First and last chapter

Full moon

"Do you believe in ghosts? I mean, you like supernatural things so much." 

Hanni held back a smile at the question, briefly taking her sandwich in her hand to take a bite. Oh, that didn't even need an answer.

"Of course, supernatural events are amazing. In my opinion, they have always been proof of what might exist beyond."

"If you say so..." 

Kim Minji wasn't necessarily a believer in it. It was a rare occurrence because she was Catholic, often attended church, and yet, she fervently believed that ghosts definitely did not exist. Maybe it was because God and entities manifested in different ways, if Minji ever decided to put a little of her faith in the supernatural. Hanni had already given up on convincing her, and it was fine; not everyone had to think the same way.

Hanni could believe in many things: ghosts, aliens, or the red thread. She always thought there was something that provided unconfirmed, but indicative evidence of something more.

That school day ended almost at four in the afternoon, and some students were getting ready to go to hagwons to continue their studies, but she went home. After an intense twenty-minute walk, she arrived, and with the copy of the keys in her backpack, she opened the front door, encountering darkness and faint halos of light that divided the walls.

"Good afternoon, Hanni-ssi. There is tofu and seafood stew with rice," Mrs. Sung, the housekeeper, kindly informed her. Her parents, being more focused on their work than other aspects of home life, decided to hire someone, especially to complete chores as quickly as possible. Mrs. Sung didn't have an enviable relationship with Hanni because the younger one spent more time in her own world than in reality, but they treated each other with respect, and that was enough.

Hanni thanked her for the food, said she would eat later, and once she gave the daily allowance to the woman, she left the house. Sometimes, Hanni felt a little uneasy about Mrs. Sung being alone in her home for a couple of hours, as no one would know if she had sabotaged or stolen anything, but she thought: that would be awful of her, so she avoided the topic as much as she could.

With everything covered and going up to her room, she closed the door behind her and immersed herself in the faint glows inside, where papers were pasted on the walls: thousands of windows simulating being open, just to feel more comfortable. Some of them had quickly drawn pencil sketches, and others had questions and answers, made and said by herself and for herself. With renewed energy, she tore a sheet from the notebook on her study table and wrote:

'What did you do today at school? Are you okay?'

Doubting a little, she took a while to craft a response, but she did.

'The same, different day. Nothing too different happened today, except for the scolding I got from Mr. Lee for not turning in a graphics assignment on time. I'm fine.'

She attached the sheet to her wall, removing some that were already several months old, and when she had moved away and her desk lamp, a loud noise, like a sudden thud, pulled her out of her trance-like state, making her quickly turn to look at the window, from where the sound had come. Cautiously, she approached to unlock the latch and open it. Outside, night had already fallen, and generally, only the sound of the wind could be heard and some trees with thick branches swayed slightly, but not this time. That time, she saw something out of the ordinary.

She observed someone, dressed in a long T-shirt down to their knees, with brown and long hair, sitting on one of the highest branches of her neighbor's tree, facing away from her window. She furrowed her brow and continued to watch the person with curiosity because how could it be possible for them to be in such a high place, looking so calm, without moving a single muscle? Then, with determination, she decided to speak up to get their attention.

"Uh..., hello?" she greeted, almost in question, in the direction of the person in the tree. "What are you doing up so high? You could... you could fall."

Apparently, she managed to catch the person's attention enough for them to turn around, and their gazes met. It was then that she realized it was a girl, judging by her delicate and feminine features, and she was beautiful, very much so. A kind of weight filled her chest in the most indescribable way as she looked at her.

"I like being here and feeling the breeze wrap around my feet. I feel on top of the world," the girl responded, her voice a little high-pitched but gentle, almost as if she felt rivers of light swirling around her wrists. "It's not dangerous for me; I promise. What's your name?"

"Hanni... Pham."

"Hanni Pham," the girl repeated, seemingly savoring the name in . "Nice name. I'm Danielle Marsh."

"Danielle Marsh." Hanni did the same, tasting her name on the tip of her tongue. "You have a pretty name."

Danielle smiled, possibly as a way of thanking her, and turned back to face forward, again with her back to Hanni. Hanni felt a bit uncomfortable because she wanted to talk, she really wanted to get to know the girl better, but she wasn't good at taking the initiative to be the first to speak, and besides, her mind was blank. However, it became easier, at least for her, because a soft voice filled the space between them once again.

"The moon is so beautiful tonight, don't you think? It's even more beautiful when you're close to it," said Danielle.

"How close have you been to the moon to say that?"

"Closer than you think," Danielle replied, turning back to look, and Hanni furrowed her brow. It seemed completely impossible to her that she could have been to the moon, so she thought she was referring to a telescope.

Hanni was about to respond, but suddenly, her desk lamp turned off, and as she turned to look, she told Danielle to wait for her. Once she turned it back on, she went to the window; however, the girl in the tree was no longer there. Confused, she searched with her gaze, but there was no trace of her. It was as if she had simply vanished in a moment, and that was definitely strange.

The next day, before going to school, she looked at the big tree through her window as she closed it, and the vague memory of the previous night came to her mind. She couldn't keep it to herself from Minji, to see what she thought.

"Really, I just turned around to turn on my lamp and when I looked at the window again, she was gone! Plus, I don't think anything happened to my lamp..."

"Are you sure about what you saw? It could have been... I don't know, an illusion," Minji responded. It was clear she didn't have an answer either, if she believed her. Hanni snorted in confusion.

Once she got home and settled in to do some homework, something caught her attention. On one of her walls, there was a note, different from the rest. It was yellow, with a drawing of the moon in one corner and a question in cursive handwriting that said:

'I noticed you have many notes on the walls, and it seems they are based on questions and answers you ask yourself. Can I change that a little and be the one asking the question this time?'

Hanni froze. She had no idea who could have left that in her room, as it didn't even have the author's name, and that made her more nervous, but for a moment, Danielle's face came to her mind. Something told her it was her, because after all, who else could it have been? Taking the note from the wall and turning it over with interest, she realized another message written on the back.

'How close do you think I have been to the moon?'

And that was when she realized it was indeed Danielle. Thoughtful, Hanni grabbed one of her pens from the table and quickly wrote:

'Not too close, but you must have a lot of interest in it.'

With a few last glances, she left the note by her window, adhering it well enough so the wind wouldn't carry it away. Despite everything, she felt a little fear, and if she found Danielle that night too, she would ask her about it.

And when night fell, while completing her duties, she noticed someone's shadow at the top of the tree, so she approached and saw Danielle. Without waiting any longer, she took the note and shouted:

"Hey, Danielle!" The named girl turned around, looking at her with those dark eyes like wells... or like craters. "Hey, did you leave this note on my wall?"

"Yeah."

"How did you get into my room?"

"I was curious, and I just opened the window and went in," Danielle explained with simplicity, shrugging.

Hanni wanted to get angry, to feel rage at her for directly and without hesitation admitting she had entered her room without her knowledge, read her notes without permission, and checked who knows what else, but she couldn't, especially with how stunned she felt. If she remembered perfectly having left the window latched that morning, how had she entered? The mere idea confused and terrified her, to be honest, and she couldn't look Danielle in the eyes while processing it.

"I know how you feel," Danielle said, lazily swinging one leg from the branch. "Close your eyes, and I'll be there in a moment."

Hanni hesitated, but almost instinctively did what she said, lowering her head and squeezing the note a little tighter in her hands. Darkness filled the room, and suddenly, through her closed eyelids, a flash occurred, a loud sound fractured the calmness, and she swore she felt a sensation of cold enveloping her, almost making her open her eyes, but she didn't, until Danielle's voice was heard, surprisingly much closer, as if she were in front of her.

"Open them."

When she did, she furrowed her brow deeply and backed away, shocked. Danielle was in her room, in less than a minute, and she allowed herself to admire more of her physical appearance, despite the dozens of questions that filled her head. Her hair was wavy, softer than it appeared, her face had beautiful freckles on her left cheek, bright eyes and long lashes, full lips, a long neck, very thin, with the sheen of a flash from one point to another, as if her skin glowed. She couldn't deny she was truly beautiful, but everything was being very strange; too much.

"H-how...?"

"You don't need to know, but look, isn't it amazing?" Danielle said, perhaps more to herself, as she spun around on her heels. Hanni watched her, still too stunned to respond. "Mr. Marsh, your neighbor in the left house, is my father. Sometimes, I go visit him without my mother knowing, and when I want to relax, I climb the tree to admire the moon."

Danielle sat on the bed without permission, took a pillow, arranged it in her lap, and gave Hanni a luminous smile that she watched for a moment, as if some supernatural force attracted her.

It was strange, really, because Hanni was convinced she would tell Danielle that she couldn't do that, that it was rude and inappropriate, and that she should leave, but against her will, she was there, enjoying a soft conversation with Danielle, as she told her little things about her life, every piece of Danielle Marsh. The pieces were wrapped in long shadows that crossed the walls and in the soft lighting of the moon streaming through Hanni's window, static, gentle.

"What happened next?"

"For four months, my father had to be absent from his job due to a fracture, and although it was justified, they eventually fired him. After that bad time and recovering, he got a job at a publishing house, and in his free time, he would take me fishing."

Against her better judgment, Danielle was becoming more interesting than she expected.

Hanni left the yellow note on her nightstand and checked her phone. An hour and a half had passed since Danielle arrived and they had been chatting, and thanks to that, she hadn't even finished a third of her duties, though she didn't mind much. They were both lying on Hanni's bed while Danielle's voice became a murmur, and they looked around: Hanni's notes, Hanni's books, Hanni's posters, and they were closer than Hanni could imagine.

"It's a shame he was fired, but luckily he found another job pretty quickly. You, on the other hand, learned a bit more about something else, going fishing with him."

"I still have a lot to learn," Danielle commented, with a sigh. "I want to learn from you. Tell me about yourself."

Danielle rolled over on the mattress, moving to lie on her stomach but not completely, resting on her elbows, closer to Hanni, who had her hands behind her head and her legs crossed. Hanni shivered at the sudden closeness and let out a shaky sigh, but didn't move away.

"B-but I've already told you several things about me..." Hanni responded, her words gradually dropping to a low voice as Danielle drew closer, clearly noticing that she was looking at her lips, so she hurried to speak. "D-Danielle, you're very close..."

"Oh, really?" Danielle replied, almost as if she were ignoring that what Hanni was trying to say was "please back away from me a little," this time staying there, intently looking at her lips. "I... don't think so."

Danielle pressed her lips together in an instant, doing it so suddenly that she didn't even give Hanni the chance to take a breath. Hanni was stunned, and even more because she didn't know how or why, but she followed the kiss. There was something appealing, something really enjoyable about having Danielle's lips on hers, with those dark eyes watching her, diving into them, and apparently, as much as she tried to resist, she ended up sinking all the way.

When they separated, Danielle looked at her and smiled in the sweetest way, and Hanni felt a stirring in her chest. She felt there could be no better moment than that, and at the same time, she wondered what was happening to her, why she had let her stay, why she had let her kiss her, and why she had liked it so much, things Danielle didn't seem to want to answer or perhaps just enjoyed leaving intrigue, ignoring what was even more confusing, like the extremely cold touch of her skin, her strange and fast transportation from the tree to her room, or her great trust with strangers, or maybe she was just like that with her.

Hanni had not questioned anything, she didn't plan on doing so, especially when another note from Danielle slipped onto her wall, disappearing through the window with a smiling farewell and her silhouette becoming a line that was lost outside the window frame, just a few minutes before eleven at night.

It was the next day that Hanni fully realized what she had done; however, she couldn't deny it: feeling Danielle's lips against hers had been magical, as if a kind of sweetness and calm filled her from within, and touching one of the corners of her lips, she realized she wanted more, but how could she feel so attracted to someone she hadn't known for that long, even if it felt like they had known each other forever? What was it about Danielle that generated this suffocating sensation? She had no answers, and something told her she wouldn't get them for now.

After telling Minji about it, her total look of surprise was almost a dilemma.

"Han, no," she said authoritatively, causing Hanni to shrink her shoulders a little, inhibited. "This can't go on like this. You're telling me that in less than a minute, she went from being in a tree at who knows how many meters above the ground to your room, that you started talking and had a kiss. A. Damn. Kiss. And the worst part is you say you liked it. For God's sake, Hanni, that's not right."

"And what do you suggest I do? Simply push her away as if nothing happened?"

"Well, it would be the best thing," Minji responded simply, though she ended up sighing. "It's really so strange... I'm saying this because... Han, even if you really like this girl, the things she does aren't something regular people could do. Are you... sure this isn't an illusion or a bad trick your mind is playing on you?"

Hanni was so offended and angered by her response that she ended up almost shouting in Minji's face and leaving the place for her classroom, not looking back, because she knew that the moment her eyes met Minji's puppy-like ones, she would go back and apologize.

That night, while working on her homework, another yellow note was on her study table, and it said:

'I really don't know much about you, but I want to take you to the moon. I want you to see it by my side, and you'll realize how close I've been before.'

Hanni responded, on the back of the note:

'It would surely be so beautiful.'

Her gaze settled on the window, admiring the silhouette that had already appeared sitting on the tree branch, with a smile on her face barely illuminated by the bright moon behind her. An incredible but calm full moon night over her shoulders, and Hanni, despite everything, smiled.

In the following weeks, things didn't change much. Hanni felt in a state of relaxation where she balanced between falling into Danielle's arms. Danielle would arrive almost every night to talk to her, leave notes, and then leave, but before that, she comforted her in a way she had never felt before, not just with whispers, but also with caresses: soft kisses that traced the corners of her lips, her nose, and eyelids, and she was letting herself go with it. In reality, she loved spending her time that way with the person she had been developing affection for, opening up faster than she had imagined and showing her many things about herself: things she often revealed only months later.

In the process, she realized how distant she had become from Minji, as she watched her walk alone at school. It had been just the two of them for a long time during breaks, and a pang of guilt pressed her chest. She decided it was time to make amends and apologize, and when they had their first conversation in days of absolute silence, Hanni started thinking.

"Maybe last time I was too harsh with you, but... Hanni," Minji called. She paused, as if about to say something definitive, something crucial, "have you ever thought about how she climbs that tree so fast? Or how you say you can't even see her when she's already in your room and you don't know how she gets in? There's no problem with everything going on between you two. Ultimately, if you say you like her, that's fine, but I just want you to consider the things she does..."

It was then that Hanni came to her senses, as she should have long ago. Sometimes, Danielle's skin was cold, too cold to be real, sometimes she emitted a strong halo of light, too strong to be just the moonlight behind her, sometimes Danielle seemed to speak in the past tense, as if there was nothing to talk about in her present, and sometimes it was strange, because she didn't even seem to have family or more friends. It was as if she were stuck in the past and couldn't distinguish between her thoughts and reality, even though she usually appeared quite clever and insightful.

But most of all, the moon.

Danielle would tell her that she had already been to the moon, that it was beautiful to be there, in the middle of all the calm that brought peace to her soul. That she had fun and jumped, as if she were about to spend her last days dancing on its craters, and that someday she would take Hanni with her. It was strange, really strange, because Hanni didn't want to believe it at first, but being with Danielle, when she placed a hand on her chest and an infinite sense of freshness and calmness washed over her body, a kind of dense fog would cover her eyes until she closed them, and she swore she felt very cold and her feet in nothingness, as if she were simply floating, and Danielle had told her it was because she was giving her a vision of the moon, between the physical and spiritual plane.

And incredibly, Hanni had ended up believing her.

Hanni had wanted to go to the moon with Danielle, and she still desired it with the same fervor.

But she couldn't ignore certain things, and Hanni decided to talk to Danielle that night, if she appeared in the tree branches, and by the time her relationship with Minji was repaired, she returned home, began her tasks while keeping an eye on the window, waiting with a little impatience for the characteristic figure with a halo of cold light to reflect outside, with her smile and hair dancing in the air currents.

However, that night she did not appear. Neither the next night nor the following, until a whole week went by without any sign of Danielle.

Hanni was desperate, restless, and exasperated, and a terrible weight squeezed her chest every time midnight arrived and her eyes could no longer resist sleep, again, on another night without Danielle's presence. She didn't know why she had stopped coming, if she had been forbidden to go out again, or... she didn't know. Hanni really had no idea, and that made her even more nervous.

During the night, she swore she saw her wall glow a little brighter, where the yellow notes from Danielle seemed like fragments of the sun scattered with warmth, and she would reread them to calm her own anxiety.

'Talk to Minji. From what you've told me, you two seem to be good friends, and I wouldn't like to know that you're distant from her.'

'Do you think my present is a mystery? In reality, I'd say my past is the real mystery.'

'Do you like when you go with me to the moon? I know it hasn't happened yet, but the times you've been closest, it felt good, didn't it?'

It wasn't until almost two weeks later that, when Hanni couldn't bear the loneliness in her four walls any longer, and decided to take a walk around the area, she saw her again, and the moment that happened, she felt her heart beat a little faster. Danielle Marsh was there, sitting on the lowest branch of a tree in the park, looking down and gently swinging her leg. Hanni didn't hesitate to approach, and her eyes met Danielle's, so suddenly that it sent a chill down her spine, especially because Danielle's usually smiling face seemed nothing more than impassive.

"Hello, Hanni."

'Before you used to call me Han,' Hanni thought, with a bit of remorse. Really, with the trust they were beginning to have, she once thought of being polite and calling her 'unnie,' but she didn't know how old Danielle was. All she knew was that she had revealed she was around the same age as her.

"Hello, Dani," Hanni greeted back. She scrutinized Danielle's face so much that she was sure it was why Danielle averted her gaze. "I didn't see you for almost two weeks."

"I know."

"Why? Why didn't you come to visit me?" Hanni asked, and maybe it sounded like a plea. "You know I would like to visit you, but Ι..."

"Yes, yes, I understand," Danielle responded. Her voice was impassive, in contrast to Hanni's constant nervous movements. "I suppose there's something you want to talk about, and until then, you'll know why I haven't come."

"Well, you disappeared for two weeks without even giving a clue or anything to tell me where you were or what you were doing, and now you seem to act like nothing happened," Hanni said, with a hint of resentment in her voice. "Can I know why?"

Danielle remained silent for a moment, moving from her position with her head resting on the trunk to sitting with her head down, looking at the ground. Her fluttering eyelashes became a little softer, almost hypnotic.

"Hanni..." she turned to look at her with her dark eyes like wells of pitch, "what do you think of me? What do you suspect about me?"

Hanni knew what she meant with those questions, and she didn't hold back in telling the truth.

"You're too unnatural," she replied, brief and direct. "You know, I developed a lot of affection for you in such a short time... And the things you do... How can you get to my window so quickly, or how do you manage to climb that tree so fast, or..." Hanni paused, swallowing, "why do I feel such urgency to know the moon with you?"

Danielle instinctively directed her gaze towards the moon. It was a night with a waning crescent moon.

"Because I was once from this world, Han. If I seem like someone out of the ordinary, it's because I'm a lost soul," Danielle answered. Hanni didn't seem to understand yet, based on her furrowed brow, so she explained more, "It may seem surreal, and maybe you won't even believe me, but I... in reality, I was born in Newcastle, Australia, in 1995. I don't remember very well when or how I died, but I know the cause was my dad. He suffered from sociopathy, and since then, I haven't been able to find a path to follow, and I'm still lost." Danielle spoke, her voice tinged with ashy notes and her eyes lost in nothingness, "But then I met you."

Danielle climbed down from the tree without taking her eyes off Hanni, and Hanni didn't step back. She stood in front of her, without moving an inch, focused on the movements of her face and her words of half-hearted sentiment.

"When I had nothing else to do, I would stay in the big tree in my parents' yard and just watch the night, and at some point, you could see me. Somehow, something told me that you might be able to help me, so I took enough courage to approach you, and I can't lie if I tell you that being with you... made me feel alive again. It was as if you ignited something inside me." Danielle took one of her hands, and Hanni didn't pull away. "I knew you were beginning to suspect me, so I took some time to distance myself and think things through, and... Han, I'm scared. I know I shouldn't even be able to feel it, but the fact that you've seen me, that we can talk and I can touch you... gives me a bad feeling. It's not something you or I should do, and I have a slight suspicion that it's because... you can help free me from this. I'm still here because I have something unresolved from my past life."

Hanni looked directly into Danielle's eyes, falling into the very reflection she emanated from her dark eyes and her pale, cold skin, and she gently caressed the large scar on Danielle's neck, which she didn't even know how she had gotten, and she seemed to understand everything, or at least a large part of it. If she needed help, she would give it.

"Take me home, Dan."

So Danielle fulfilled her request, and while the moon spread like heaps of pearls across the night, Hanni was having the best time of her life. With every button that came undone, with every pronounced gasp and every drop of sweat that fell between the sheets, the darkness dissipated, leaving only craters: dozens of them where they both fell, slowly and infinitely.

"Dani, Dani!"

When her nails dug deep into the cold skin of her shoulders and a high-pitched moan escaped her lips unintentionally, she felt the libido cascade between her legs like waterfalls, and she had never felt so complete and so empty at the same time, as if with each touch, her body demanded more to calm the feeling of breaking inside. But finally, she let herself fall between the sheets, with no shame in covering herself, because the shadow above her that hid her was enough.

"Han, I... I would so much like to take you with me, but... it would mean certain death."

Hanni slowly slid her hands down her own body and, when she returned, she pulled Danielle into a less heated kiss, softer, and she wanted to carry that moment inside forever.

Danielle stayed the night, and in dreams, Hanni could feel a sharp pain squeezing her, so she woke up abruptly, with a sense that something was wrong, as she looked at the empty spot in her bed where Danielle no longer was. Almost running out of her room and house, pushed by an invisible force that took her to the neighbor's fence, still in minimal clothing, and climbing it with haste. On the other side, she ran through the grass and sat under the big tree, clawing the ground as fast as she could.

She didn't know how much time had passed while she did that, she just knew that an urgency to do it consumed her with each piece of earth she removed, and when her knuckles hit something hard, she knew she had found it. 

Under the large tree, she found Danielle Marsh's body, with the bones slightly worn but mostly intact, along with a half-removed bracelet that reflected a date: April 11, 2012.

Raising her gaze, searching for hope, she looked up at the night sky, where there was now a bright full moon, and she didn't know when she collapsed to the ground, with her hands covered in dirt and several bones emerging from the acidic soil.

But the nightmare was about to end.

***

"So," Minji began, eating her sandwich, a little nervous, "how did everything go?"

"At first, I didn't remember anything, but then I quickly got up from the ground and, taking advantage of the fact that my parents hadn't arrived home yet, I told them what I had found. I didn't give them too many details about why I was at the neighbor's fence in the first place, but that was the least of it. Hours later, I saw many police officers and cars surrounding the house. I could hear Mr. Marsh screaming like a maniac," Hanni explained, occasionally taking a necessary breath. "It didn't take long before we received a letter informing us when the trial would take place and all that. I just answered a few questions from the prosecutor; I think the lawyer even thought I was crazy for not being able to explain why I was there, but who would focus more on me when the investigations had been made clear that those were human bones? Still, I'm happy that man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. He had killed his daughter with a blow to the head just for seeing her with a boy from her school, and to avoid suspicion, he buried the body under the tree."

"It kind of dissociates me that you're acting so calmly," Minji said as serenely as she could. Hanni swore that Minji's erratic heartbeats were like an alarm. "What did you tell me before all that?"

Hanni blinked, processing everything in her head.

"He started screaming as they took him away that he also planned to kill me with his shovel."

Hanni was going to meet the same fate as Danielle, and yet, she felt calmer than she could have imagined.

At night, as she lay in her bed, counting the yellow notes Danielle had previously left on her walls, she stopped at one of them, which read:

'How close do you think I have been to the moon?'

And she closed her eyes. She imagined being somewhere different, outside of those four walls that enveloped her, and there was a light. Her body no longer felt supported on a soft surface, but rather floating, as if she were wrapped in a bubble incapable of bursting. She opened her eyes, and what she saw left her in shock.

It was the moon; she was seeing it, watching the Earth as a tiny blue and green circle, the sky completely dark but filled with stars, like glowing pupils, feeling the rocky ground under her formless feet. An intense flash of light sparkled: it was the Sun, and she felt like she might die at any moment, but she was there, and she knew everything was okay, because Danielle was there too. It was true.

Danielle was gently touching some of the prominent craters, and when they looked at each other, smiling softly, she walked toward her, with yellow notes in her hands, and asked:

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

Hanni smiled.

"I believe in you, Dani. You kept your promise to take me to the moon. You're incredible. It's a miracle that I met you."

Danielle smiled in the sweetest way Hanni had seen in all her eighteen years of life, and she could only keep her eyes on her silhouette, which slowly faded with each passing second, becoming nothing more than a blur of stardust, until a light consumed any trace of her, leaving no further signs of her presence, as the yellow notes scattered across the rocky ground, something that whispered from the deep silence a "thank you for everything. Thank you for freeing me from the weight of my past life, even knowing that you'll never see me again; thank you for all the smiles and hugs that made me feel alive again and that I cherished every second, and for the feelings and happy moments we shared together. Thank you for showing me how incredible life can be," and Hanni could breathe with ease.

That day, or perhaps long after, was a night of a full moon.