Part 2

Armin's Leaf [Armin X OC FanFiction]

The next days were cruel, and the rain didn't stopped. Armin didn't came back yesterday, and on the day before that. Rei stared outside by her bed, and she couldn't guess if it was day or night. The surroundings were lighted gray, as if anxious to turn the world into a big grayscale picture. There were two leaves hanging on the vine outside, but surely one of them will fall today.

 

"Rei?" someone called outside. "It's me, Mikasa."

Rei's face lit up. "Come in," she said, feeling excited. 

 

Mikasa entered her room, and she was soaking wet. Her hair, uniform, and swords, were all dripping wet. She smiled sheepishly.

 

"Sorry," she apologized, removing her boots and placing them in one shoe rack. "I didn't mean to wet your floor."

"It's okay," Rei replied, fanning her left hand. "You could take a shower if you want, Mikasa."

Mikasa nodded listlessly, then she entered the bathroom. Rei staggered to get up, and she felt like the world was spinning before her very eyes. She got some fairly sized clothes for Mikasa to wear for the meantime, and laid it on the side.

 

"Mikasa, your clothes are ready," she said, puffing out hot air through . "They're by the door."

"You shouldn't have risen from your bed." Mikasa said, as Rei shuffled back to her bed. She clutched the sheets tightly for warmth, because suddenly she felt like she was freezing. She glanced by the window again, and one of the leaves fell. She didn't kept her eyes away from that vine on the wall, now that only one is left.

Her last day might be tomorrow.

 

"How are you feeling, Rei?" Mikasa asked, drying her hair with a towel, sitting at her berth. She didn't answered.

"You see that leaf, Mikasa?" she asked, pointing at the leaf. Mikasa followed her point.

"Armin told me about that," she replied. "You can't be serious thinking about it everytime, aren't you Rei?"

"I am serious."

"Depending your life to that leaf on the wall?" Mikasa asked, her voice b with concern. "That when it falls, it'll be your death?"

Rei's cheeks flushed, a hot tear traced down her cheeks.

"It's stupid, right?" she asked, her voice shaking. "But I can't help it Mikasa. I am no longer a soldier of mankind. I'm another helpless human you guys should carry on your backs."

 

Mikasa was silent for a moment, then she spoke, "You're not dying, Rei. Not today, not tomorrow. Promise me that."

"Mikasa—"

 

Mikasa walked towards the window, and she unfurled the rope that binded the curtains at the side. She covered the entire window and secured the bottom.

 

"You're not seeing that leaf. Again." Mikasa said. Rei brushed away her tears. 

"You'll live, Rei. Maybe not a soldier going out and fighting Titans but someone who could always help others."

 

With that, Mikasa left, and Rei's eyes drifted to sleep.