Because I'm stupid

Because I'm stupid

 

Ushering the taller individuals as she spared a glance at the shared bedroom, a small girl can be seen, pulling her fellow band mates as she took them to their dorm’s kitchen in secrecy.

 

“Girls, be sure not to let Seungwan notice ok? I’ll be counting on you two”

 

Raising her arms as the maknae gave a gesture of salute, the tall pair of Red Velvet gave their leader a wide smile, with Joy linking arms to the known teddy bear as they went on to fulfill Irene’s mission to them.

 

Since it will be Wendy’s birthday on the upcoming February 21st, the unobviously biased unnie wants to throw a surprise party for the resident derp.

 

Deciding to make western food to suit the Canadian girl’s style, she knew that it will be quiet the challenge so she must get the needed ingredients prepared, thus she sent the younger ones to do the grocery shopping.

 

Smiling at her dongsaeng’s, she then shooed them away before she acted like nothing happened, making sure that the future birthday celebrant would not know any of their up-coming plans.

 

Going out in the coldness of the night, the chicken lover with the mammal replica began travelling through the almost deserted street, with few people walking alongside them.

 

On their way to the nearest market, the chubby cheeked girl pulled a long paper that seems like their list.

 

“What do you think unnie will make?”

 

She then asked, seeing the items that they needed to find.

 

Taking a peek at the words in the white paper, Seulgi smiled when something familiar caught her eyes.

 

“I think Wendy would love the pasta best”

 

She then said.

 

Turning her gaze to see the wide grin on the older girl’s face, something heavy was pinned down on the youngest as she felt her chest tightens with negative emotions.

 

[Joy Pov]

 

Hearing what unnie had to say, a pang of resent made it through me, somehow, a little disheartened at the reaction I got from the older girl.

 

Though it was nothing to be jealous about, I can’t help but feel envious of the enthusiasm the eye smiling girl had shown.

 

When it was my birthday, all she did was slept it through just like any other day. But when it was Wendy unnie’s turn, she’s now here with me, shopping for items and helping prepare for a surprise party.

 

Whether it was something more or not, I knew I shouldn’t be bearing such for a fellow member. Especially for a girl who is more like an older girl to me, someone who is like a family.

 

“I’m really very foolish. I know of no one other than you…

You’re looking at someone else, yet you have no idea of my feelings like this”

 

Sure enough, it was not the first time I had seen her like this. Back in our trainee days, she would sometimes look at Irene unnie with such adoring gaze, as if she was being mesmerized.

 

Through the time I get to realize, I’m now sitting at the same predicament, with me watching her from the sidelines like she had done so in the past.

 

Whether she had or have feelings for the unnies or not, I don’t think I have the heart to know.

 

Diverting my gaze as I decided to set it aside, I unconsciously pulled my arms in retreat, unlinking our bond.

 

[Seulgi Pov]

 

After I had told Joy about my opinion to the list, it was then when she got lost in thought, momentarily pausing as she looked at me with such pain stricken eyes.

 

Though I was known to be dense, the said action was still noticed by me, but decided not to say anything, or do something about it.

 

She then walked ahead with me trailing behind.

 

“As I watch you walking past, I’m still happy…

Even if you still don’t know my heart”

 

I know I’m not in any place to be glad about it, but somehow, knowing that she cares more than she should, made me feel content.

 

And as I watched her leaving image, something agonizing began to strike me in echoing pain.

 

It could have been like seeing myself in my younger days. The ‘me’ who looked like a fool because of unrequited love.

 

And it’s as if seeing an image of that part of my hidden self, it was then I realized that I’m no different than the ones who had hurt me in the past.

 

****
 

Reaching the place after the long silence, they entered the shopping mart, not forgetting to pull over their couple hoodies while they choose a large push cart.

 

Checking the things they needed to buy, they momentarily took their own routes as they divided the shopping list, to make buying faster and more efficient.

 

Choosing the easier ones, the taller one went to the opposite aisle, making her stare at the girl on the other side.

 

[Joy Pov]
 

Looking at unnie who was choosing at the other side, I can’t help but spare a glance at her direction every now and then, wondering on what she could be thinking of.

 

Tough it was such a trivial matter, it was important to me and I don’t know why.

 

Of course, being the big dumb oblivious stupid bear she is, she never once stared back in return as she was busy finding the items at her part of the list.

 

Soon enough, both of us were done with our set.

 

Going out of the store as we finally finished shopping, I then carried the lighter ones as unnie insisted so, making me pout at her before she walked ahead of me.

 

It was when we walked by a deserted playground when something clicked on my mind.

 

[Seulgi Pov]

 

Focusing on the list I have, I was on my way to the other side when I caught a glimpse of the mirror that was at the end of the aisle I’m in, giving me a view of the taller girl who seemed to be thinking deeply at the other side of the place.

 

Momentarily sparing it a glance, I found myself following the girl in it as my feet started walking on its own.

 

Making me realize I was getting distracted, I then smiled when I saw her pouting at the list that I presume had some English named ingredients to it.

 

I was about to offer my help when she suddenly pulled her hair and ruffled it in annoyance.

 

And as I shake my head at her adorable antics, I finally find myself completing the set on my list. Soon enough, were finally done shopping.

 

Getting the heavier ones to make up for not helping her, it was when we were heading back home that something caught the eyes of our dear maknae.

 

When I turn to see what it was, a sudden nostalgic feeling came onto me as I stared at the other with a smile on my face.

 

****
 

“Unnie! Look, a swing~!”

 

Running to the direction where she pointed at, Red Velvet’s maknae was finally acting her age as she proudly showed her discovery to the older girl, immediately putting down the groceries as she didn’t think twice and sits herself in it.

 

Swinging her feet as she let the wind blows them gentle breeze, the resident bear sat on the one beside the younger girl. Looking at the older girl, Seulgi had this smile that was both sad and melancholic.

 

“Maybe I won’t be in your days…nor be in your memories either…

But to me, there is only you, I looked only at you and the tears keep coming…”

 

Not wanting to let down the surge of emotions, it was then when the maknae broke her gaze. Unknown to her, the older girl saw her at the corner of her yes.

 

“Joy…”                                                                     

 

Though she was as hurt, she knew she couldn’t do anything about it either.

 

It was already heart breaking to see the younger one hurting, more so knowing she was the cause of it.

 

“Maybe I can’t be with you for always, nor stay beside you either…

However, only you is enough, I smile only for you even if I’m making memories alone”

 

And as she prolonged her gaze at the other girl, a trickle of something warm flowed from her left eye.

 

****
 

Rubbing the orbs as she faked a hurt expression, the older one was too embarrassed at her sudden action that she camouflaged the happening with her stating that something caught her eyes, making the taller girl leave the comforts of the wooden seat of the swing as she tends to her unbelievably clumsy unnie.

 

“Unnie, stay still and let me look at it”

 

Joy then said, making the other comply forcefully when the bear refused to do so.

 

“It’s nothi-”

 

And as the taller one firmly held the struggling bear, it soon leads to them in such awkward position.

 

Holding onto the other’s wrist, their faces are now inches apart as they gaze at each other, their eyes wavering in unknown emotion as both held onto the stare down.

 

Swallowing the lump on , the maknae didn’t have the heart to let go. It was such a moment and she felt her heart started to beat faster as seconds pass by.

 

With the older girl feeling the same, in that short moment, she knew she had fallen deep.

 

It was such a perfect chance to let their feelings out and both knew it was now or never.

 

And just like that, the world stopped spinning for both of them as they slowly leaned forwards.

 

****
 

With their lips almost touching, the gap that separating them slowly closes when the older girl felt something, slowly suffocating her as she felt like a sword was being held close to neck.

 

It was none other than fear.

 

Stopping before she lost her consciousness, Seulgi forcefully pulled out at the very last second, feeling ashamed of what she had thought of doing as she diverted her gaze.

 

If she let such incident took place, there’s no knowing what might have happened and that’s what the other feared the most.

 

“I’m sorry…I told you it was…nothing…”

 

She then said, turning away when the younger girl eventually loses her grip on her wrist.

 

Seeing how the other clearly expected her to return her feelings right that moment, tears flowed freely from the younger girl’s eyes.

 

And as much as she wanted to wipe them away, the older girl knew she didn’t have the right to do so.

 

“Let’s…go home…I’m tired”

 

Walking away as she forced her feet to follow her commands, she became the coward girl she never was as she let tears flow on her face as well.

 

****
 

After completing the assigned task to them, the duo of tall girls came back to their dorm in awkward silence. Somehow, even if they were beside one another, they were not together in both heart and mind.

 

Of course, knowing them for quite a while, they cannot hide the fact to the unnie of the group.

 

“Hey, did something happen along the way?”

 

She then asked, but only the blowing wind answered her.

 

Though the leader was sensitive at moments like this, she knew it was not her business and she shouldn’t pry at whatever befallen the younger girls.

 

And as she heaved a sigh at the unusual calmness, she then dismissed the idea as she patted both girls’ shoulders.

 

“Let’s go get some sleep. We’ll talk about it some other day”

 

****
 

The next day, since they had no schedule or commitments, Irene thought of treating the girls out for a lunch out, wanting to unwind their nerves and perhaps loosen a bit before their awaited comeback.

 

Deciding to go to that famous theme park, the moment she announced the good news, the gang shouted cheers and they soon found themselves getting ready for that rare day off.

 

Inside the place, they rode tons of ride though it had become apparent that the youngest and the second oldest tries to avoid being with each other.

 

Eventually, the pairing leads with the oldest and the youngest while the same aged friends stuck together like super glue.

 

Ever since that moment, Irene never thought she would see such lonely eyes from the usually bright girls.

 

****
 

Today, being that special day where their beloved member is now celebrating her birthday, the members of Red Velvet made a surprise to the unknowing band mate.

 

“Hey guys? Why is it so dark in here?”

 

Finding the switch so she could turn on the lights, the known derp soon found herself staring at a large cake and three other girls who began singing to her.

 

“Happy Birthday Wendy ah~”

“Happy Birthday unnie~!”

“Happy Birthday Wan-ah~”

 

All the girls shouted by the end of the song.

 

Feeling touched at the small event, tears flowed out from the celebrant’s eyes as she thanked her second family, gathering them for a hug after blowing the candles on her cake.

 

In the middle of the huddle, hands inevitably touched and overlapped one another. Which belonged to Joy and Seulgi’s.

 

Matching each other’s gaze, they soon broke off, almost pulling their hands away if not for Irene’s grip on them.

 

Sure enough, the unwanted awkwardness was ended by Wendy who suddenly shouted when the leader patted her in a teasing manner.

 

****
 

“One more!”

 

Taking the small glass away from the flailing hands of the taller girl, the leader of the known pastry named group gave a stern scolding on their giant maknae. Just because she’s of legal age now, doesn’t mean she should be drinking more than necessary.

 

Besides, it was not like she didn’t know that something was bothering the youngest.

 

“No more Joy, you’re acting like you’re drunk already”

 

Irene then said.

 

“Yes! ACTING! So it means I’m not drunk yet!”

 

Replied the chubby cheeked girl, face having a bright red color to it.

 

Shaking her head in disapproval, it was at times like this where the oldest started to act her age.

 

“When I said no, it means no. You’re not taking a single sip you hear?”

 

Looking at how their giant pouted, she then reluctantly stood up before she almost tripped on their flat living room floor.

 

Watching at the sideline, two girls felt a pang of guilt rushing past them. One blamed herself for how the other acted while the other was feeling at fault because she was the one who suggested the toast, and it was her party after all.

 

“Wendy, Seulgi, I’ll be taking this kid to our room, clean the rest of the mess ok?”

 

The oldest then stated, making the other girls nod as she helped the tipsy one to their room.

 

And while they watched the scenario unfolds, the celebrant’s companion made a heavy sigh.

 

“Seulgi, you know you can tell me anything…”

 

Surprised at the words she heard, the resident teddy bear turn her gaze at the same age friend, momentarily checking her sanity in case she had became drunk and is now hearing things.

 

“Excuse me? What are you talking about?”

 

She then asked in feign ignorance.

 

“You and Joy, I don’t know exactly what happened between you two but I promise to hear you out”

 

Placing a hand on the staring bear, the known derp is now being serious.

 

Letting her heart cope up at the growing tension, Seulgi let out a deep breath before continuing her words.

 

“I think she likes me…”

 

****
 

Helping the taller girl as Joy suddenly slumped onto her bed in an instant, the older girl began grumbling when she felt her back, hurting from the ordeal as she glanced menacingly at her dongsaeng.

 

“You’re so paying for this one day…”

 

She then said, before the other’s low mumbles caught her attention. The resident giant was whispering a certain name and it made her heart sank at the words.

 

“You like her don’t you?”

 

Caressing the hair of the sleeping girl as she looked at the peaceful look of their group’s youngest, Irene couldn’t help but feel sad. Somehow, it was like seeing a sad love story.

 

Remembering how she overheard the maknae talking about certain someone whom she likes from her debut days, she immediately realized that it was none other than their resident bear.

 

From the way she looks at the other, her eyes were speaking volumes and it’s more than obvious that there’s more than meets the eye with her stares. She should know, she’s almost on the same boat too.

 

“Joy…”

 

If only she could, she wouldn’t want anything else but to give the younger girl the happiness she deserves. However, she was not the one to judge, for one cannot teach the heart whom to love after all.

 

And as she watched the other cried in her sleep, she then hugged her with all her might.

 

[Seulgi Pov]

 

“You think?”

 

Almost laughing at words she just heard, Wendy held onto my shoulders as she looked at me in the eyes. Since it had come to this, then maybe she might as well slap the truth to me.

 

“She loves you more than anyone else!”

 

She then said. Maybe it was the alcohol because I started to get dizzy with her every words.

 

“She freakin’ LOVES you Seulgi!”

 

She soon added.

 

Diverting my gaze in guilt, I slowly removed the hands that were clutching my shoulders.

 

“She loves the rest of us equally”

 

I then stated in denial. I honestly don’t want to question the maknae’s affection because I know it will hurt me more than it should.

 

Eventually turning my back at Wendy, I then heard her scoffed.

 

“I trust you know better”

 

She then retorted, making her words echoed painfully in my head.

 

Repeating again and again, it finally hit my enraged heart, making me turn around, clutching my fist as I faced the other.

 

“Then what do you want me to do Seungwan?! I like her the same way too! But I don’t want to lose her. I don’t want to lose us…”

 

I then said, it was this one time where I opened up my feelings and I feel so confused and lost.

 

“I love her…but because I’m stupid…I only hurt her! It shouldn’t be like this…”

 

Wanting to let out my rage as she buried my face onto her palms, it was the first time where the I let my tears fall freely, eventually losing my calm as I bit her lips, the amount of resent I had for myself was evident and it made my same age friend hang her head low.

 

“S-Seul…I’m sorry…”

 

Wendy then said.

 

Though she had never expected that I would bear the same feelings for our youngest, I know that she knew of the unspoken pain I had for the longest time and how she tried to hide it with a smile just like I do.

 

Approaching me slowly, she then engulfed me with the most comforting hug she could ever give.

 

[Joy Pov]

 

Feeling a pang of something heavy hitting my skull, I then woke up in the middle of the night, ignoring my aching head as I got off my bed to wash my face.

 

Not too far from where I am, I can see Irene unnie, peacefully sleeping on her place, with Wendy unnie facing the wall.

 

Making me stand up, I then shook my head when I didn’t get to see the last girl.

 

“Seulgi…unnie…”

 

Feeling like my tears would soon fall once again, I didn’t want to think anymore. It’s because I’m stupid that I kept loving her ever though I knew that she will not like me back, and that I sincerely wish for her to return my feelings one day.

 

Not wanting to add another pain on my throbbing head, I then hurriedly went out, wanting to drown away the sadness that suddenly went onto me.

 

****
 

After a refreshing shower she took, the giant maknae got out of their dorm to feel the coldness of night, somehow, she was in the mood for a light walk.

 

Passing by the familiar playground, she found herself getting on the swing once again.

 

And while she looks at the shining moonlight, she had smiled weakly at the sudden thought.

 

“Seulgi unnie…”

 

She then said, but not too long when another voice filled the supposedly silent place.

 

“Sooyoung ah…”

 

Feeling like she was being delusional, she then shook her head in denial.

 

“I’m really becoming stupid…”

 

She stated.

 

“Park Joy Sooyoung”

 

Turning her head in an instant, she knew for the second time she was not dreaming when she saw the older girl, looking back at her with a bitter sweet smile on her face.

 

“Unnie…”

 

****
 

Slowly approaching the taller girl, the image of a heartbroken girl filled her with sadness and pain, making her hold onto the face of the usually smiling unnie.

 

“I’m sorry Joy…I really am…and thank you…”

 

Seulgi then whispered, looking onto the eyes of the other.

 

“It’s ok unnie…I’m sorry too…”

 

Hugging each other tight, it was when the older girl held onto her that made the younger girl wrap her arms around the other’s shoulders. Afraid of having history repeats itself, it was when the other looked at her with such eyes, telling her how much she loves her that was hiding behind the cowering orbs.

 

And just like deijavou, they close the gap on their faces once again, but this time, the older one didn’t held back anymore.

 

Gently placing their lips onto the other’s own, tears slowly flowed down on their faces, softly inching closer as their feelings strengthen. It was a simple and chaste kiss.

 

Looking at each other for one last time, it was that time when both decided to let go of what they feel for one another. The ambiguity of their relationship might remain after the night ends, but the memory of it is something they would hold onto forever.

 

Sometimes in love, it’s not always a happy end. At some point in time, one has to realize that some people are meant to stay in their hearts, but not in their life.

 

- THE END -

 

Surprised? Well, it's definitely not very angsty but this is the most I could pull off. Nothing last forever! Keke. XP

But then again, my happy-ending-lover heart don't want such sad ending for my OTP after all. And as ironic as it might sound, I hope my readers had enjoyed this one shot. ^_^

 

Anyway, to that specific reader who asked if I could write a different genre, you know who you are, this fic is dedicated to you. I hope I stood up to your expectations. Drop me a comment so that I can know your thoughts if I did well~ :)

 

To all my great supporters and shippers, let's hwaiting hwaiting! Happy Chicbears (Chicbear hunters) day! I love ya all my fellow creatures~! XD

 

Again, to our derp and forever Olaf girl, Son Seungwan Wendy-kun, happy birthday to you! :D

 

Until my next fic~ Jya neh! ^^;