From Afar (Tabisan)

In Their Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From Afar

 

One New Year’s Eve, Seunghyun’s work had ended late. He hadn’t had the energy to the travel the long way back home to his parents nor did he have the enthusiasm to go out and celebrate despite the many invitations from his friends.  Instead, he went home to his apartment.  With a loosened tie and a glass of expensive drink in hand, he went out to his darkened balcony. He reclined in one of the chairs.  It was a cold and windy New Year's eve. 

 

A light from the balcony across from him followed by the sound of sliding doors.  Out came a girl wearing a white silky robe and a champagne flute in her hand.  He'd never seen her before.    

 

From where he was,  he could make out his new neighbor's long silky hair and smooth glowing skin, like she'd been freshly scrubbed from a bath. He wondered what she smelled like.  Was her soap zesty, fresh, flowery, or sweet-smelling?  She looked like the typed who smelled like vanilla, he'd always liked vanilla.  Catching himself, he suddenly felt ashamed for being such a creeper. 

 

 

Just as he had decided go inside he heard the sound of the first fireworks explosion.  It was followed by another, and another, lighting up the night sky of Seoul in colorful brilliant pools of color and light. 

 

 

He looked at the girl from the balcony.  She lighted up a small stick sparkler.  Seunghyun couldn’t help but smile as the sparkler lit up, illuminating her delighted face.  When only ember was left she picked up her champagne flute, raised it up in the air, having a toast with no one in particular, and then drank from it. 

 

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter