I Think They're Dating

The Touch of An Angel

       "What's going on between you and Hyuksoo, dearest?" Dara asks, resting her sharp little chin on my shoulder.

        "Ah, nothing," I smile.

        "Oh, boo!" Bom cries. "That's not true." 

        "Do you see the way he dotes on her?" Minji laughs. "It's the cutest thing ever!"

        "He touches you a lot," Dara says. I stop her hair and she nods matter-of-factly. "It's true. But you're too dense to really take note of it."

        Bom blinks a few times, her lips forming a dissatisfied pout. "Well, you're nice," she says sarcastically.

        Minji giggles a Minji giggle. Whatever that means!

        "She doesn't notice!" Dara says a bit loudly. "I love you, but you're weird when guys start to like you. You've always been one of the guys as friends with them, but when they touch you a little differently you freak out and they lose interest in trying to date you. It's so terrible! You're absolutely gorgeous and just generally perfect, but you're single. Like, how! I'm single because I'm old and too motherly, so I've been told."


        "Who told you that?" I ask.
        
        "My aunt," she laughs. "Whatever; she says those things all the time, so I don't care anymore."

        "Well, she's wrong," I add, trying to be helpful.


        She scoffs. "How sweet."

        "Sorry . . . ?"

        "Do you know he touches your head a lot?" Bom asks, biting her bottom lip.

        "I have noticed that, yeah." A nod comes in response.

        "It's so cute! He fixes your hair mostly. Sometimes you'll say something funny and he'll go to ruffle your hair, but he stops himself."

        I try to let this sink in. He does?

        "He tugs on his shirts, too," Minji says, clicking her thumbnails together. "He pulls on his jackets and shirts when you're around. He readjusts them a bit neater to make himself look more presentable." Who . . . How did she notice that?

        "He has a special little eyesmile that only shows when you talk." He smiles at a lot of people.

        "He laughs at you when you trip over your feet in the hall." Well, that's because I'm an awkward spazz.

        "All those random high-fives mean something, you know. He wants to touch you."

        I shake my head. "How do you know all of this?" I ask.

        "Because you and Hyuksoo are my new ship!" Bommie says, placing her hand on my forearm. "I don't want you single. It's so strange!"

        "She isn't single. I think they're dating." I look over at our youngest, completely lost.

        "You think so?"

        "Well, you two certainly look like it. I think you're really adorable." She rests her chin on her clasped hands.

        "Do you ever have imagines about him?" Bom asks. "Like, nothing creepy! Just you two doing random stuff and hanging out together."

        "Yeah," I nod. "In them we're usually sitting on the floor next to each other, and most of the time we don't even talk to each other. Sometimes his fingers will touch mine, or he'll hold my hand, or he'll play with my hair. What is it with guys and hair?"

        "They like hair," Dara says. "Like, a lot. And your hair always smells like candy or flowers, and you have the cutest pigtails."

        "You've always been a sensory type of person," Bom smiles. "You're like such a child. If I were a guy, I'd want to protect you and hug you randomly because you're so cute and little and innocent."

        "Hm, yeah; whatever," I say, letting my head fall on my folded arms on the table.

        "I'm wondering why he hasn't made a move yet," Bom mutters. "It's been two months."

        "Because he's not like that," I say. "He's been trying to be my friend first. And he knows I've never had a boyfriend before. He is chivalrous and doesn't want to make me uncomfortable."

        "If he asked you out, what would you do?" Dara asks.

        "I would say yes, I think."

        "What if he randomly kissed you? Like, more seriously than the time Hyukshin made you guys kiss."

        "He kissed me after that," I say under my breath.

        "Oh, no way!"

        "Yeah." I asked him to do it, so it might not count.

        "She asked him to," Bom adds.

        "Thanks," I laugh bitterly.

        "Was it just a peck?"

        "Yes. I mean no! I . . . Never mind me."

        The girls laugh.

        I wish they'd leave me alone about it.

        "You're uncomfortable about this, aren't you?" Minji asks.

        Bom stands and leaves the table, taking the other two with her.

        "Call me, all right?" they chorus as they walk off.

        I wave lightly. Jonghyun slides into Bom's seat and smacks my shoulder lightly. "What's eating you, dude?" he asks.

        I glare at him for a second. "Nothing," I lie.

        "Likely story," he smirks. "Guy trouble?"

        I glare at him again. 

        "How did you know, Jonghyun oppa?" he asks, imitating my voice.

        "Shut up," I laugh.

        "I think I know my yeodongsaeng enough by now, right? Well, that and Hyuksoo was moping around the same way. He asked me for dating advice, even."

        "What did you say?"

        "I just told him to be himself and make a move, but don't embarrass you. I thought you guys were dating."

        "Why does everyone think that?"

        "Because you could be. You two are perfect for each other. You're so kind to everyone, you're funny, supportive, awesome, you don't make it obvious that you're having a rough time, you have the biggest heart, you're selfless, and just a generally lovely little human being. He's the same way, as I'm sure you've seen over time. He told me about his life with Hyukshin after his mother died, and you're just what he needs."

        "Really?" I ask, raising my brows.

        "Oh, yeah." He puts his hand on my shoulder. "I'm really happy for you, Chaerin-ah."

        I giggle lightly. "Thanks, Oppa."

        He hugs me out of nowhere. "You two will be perfect together."

        I laugh and thump him lightly on the forehead. "Jerk."

        "Loser." He ruffles my hair, then fixes it. "Take care, Miss We're-Not-Together."

        He smiles and stands up, disappearing around the corner.

        I wonder, should I make a move? Or should I let him?

        I shouldn't even worry about it.

        Should I?