Barriers

Fading Stars

 

"No! Don't die on me now!!" 

A voice yelled, snapping Jinseok back into attention as he blinked in confusion. When he turned to see who it was, it was none other than his co-worker Joonkyu, tapping madly at his phone in attempts to win whatever game he was playing.

"Hyung," Jinseok chuckled softly. "You surprised me!"

"No no, that's not the problem here!" Joonkyu said, not even looking up at his friend. "I'm dyyyiinnnggg!" 

Jinseok secretly rolled his eyes as he grinned, clearly amused at his hyung. "I don't get why you're so obsessed with that ga—"

Ding ding.

A small chime of bells sounded from the glass doors as someone walked in, and Jinseok jumped up to welcome the customer. "Annyeonghaseyo, welcome to MyName Cafe!" His lips curved up into a small smile as he realized who it was. The memory a few days ago when the boy picked up his book lingered in Jinseok's mind as he got the cashier ready. He glanced at his calendar to make sure, then mumbled the name quietly to himself. Kim Seyong.

It was a nice name.

When Jinseok saw Seyong's face though, his smile immediately faded and he frowned.

Seyong was different today. There was no baggy sweatshirt and sweatpants, no earphones at his ear, and most importantly... no smile. Even his footsteps seemed heavier than usual, and Jinseok didn't know if it was just him or if Seyong was even limping slightly.

His heart sinked with worry and sadness. If only he had talked to this person more... maybe then he would have been able to ask what was wrong without having it sound weird. Seyong probably didn't even remember him. Seyong didn't even know his name. 

"The usual please." Seyong said, staring at the table rather than at Jinseok.

Jinseok pressed a few buttons on the cashier, taking a while as his fingers couldn't press the right buttons. He tried not to look too worried. It was probably just something small. Seyong would be smiling again tomorrow. And Jinseok would smile too.

"Here you go." Jinseok said with a small smile, handing Seyong the tray with the green tea latte and cheesecake. "Enjoy!" he added in, trying to sound bright, but Seyong just gave a small nod and walked away to his corner. Jinseok sighed, wishing again that he could talk to him. He messed up his hair in frustration.

"You got highlights?!" Joonkyu suddenly said in surprise as he leaned closer to Jinseok to touch his hair. 

"What? Oh, yeah. Wait, you just noticed, hyung?"

"Uh... yeah." Joonkyu grinned sheepishly, eyeing Jinseok. "I was busy playing the game, you know... didn't have time to see your hair. It looks really good by the way."

"Thanks hyung. And right. You were playing that ever since I arrived this morning." Jinseok jabbed at his hyung playfully. "I'm telling Insoo hyung!"

"No! You can't do that, Jinnie. I'm such a kind hyung, how can you do such a thing—"

"I'm just kidding." Jinseok laughed, and his hyung joined in. 

Something in his heart still felt heavy, though. His face was smiling but his heart wasn't. It felt quite stupid, actually. Why was he caring so much for someone he didn't even know that well? Seyong was just someone he looked at, always from a distance. When Joonkyu went back to his game, Jinseok touched his hair self-consciously. "Aish. I wished he'd notice too." He said under his breath. There was no way Seyong would have. He wasn't even looking at Jinseok a while ago.

★ ☆ ★ 

"Good night," Jinseok said first when Seyong returned his tray. He gave a timid smile, hoping Seyong would return it.

He did. Kind of. The smile had a tinge of sadness in it, though. Seyong's didn't show that usual crinkle near his eyes, and Jinseok could swear his gaze seemed glassy. But he could tell Seyong was trying. 

"Good night to you, too." Seyong's voice resonated through the quiet cafe. Joonkyu had left earlier and all the other customers had left as well. "Looking good." He added, pointing at Jinseok's hair.

He noticed! Jinseok smiled again, an inevitable blush flooding his cheeks. "Ah— th-thank you." He murmured, looking at the tray instead of at the person across from him. When he looked up, the redhead was already gone.

He touched his cheeks, not knowing what to do, and stayed like that for a while. What Seyong said was nothing really, he thought, but his heart was beating as if he'd run a mile.