Chapter 2

Chrome Heart

As expected Takeru didn't sleep a wink. He sat with his head on the table in front of him. He wanted to sleep so badly, but muddled images of Saga and Ruki took over his thoughts when his mind wasn't busy.
     “Man you've really got to stop staying up so late. You look like crap.” Nao commented as he plopped down next to Takeru with an over flowing tray of food.
     “Again he has a point. Do we need to schedule you a bed time? I'm surprised Maya-san hasn't actually.” Tora added as him and Yuji sat across from the two. Takeru sat up knowing sleep was not happening.
     “Haha..... funny. Maya-nii does have a bed time for me. Doesn't mean I follow it. I'm not 5 anymore. And you're one to talk Nao-san! You're always up late on the computer.”
     "But my first class starts later then yours. I still get at least...HEY!” Takeru stole an apple from Nao's tray and bit into it.
     “Plus, we all know Nao is powered by coffee. If you drank coffee you wouldn't be dragging right now. And stop sulking, you do look like you're 5.” Tora added pointing his chopsticks at Takeru.
     “Coffee is too bitter. And it's not like I purposely stayed up late. I really tried going to bed earlier.”
     “I have a set bed time.” Everyone looked in Yuji's direction who was casually slurping up ramen.
     “Baka! Learn how to read the conversation. We're already past that.” Tora scolded Yuji. Takeru couldn't help but laugh a little.
     “Anyway...what kept ya up?”
     “Mmmm.... just stuff.”
     “Ehh? What is that supposed to mean?” Nao asked with a mouth full of food.
     “It's hard to explain really.”
     “It's probably about a girl.” Yuji said still slurping ramen. Instantly an image of Ruki popped into Takeru's head. His cheeks flushed until they were as red as his apple. “See.”
     “Ehh!? No way! Who is it? Anyone we know?” Tora was practically crawling across the table.
     “It's not a girl! It's...it has to do with my ex.”
     “Oh.” Tora retracted back to his seat quietly. Takeru found it odd, but knew it wasn't his place to ask.
     “I don't have class after this, so I'm heading out guys.”
     “You only have one class on Wednesday?” Nao said.
     “Yep. Wednesdays are a special day. It's the day when a friend from high school works at his job. Plus Maya-nii works so I get the whole loft to myself.”
     “That must be mice, though Maya-san does keep you out of trouble. I'm afraid of what will happen when you're alone!” Tora laughed as Takeru half glared at him. Without another word Takeru turned to head out towards the Velvet Cafe Lounge.

                                                                                      * * *

     “Ah Hello again Takeru-chan. You're just in time to test out a new tea I purchased.” A tall, dark brown haired man said as he gave a slight bow to Takeru from behind a counter.
     “Hello Owner Shou!” Takeru replied with a slight bow himself before sitting at the counter. “I'll pass on the tea today, but can I get some water?”
     “Of course you can have water. I'll have Chiyu-san get it for you while I test this tea on my own.” Shou left the counter to venture into a small sea of tables, chairs, and a sofa. Takeru only sat alone for a few minutes before a friendly face appeared across the counter from him.
     “Hey Keru-kun how have you been at college?” a raven haired man asked while placing a glass of ice water in front of Takeru.
     “So far it's going great. Aside from all the tests. I really wish you could be there Chi-chan.”
     “Same here, but my family comes first y'know.” Chiyu is Takeru's best friend. He has always been Takeru's friend since they met in grade school. Sadly Chiyu dropped out in his second year of high school. He had gotten his girlfriend pregnant and went job searching. Despite all that Takeru still visited him often after school and at Shou's cafe.
     “You were lucky to land a job here. Owner Shou is so cool and laid back.”
     “I like him a lot too. Y'know he only stocks teas because of you. You don't like coffee, be he wanted to make sure you can have something to drink.” Chiyu was drying some dishes as he chatted with Takeru.
     “Really? He doesn't have to do that.”
     “He likes you. Says you remind him of himself when he was your age.”
     “Mmm......” Takeru glanced at Shou who was kindly chatting with all of his customers. He spent a lot of time talking to a short, blonde, spiky haired boy. “How is little Eri-chan doing by the way?”
     “She just turned 3 this month actually. She's too adorable Keru-kun! You need to come see her, it's been too long.”
     “Wow, she's already that old? It' has been a while since I last saw her.”
     “We can arrange that later, so tell me what brings ya today. You look horrible.”
     “As perceptive as always. But I do have a problem that only you can help me with.” Takeru was swiveling left and right on his stool.
     “Shoot, I'll help the best I can.”
     “Well.... I met someone yesterday. It was a guy...”
     “Oh. Now this is interesting news!”
     “I met him at Chrome Hearts when getting my necklace. He was gorgeous and made my heart pound so fast. Just like when... Saga-san and I were together. I couldn't stop thinking about him all night. What do you think it means?” Takeru was playing with water on the counter left by condensation from his glass.
     “Are you that dense?”
     “Huh?”
     “It means you at least like this guy! Maybe even love him.”
     “But! It can't be! I'm working for Saga, I still...love Saga.”
     “Come on Keru-kun. Get over Saga already. Do you think that guy cares about you at all? My advice is to forget about that douchebag and pursue whatever feeling you have for the new guy.”
     “But...”
     “No buts Keru-kun. If I had still been in school, I would have beaten him so bad he would never get to model again.” Takeru didn't say a word. He was so confused. Something in him couldn't let go of Saga, But there was also something that was intriging about Ruki. Chiyu could see the confusion on Takeru's face. “At least... at least try to pursue the feeling for the mystery guy. See where it leads. It could turn into something serious, or it could simply just be a good lay.”
     “Chi-chan!” Takeru was alert and had flushed cheeks.
     “Ha ha ha! Still the same Keru-kun. Just think about it. I have to go now, the afternoon rush is coming.” Chiyu left the counter to start tending to the line of people waiting to be seated.
Maybe Chi-chan was right, Takeru thought. And since his friend was now busy with work, Takeru decided to head for Chrome Hearts once again. The one connection he had to Ruki.

                                                                                      * * *

Walking into Chrome Hearts, Takeru felt so nervous. Completely opposite from yesterday. He scanned the store quickly to make sure Ruki wasn't there by chance. All clear.
     “Hello! Oh! It's you again. Here to buy another Keiji piece?” The same female clerk was working the counter.
     “Um no actually... this will sound weird, but I was wondering if you knew how I could get in contact with Ruki-san? The guy I was talking to yesterday.”
     “Ruki-san? Unfortunately I don't know a way to get in touch with him. I'm sorry.” Takeru's heart sank a little. Was there no way to find Ruki? “Perhaps you could ask the manager, he might know.” It dawned on him that Ruki had mentioned he was friends with the manager. Maybe there was hope. “Shall I get him for you?”
     “Oh yes, please. If it's not to much trouble.” And just like yesterday, the lady disappeared behind the 'employee's only' door. Feeling a little deja vu, Takeru glanced over his shoulder. Ruki wasn't standing there this time, to his relief. Even if he could find Ruki, Takeru wasn't sure if he would be able to talk to him. Just thinking about him made his heart start to race. But like Chiyu suggested, he had to meet him again to figure out his feelings. It was the only way. Just then, the door opened and both the clerk and manager stepped out. He had a warm smile on his face as he spotted Takeru
     “Takeru-kun! I was happy to see you finally got that necklace you've had your eye on. Now what can I do for you?”
     “Manager Kai, hello. I was wondering, do you know a man by the name of Ruki-san? He saw you yesterday.”
     “Oh yes. Ru-tan and I go way back to our school days. So to answer you, I do know him. And no need to be so formal, just call me Kai-kun.”
     “Ok. Umm....Kai-kun, I know this will sound weird but, do you know how I can get in contact with Ruki-san?” Kai stared at Takeru for a moment, still with a smile on his face. The silence made him a bit nervous.
     “Are you free right now Takeru-kun?”
     “Y..Yes! I don't have any plans.”
     “Then would you like to come with me? I was just leaving and heading off to see Ru-tan. You can ask him for his contact information.” Takeru froze. He didn't expect that he would get to meet him again so soon. He wanted to refuse, but it would look weird when he was the one that came asking.
     “Sure. That....would work.” He was sweating buckets as he followed Kai to his car. He was panicking inside his head. What would he say that didn't sound like he was a stalker? Once inside Kai's car and headed to Ruki, Takeru had begun forming a good story in his head. 'I just liked chatting with him, thought he would want to talk more about jewelry. Yeah, that doesn't make me sound creepy.' Takeru thought in his head. He glanced at Kai who had a bit of a sinister smile on his face. What was that all about? Before he knew it, the car came to a stop, Takeru got out of the car and stood staring. “A bar?”
      “You've got it.” Kai said closing his door. “This is where Ru-tan works, come."  Takeru walked behind Kai towards the entrance. The sun was almost gone for the day. At the door Kai gestured to the door man who gestured back. He would have walked straight in if Takeru didn't need to be carded. He, of course, wasn't old enough. So a bright, neon orange wrist band tethered his wrist.  Inside it was pitch black aside from a stage where a local band played, and the bar. Takeru's heart jumped into his throat. There he was. There Ruki was. Kai had to tug Takeru by the arm to get him walking forward. Before they reached the bar, Ruki caught sight of them. At first he waved and smiled at Kai, but had a confused look when he noticed Takeru with him.
     “Hey Ru-tan what's up? Been busy?” Kai asked.
     “It's only 6pm, the band just started. So not busy at all. What's that kid uh....Takeru-san doing here with you?” Takeru's heart fluttered. Ruki remembered his name!
     “Ah, he said he wanted to contact you. So I brought him to you. Don't have to much fun now!” And just like that, Kai turned and disappeared into the crowd. Takeru Didn't know what to do now. Kai had made him sound like the creepy stalker he didn't want to be. Ruki leaned across the counter, eyes staring directly into Takeru's.
     “Give me a minute, I'm just getting off. We can talk better outside.” Takeru gave a nod and began inching his way to the door through the packed crowd. Once he made it outside he realized it was already dark. He walked around the corner and leaned up against the brick wall. His heart was keeping a fast steady pace. 'Maybe I'm getting used to seeing him already' Takeru thought. “Hey! Did you wait long?” 'Wrong' He corrected himself as Ruki appeared out of no where.
     “Ah, no. Not at all.”
     “C'mon, I'll walk you to the train since Kai-kun left you here. We can talk on the way.” Only then did Takeru realize Kai had left him there. He quickly pushed away from the wall to fall in line next to Ruki who was lighting a cigarette. Takeru didn't know if he should start talking first or not. But Ruki went ahead and solved his dilemma by going first as they walked down the street. “So, I didn't think I'd be seeing you again so soon, or at all for that matter.”
     “Neither did I. I just wanted to get contact info from Kai-kun so I could mail you or something. Not that I'm a stalker or anything! I just thought you seemed interested in jewelry a..and maybe we could occasionally talk about it!” Takeru was getting all flustered.
     “Haha! I see. Pull out your phone.” Takeru did as instructed. When it was out, Ruki lined his phone up with the top of Takeru's. After a few seconds his phone beeped. “There, now you have my info. You can message me whenever, just remember I work late nights, so I may not always message back right away.”
     “Oh thank you!” He stared at the saved contact info in his phone. The two of them continued walking side by side. To Takeru, it felt like they were the only two people in the city. Only now an awkward silence fell between them. He had to start a topic. “So Ruki-san, Kai-kun mentioned you know each other from school. How long have you known each other?”
     “How many years has it been now? Well we met in primary school. So, many years to answer you question.”
     “Oh..all the way through college too then?”
     “Yes and no.  Kai-kun graduated from college, but I didn't even finish high school. I was a drop-out.”
     “I'm sorry! I didn't mean to pry.”
     “Don't be sorry. I'm the one who did it. Not like it was a bad decision. In fact, I wouldn't have met my other two friends if I had stayed in school. And this one time...” As Ruki began to tell stories of this past, Takeru really was arguing with himself on the inside. He hung on every word Ruki was saying, and just being with him was exciting. All of that was battling against the memories he held on to. Plus Chiyu's words rang in his head. Should he give up on Saga? It was then when Ruki's hand brushed Takeru's, that he had his answer.” ...and so I was tricked into stealing her bra...”
     “I think I love Ruki-san.” It took Takeru a few more steps to realize Ruki had stopped dead in his tracks.
     “I'm sorry, what did you say? It sounded like you said you.....'loved' me.” At that moment a blush rose to Takeru's cheeks. He hadn't meant to say that aloud, but now it was too late. He took a more confidant stance.
     “No,I've decided!”
     “Decided what?”
     “I've decided that... that I love you! Please go out with me!” Takeru stood motionless, staring back at a shocked Ruki awaiting his reply.