Three

Closely Far Away (Tomorrow)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She feels her daughter go tense as Nabi holds Tiffany's hands tighter with sweaty palms when they approach the building. 

"Are you okay, popo-yah?" She felt the need to call her popo to calm her down and remind her of her own presence.

"Yes, omma. My heart is pounding fast, I think." Tiffany feels relieved with what her daughter says. At least it's not something else. She crouches down to meet her daughter's eyes.

"Omma will be here with you throughout, okay? Just squeeze my hands when you feel nervous again, or any other feeling. Got it?" She holds her daughter's shoulders.

"Omma, saranghae.” Nabi smiles at her mom and the latter stands up after patting her daughter's head to continue walking.

"Nado, Nabi-yah.”

The two enter the room where Nabi's birth mom is. Not knowing what to do, Nabi squeezes Tiffany's hand which prompts her to speak.

"Hello, Haeunie. Our lovely daughter wanted to see you today. You know what day it is, yeah?" Tiffany was trying her best to not tear up. "You were very brave that day." Her voice betrays her as it cracks. The memories still feeling fresh to her. "The bravest of all if I may say. I know you're listening to us wherever you are.” She stops for a bit to recollect herself. “Thank you for bringing Nabi into this world. It would’ve been great if you were still here. We miss you so much." She continues.

Nabi's voice creaks after a while. "Uhm, uh-" She looks at Tiffany. The latter gives her an encouraging smile.

Nabi gathers up her breath and starts to speak. 

"Is it bad that I do not visit you always, even though I think of you a lot, Haeun omma? I do not want to be a bad daughter to you, so for that I am sorry." Tiffany carefully looks at her daughter. Her heart breaks at this confession as this is the first time that she's heard of it. 

"I am thankful you brought me to Miyoung omma. She takes care of me very well. I know you can see us from above." Tiffany's tears finally rolled down her cheeks. "It might have been nice to have two moms taking care of me though." Nabi smiles, "Oh but, she would be my imo in that case.” Tiffany chuckles lightly as Nabi was trying to figure that part out.  “What I mean is I would receive double of what Miyoung omma gives but that might be greedy." Tiffany can't help but chuckle at this and Nabi looks at her chuckling as well. Her daughter sure is something else.

"I will always make you proud. I will be the butterfly you wanted me to be, Haeun omma. Please always watch over us. I love you a lot and I miss you." Nabi tugs and squeezes Tiffany's hand, as soon as her mother's eyes meet hers, the floodgates of their eyes open.

The two share a moment inside of the room, with Haeun’s urn in the middle of them.

After the emotional exchange, no words were exchanged. They were just happily skipping on their way back home.

– 

Tiffany tells her daughter to wash up while she cleans the dishes after eating dinner. Nabi seemingly ignores her mother as she was in some sort of a food coma.

“The faster you wash up, the more time you’ll have to watch my past performances.”

Without saying anything, Nabi rushes to the bathroom and Tiffany hears the shower running. She thinks of what Nabi said earlier while they were at the crematorium and she could not help but overthink if she hadn't been paying much attention to her daughter these past few weeks. Their imminent move to Korea has been admittedly taking up her time aside from work, so that must have been the case.

Once done with cleaning, Tiffany goes to take a short shower. She finds Nabi sitting on their couch while waiting for her and reading one of her books.

“Uri ddal.” She says in an aegyo tone. “Do you want your gift now or after we watch?” 

“You got me a gift, omma?” Nabi pretends to be shocked.

“Why are you acting so shocked?” She laughs.

“I want to watch your performances first and then I’ll open my presents, omma.”

“Okay we could do that. Do you want to watch my clips from” — Nabi cuts her off, unable to contain her excitement — “I want the one where you got your first acting award and then your first acting job omma!” She lets out a chuckle seeing her daughter so full of energy despite having an eventful day.

“Okay! Oh my god popo. You’re really excited, huh?” She pinches the cheeks of her daughter.

She then plays a clip from both projects. One that Nabi could watch because there were scenes not suitable for her age and her daughter might get worried for her.

– 

After watching the clips, Nabi looks at her and she sees the tears in her eyes. She felt relieved and breathed properly, not even knowing she was kind of holding it back. She never felt this nervous and she was proud of herself because the look on her daughter’s eyes gave everything away.

“Omma, how are you so great at everything? I want to be like you someday. I should’ve known about you being an actress earlier.” Nabi says as Tiffany wipes the tears off her cheeks.

“You kind of got me scared for a bit there because you were so silent the whole time. You’ll do way better than me, Nabi-yah. I just know it.” She brushes her daughter’s hair and says, “Well at least you know the truth now and thank you for taking it well.”

“If you don’t g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter