.” He suggested. Taemin wasn’t one of those who are in a rush when it comes to relationships. He has always wanted to take things sweetly and slowly like watching the drops of water against the window pane on a rainy day, like counting the dots of stars in the night sky. He wanted to cherish every moment and instill every bit of it in his heart and mind.

“Tonight.” This time, it was not a question. And he was looking forward to the time they wouldn’t be questioning their feelings too. It was not yet today but he was hoping that someday, somehow, it will happen. They would be certain with their emotions and it would be mutual.

“See you.” He whispered softly yet she heard it. The phone call has ended and another caller’s problem has been solved. Silence echoed through the apartment but this time, it did not sound too lonely. He was smiling and she was too.

 

A/N: Finally, I wasn't too lazy today to write this! Congratulations to me!! Well, I actually felt bad for not giving in to sequel requests and to those who's been asking me to continue my chaptered story, 'Can You See Me'. So to those who are subscribed to my other stories, please see this as a way of saying 'sorry' and 'thank you'. I love you, guys. I hope this chapter is good enough to make you smile today. Give me your thoughts about this chapter, yeah? Aaaaaand for those who haven't heard the news yet, our IU's in a relationship now. I was actually quite surprised and bothered at first because of the 11 year . I was actually rooting for Lee Hyunwoo before since they were really close friends. Or Taeyang because 101 reasons. But she seems to be happy and so I'm happy for her too. It's a part of life and I do hope her boyfriend will take good care of her (or else... *glares*.. heh, just kidding). Let's continue to support her, yes? And I'll still be writing mostly Taemin-IU stories because I'm a stubborn shipper and no one can stop me!!! That's it! I'm going to sleep now. Have an awesome weekend, everyone!

PS: I hope no one got confused.. The gray/italized part is the flashback from when they confronted each other. So story line was like 8:00AM then 2:30AM then 8 something-ish AM. Heh. Love you, guys!!