14

The Person Who Once Loved Me

"Hi pretty."

I didn't have to think about it twice to know that it was Jongin's sweet voice calling. Even if my window and curtains muffled his voice, I knew that it was him.

He was the only one that would call me "pretty".

My heart practically leaped out of my chest. I was confident- yet I was still somewhat afraid to open the window and realize that it was only my imagination that was driving me crazy. But my cold and shaking hands still managed to draw my white curtains from the window to reveal Jongin's handsome face.

Indeed, he's back.

It had been a full week and three days but it had seemed as if we hadn't seen each other in years.

"Jongin... How..." I whispered. I had so many questions that were stuck in my throat, fighting to leave my mouth first.

He smiled a little and tapped on the window.

"Oh!" I jumped in realization. I pushed the window open and Jongin chuckled to himself.

"How you doin'?" He beamed.

My lips could not have stretched into a smile any further. My body was craving for his touch and my heart was crying out for him to love me. I jumped out the window and leaped onto the ground, landing in Jongin's sturdy arms. I never took note of how perfect I fit into his embrace. His hands would slink around m waist and my chin would rest on the nook of his broad shoulder.

Seeing Jongin again was like a breath of fresh air. It really hadn't even been that long since I last saw him but I had already forgotten how dashingly handsome he was and how his y voice was deep and drowsy at the same time.

Was it possible that he just kept getting more handsome?

"I missed you. I have a lot to tell you," he whispered into my hair.

I let out a chuckle, "You have too much."

Jongin let go of my waist and trailed his hands up to my cheeks, gently grazing up my waist. He stared into my eyes with those mysterious orbs of his.

"Tell me why you couldn't leave my mind for one damn second?" Jongin mumbled, searching my eyes.

There wasn't a word in this world that could describe the feeling of euphoria and bliss that Jongin made me feel with that one sentence. My heart wanted to burst out of my chest from beating so rapidly.

"I-I- " I stuttered. He was making me tongue tied.

Jongin smiled a bit.

Less than a milisecond passed by.

He didn't hesitate before leaning forward and planting a soft, almost shy kiss on my lips. And I didn't complain.

 

 

We walked hand in hand down the hill, arms swinging. There was an extra hop in my step.

I knew that the window I had left open in my room was probably letting a chilly breeze through my house and wasting the warm air from my portable heater but I didn't care. These petty thoughts were buried and stored away in a dusty corner of my brain whenever I was with Jongin.

The illuminating  full moon was like a ball sitting low on the water. It's clear reflection was seen on the shimmering, crystallized ocean.

"How are the parents dealing with everything?" Jongin asked. Our bare feet were dangling off of the docks, our shoes and socks laying besides us. The cold ocean spray laid a light mist over our bare toes.

It was unbelievably cold outside but oddly, I felt warm.

"They're acting just as I expected them too. Locking me inside of my room and keeping me from running away again and seeing you."

Jongin chuckled, "They hate me."

"No, they don't. They just hate the thought of me growing up and making decisions for myself."

He nodded. The crash of the waves beneath us filled the silence. There was a light fog in the air that night. I could tell because the wooden surface of the dock was slightly cool and moist.

"So, how'd you get here? Are you even allowed back here? What did your parents back home say?"

Jongin sighed, and looked out to the unsettling water. The moon was clearly evident in his dark eyes. He leaned back, the weight of his body propped up by his hands.

"My aunt brought me back here. But my mom was the one who told me to come back here so I could get out of her way. That was after I was pulled back to Seoul, though. I don't see why they made me go back home anyway. Sungtae acted like he actually cared that I ran away but after mom rolled her eyes at me, he stopped acting. He's always trying to be on her side and please her. Like a ing robot. He doesn't have a mind of his own. He doesn't even know that mom's cheating on him."

My glare shifted from my cold hands in my lap to Jongin's glistening profile. The light wind would occasionally catch in Jongin's brown tousled locks. He was evidently upset.

"And she wonders why she can't keep a man," he laughed sorely.

I lightly touched his arm. He turned towards me, remembering that I was sitting besides him. An easy smile lit up his face.

"At least I have you, huh?" Jongin heaved in relief. I nodded gladly.

He wrapped an arm around me.

"So what's happening now?" I asked.

"Whaddya mean?"

"I mean..." I paused, "How long are you staying here? And are you staying at your aunt's? And... college." During the hustle of events that had taken place in the past week or so, the thought of college was in the back of my mind. The thought of college didn't bother anyone around me- they all thought that I would stay in Busan. But it bothered me because I couldn't settle with that decision- thanks to Jongin. I now knew that I couldn't settle for any less than life handed me.

Or, my parents handed me.

Either way, my unfinished college application that was disclosed in an envelope and hidden under the crease in my mattress haunted me.

Jongin smiled, "Have you been stressing over this?"

"Kind of..." I mumbled.

"Don't stress over this, or I'll have to disappear."

"What? Why?" I frowned.

Jongin looked serious for a second before his lips curved into a grin, "Because then your problems will disappear."

"Don't joke like that," I sulked, lightly punching him on his arm, "You scared me. It's not funny."

"Sorry, I had to," he squeezed my shoulder before leaning over and laying a sweet, wet kiss on my cheek. I wasn't even capable of acting as if I was upset anymore. My happiness had manifested and planted a smile on my face.

"But back to your question. I'm here until summer ends, so in two weeks. Yes, I'm staying at my aunts. And college? I'm still going to be at SNU. And apparently you're still thinking about it."

"No."

"No?" Jongin cocked his head.

"No, I'm not still thinking about it. I'm applying and I'm going to get in."

He seemed taken back by my sudden boost of confidence but tightened his arm around my body and nodded, "You will." I wasn't sure about this boost of confidence either, but if Jongin helped me with the rest of my applications and if I just grew up, I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed, "So I guess I'm going to have to sneak out to see you every night."

"I guess so. You know, I never got a chance to tell you that I'm sorry."

"Yes, you did, I remember. After you put the robe on me and as I was leaving-"

"No," Jongin interrupted. He removed his arm from me, the warmth depleting from my body. He turned and faced me, looking me straight in the eye.

"A real apology, Hana," Jongin started. He bit his lip, "I'm sorry that I caused all of this to happen. Sometimes I wonder if your life would have been easier if I just hadn't begged my parents to keep coming back to Busan."

I shook my head but Jongin gave me a stern look before continuing.

"I was the one that suggested us running away. It was a stupid idea, I mean, it sounded right at the time but I don't know how I thought that we would get away with it. I thought..." he paused, "I thought that if we believed and loved each other enough, God would provide, or destiny would hold us together, or something. Anything. And now you're locked up in your room and your parents lost trust in you and it's all my fault."

I stared at Jongin. I felt sorry that he felt sorry. I truly believed from the bottom of my heart that this whole situation wasn't his fault. I wanted to tell him that and comfort him, but sometimes it's best to let people let things off of their chest. Whether it's deep dark secrets and confessions, or apologies. Even if it wasn't asked for.

Besides, as the words flowed out of his mouth, I could practically see the worry that had piled up inside of his soul depleting and a more calm façade replacing his previously distressed one.

I guess that was enough for me and perhaps some other time in a couple of years I could look back to the one night that Jongin came back to Busan and we sat down on the docks on a misty night where there was a full moon.

I could tell him that I didn't think that everything was his fault and that I was so very glad that he had begged his parents to visit Busan every year. Maybe he would smile and whisper into my hair that it was all part of the past and that he could care less now. Maybe he would say that we now have more things to rejoice in rather than be upset about something that happened years ago.

"I don't know, maybe I'm selfish. But even if I feel apologetic, I don't regret meeting you. Maybe it would save you some heartache but that means that I would probably never have smiled because of a girl. And I would have died of lung cancer," Jongin chuckled.

I beamed, "I don't regret anything either. Believe it or not, I'm happy now and that is all that matters."

"Can I kiss you again or is three in less than an hour too much for you to handle?" Jongin teased.

"Is that even a question?" I joked.

He pushed my hair back without another word and placed his soft lips on mine. I smiled and breathed in a whole waft of his oh-so familiar linen scent.

I could get used to this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

so truthfully the reason i asked you guys how you found my fic was because last week i gained 130 subscribers or so and i was like o_o what. basically, i did not know that this fic was most viewed and that probably explains the subscriber count increasing. so thanks for telling me guys and thanks for viewing! i'm upset that i didn't know ugh i'm ashamed of myself. THANK YOU THOUGH
anyway i'm getting some expressive messages and if you don't like the story, i totally understand. but there is no need to bash about it ._. and when people are saying that this is going really slow, i write the way i write and it's okay if you don't read/subscribe. let's love each other