V

The Haksaeng & The Chaebol

I stand in the station and wait for my coach, only 30 minutes until the coach from Damyang will arrive and refuel to head back again… I want to cry. But I know I must be strong if I’m giving up everything here in Seoul and going home for good. I look up and see the time changes on the estimated time to only 15 minutes until arrival. Obviously the traffics not that bad on the road today, that’s good I’ll be home faster.

My phone vibrates. I see the text;

‘Where are you?’ –Hoya.

I ignore it and put my phone on the bench beside me.

It goes off again I look down and see the preview flash across the top bar.

‘I’m worried.’ –Hoya.

“Like you’re really worried about me, go Minah’s face.” I say out-loud in temper.

There’s a little old lady sat a bench over and she says to me. “Running away from your boyfriend?”

I shake my head. “No it’s nothing like that. He’s got a fiancé. He hates me.”

My phone starts ringing. ‘Hoya’ I push it away and she says in a sweet tone. “He sounds like he’s worried about you. Maybe he doesn’t hate you after all.”

“I’ve had enough I’m going back to Damyang, I should have never left I can’t believe I thought I could live here like a normal person… I should have known the shame and embarrassment I would have being a sponsored student.” I feel my eyes start to well up.

“It looks like you don’t want to leave either.” My phone rings again and the lady grabs it and answers. “Hello, your girlfriend is at the coach station… yes it’s H Coach Station… yes around the corner from that school!” She smiles and I’m gobsmacked by that fact she’s talking to him!

“Yah Ajumma! He’s not my boyfriend he’s the devil.” I state as she hangs up and passes my phone back to me.

She nods and says. “You’ll understand when your my age that you can’t just waste chances of love like this.”

My mouth drops and in no time Hoya is stood in front of me panting. “Don’t act like you came here because you care. Halmeoni made you didn’t she?”

“No, I didn’t want Halmeoni to know about this… about me saying the horrible things to you.” He says kicking the dust around his feet.

I sigh and shake my head. “My coach is here.”

“You can’t really be going?!” He says grabbing my wrist as I walk away.

I pull him off and shout. “Don’t touch me!” I compose myself and then with a smile say. “You wanted me gone right?”

“I did.”

“And what, now you like me and this will be a beautiful drama where I wont leave and we’ll live happily ever after with your fiancé.” I shake my head and turn around to see him stood there with a small smile.

“I missed you Min Namjoo.”

I feel like we’ve fallen into a time slip, just the two of us. “Kim Myungsoo.”

He smiles brighter to me and then says. “I didn’t expect you to be here… did the teacher tell you I was coming?”

“What? Why are you here?”

He pouts and then looks behind me. “Did you already get a boyfriend?! I want to meet Seoul girls too! This will be fun, more so that we’re together.”

“He’s not my boyfriend and the Seoul girls are fake and stupid. I missed you.” I say moving towards him.

He nods and opens his arms to me. “Come here.”

I fall into his arms and start to cry. “I was planning on coming home to you, I missed you so much, I thought I could do this without you but its so hard.”

“Well now you don’t have to leave, I’m here with you.”

“And you are…” He directs to Hoya and pulls me to arms length.

Hoya straightens up and says in a small voice. “Lee Howon, my family is sponsoring Namjoo.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Myungsoo. Namjoo is my first love, so I’ve come to protect her.”

I look to Myungsoo and say quickly. “Don’t say things like that, you’re always joking around with me…”

“I’m not joking, after a family wanted to sponsor me I foolishly let my pride tell me not to go. But after you left… I couldn’t help but miss you and want to protect you again.” He kisses my forehead and I know I’m blushing like a fool right now. “I want to be by your side Namjoo, will you accept my feelings?”

I nod and say. “I’ve liked you since—”

He starts chuckling. “I don’t want to know, because in here…” He points to his chest. “I’ve liked you longer, don’t ruin my fantasy.”

I smile to him. “Okay.”

The lady from before is stood shocked at the current situation. Then pipes up with. “Good thing you have a fiancé.” To Hoya.

Hoya nods. “That’s right I do… but even if I didn’t. I don’t date peasants.” He turns around and leaves with his phone clenched in his hand.

I hope you know I wasn’t lying about my loving someone back in Damyang… and although I feel bad for some unknown reason… I also feel amazing that my feelings finally reached Myungsoo. “I like you.” I say with a smile as Myungsoo puts his arm around me and leaves the coach station. 

 

 

 

 

 

A couple days later, I’m woken by a text.

‘I finally got a phone from my sponsored family, they said I should max the bill every month so they can show it off… my pride hurts but- I’m gonna do it so I can stay with you. I love you.’ –Myungsoo.

I smile and text back quick.

‘Your man pride will always be in your way… but I’m glad we can finally talk outside of school.’ –Namjoo

‘I want you… why can’t we live nearer to each other.’ –Myungsoo.

I blush… he wants me. No it’s probably just a hug- I cannot believe I’m thinking thoughts like this and we’ve only been a couple for a few days.

‘I’ll see you in school, miss you.’ –Namjoo

I get up out of bed, shower, get dressed and then head out the door to see Hoya leaving his room at the same time. I put my phone away and say. “Morning.”

“Texting your boyfriend so early in the morning… I could hear the squealing from my room.”  He says with a disgusted face.

“Well I think it’s romantic that your boyfriend has come all the way from Damyang to be with you Namjoo… although I wish you would have told me you had someone you liked.” Sungkyu says walking past us with a pout. “I liked you too…”

I shake my head and smile. “Stop it oppa, it’s weird when you say things like that.”

He starts to whimper and says back. “Yah, you’re breaking oppa’s heart.”

“Since when were you two so close?” Hoya ’s in.

“…since you started being mean and rude, I made it up to Namjoo by buying her food and treats, I even picked her up after school.” Sunkyu winked towards him. “I thought since I wasn’t promised to anyone I could marry Namjoo…”

Hoya gets irritated and shouts. “Really hyung?! She’s common! You couldn’t marry her even if you begged omma and appa!”

“I’d just ask Halmeoni! She loves Namjoo.” He pats my head and then pokes his tongue out to Hoya. “Shall I drop you off at school in my car Namjoo-ah?”

I nod. “Please, I might be late otherwise.”

“You’re always late.” Hoya remarks but I half ignore as Sungkyu is escorting me out.