White Rabbit’s Message

Winter in the Wilderness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The White Rabbit!" Minjeong exclaimed breathlessly. She hiked up her dress and jumped off the log, scattering on to her feet as she began sprinting towards her. In the midst of her rush, Hatter hurried after her in silent interest.

 

“White Rabbit! Stop! Please!" Minjeong continued to call out. She gradually reeled the others’ attention as they all followed her with curious eyes. The ex-Force girls woke from their slumber as Cheshire, March Hare, and Caterpillar trailed them from behind. Squirrel peeked out from Caterpillar's shoulder, her eyes wide with both disbelief and admiration.

 

Minjeong quickened her pace, determined to not let the White Rabbit escape this time. But as she inched closer and closer towards her, she realized something very odd - White Rabbit was not running away from her; in fact, she was running towards her.

 

“I'm late! Oh dear, I’m late! I am very late!" She chanted mercilessly, running faster and faster towards Minjeong and Hatter. As they finally met near a patch of giant mushrooms, her fair face gleamed under the moonlight as she formed a bashful smile. "You're very late.”

 

Minjeong, who was dreadfully out of breath, shook her head in confusion. "Late for what?"

 

“For your meeting, young lady!"

 

“What meeting?"

 

She smiled genuinely. "With the White Queen."

 

Minjeong let out an irritated huff of breath before placing her hands angrily at her hips. "Now you just wait one minute! You were the one who pulled me out of my home and into this horrid mess! Leading me down that hole...and then you left me all by myself, chanting that same old thing! I'm late, I'm late, I'm late! Do you even have the slightest idea what you’ve put me through? I've been attacked, sleep deprived, stuck in quicksand... I've been losing my mind, and it's all your fault! So, please, enlighten me. What in the heavens were you even late for?" She demanded, her voice dripping with poison.

 

The White Rabbit, who did not take kindly to yelling, had shrunk significantly. "Oh I'm... I-I'm so sorry, Lady Minjeong! I didn't mean to cause you so much stress, I was just.. I was on a really tight schedule, you know, and I was already running so late. I didn't have time to explain, and there was still so much to do. I was just far, far too late! I am really, truly sorry!" She was stuttering miserably, squinting her eyes closed as she prepared for another one of Minjeong’s outbursts.

 

“And how am I supposed to explain that to my friends and family, huh? You try and tell my boss that you were on a 'tight schedule'," she mocked.

 

“I.. I-I'm really sorry, I - ”

 

“Well, you're on time now," the Hatter suddenly interjected, stepping in between the two. "And right now, that's what matters."

 

“Oh no," Minjeong laughed dryly. "She’s not getting off that easily."

 

“ hurt much, Winter?"

 

“She’s the reason why I'm in this mess!" Minjeong pointed accusingly. "And you never said what you were late for!"

 

“The White Queen - "

 

“No!" Minjeong hissed. "The first time!"

 

“Oh," she began, looking somewhat startled. "I was late bringing you here, Lady Minjeong."

 

Her heart skipped a beat. "Excuse me?”

 

“It's getting late," Hatter interrupted once more. Her voice had suddenly become very irritated and heavy, and she put a hand on White Rabbit's shoulder. "We should get some sleep if we're going to make it to the White Queen’s by tomorrow."

 

“Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a minute. What do you mean, bringing me here?" Minjeong said, ignored Hatter. "I was brought here... intentionally?" A suspicious brow raised. "And how do you know my name?"

 

Hatter gripped her hand on White Rabbit's shoulder, causing her to squeal slightly. "I... I..."

 

“We really should sleep," the Hatter repeated darkly.”

 

Minjeong raised an eyebrow, her gaze dancing between the two. "What are you hiding?"

 

“Nothing!" The White Rabbit grinned quickly. "Nothing! It was just... mindless chatter, you know?"

 

“That's the best kind of chatter, though, isn't it?" Cheshire Cat suddenly appeared, her head floating cheerfully next to White Rabbit's. "Less mind and more madness? I dare say, it's the most whimsical of chatters."

 

Minjeong’s arm twitched as she debated whether or not to slap Cheshire's floating head, but she did feel strangely tired, and she supposed she could save her beating for the morning. She flashed her eyes dangerously at White Rabbit before turning on her heel. She could hear her let out a heavy sigh of relief behind her back, and as she marched back towards the group, she headed straight for Squirrel and held out her palm.

 

“Jump on," she commanded suddenly, and Squirrel, who was also quick to be uneasy, hopped on with hesitant consent. Minjeong beckoned the White Rabbit with her free hand, and as Hatter released her hold, she did so reluctantly. "White Rabbit, Squirrel. Squirrel, White Rabbit. Chat, talk, whatever. I'm sure you'll both have a very interesting partnership." And with that, Minjeong dropped Squirrel into White Rabbit's unsteady hands and marched loudly back into Caterpillar's home before slamming the door shut.

 

 

The next morning was not pleasant. As far as Minjeong was concerned, it was one of the most unpleasant mornings she had ever had.

 

“We're late! We're so late!" White Rabbit had chanted.

 

“I can't believe I'm stuck with these imbeciles," Chickadee had insulted.

 

“Minjeong, what's an imbecile?" March Hare had asked.

 

“All this sun is doing ludicrous things to my complexion," Caterpillar had complained.

 

“Will all of you shut up?" Hatter had threatened.

 

Minjeong felt like banging her head against the closest tree. She would shoot them all terrifying glares, and temporary silence would fill the group. That was, until White Rabbit exclaimed themselves as being very late once more, and the whole cycle would begin all over again.

 

The group continued through the forest with Hatter leading the pack in the front. Her bow was already at hand, prepared for another surprise attack. March Hare followed closely behind her, though her sword was still in her sheath as Caterpillar ranted loudly to her, for she had been quite against the March Hare lugging that "thing" around.

 

“Silver is not your color," Caterpillar scoffed, and March Hare nodded along confusingly as they switched to the very befuddling topic of "T-Zones.”

 

Yertle and Chickadee followed behind them, their pinkies linked as always. They giggled and whispered secrets to each other as they scanned each member of the group and snickered almost instantly after. Minjeong followed behind them with Cheshire eager to keep up with her, but any time she caught within a foot's distance, Minjeong sprinted slightly forward, and the whole endeavor began all over again. Behind them walked the White Rabbit with Squirrel perched cheerfully on her shoulder. Their chatter was sparse but happy, and Minjeong glanced back every now and then to make sure the White Rabbit was being gentle. Fortunately for her, she always was, and if she wasn't so mad at her, Minjeong would have found her smile something along the lines of adorable.

 

“It must be so inconvenient," Squirrel frowned sympathetically. "Having to always run around everywhere."

 

“I would say the same for you," White Rabbit shrugged kindly. "Having to keep up with everyone who are all so much bigger than you.”

 

“Yeah," Squirrel smiled. "Aren’t we special, like that?”

 

The White Rabbit suddenly smiled at her words. “I guess we are. Thanks, Squirrel."

 

“You’re welcome." They both blushed, and Minjeong felt her anger dissipate as she moved away to give them some privacy.

 

“I didn't take you for a matchmaker." Caterpillar had approached her as she walked past the ex-Force girls. "Actually, I didn't take you for anything that involved being selfless."

 

Minjeong smirked. "I'm full of surprises." She glanced at the March Hare, who was busy juggling both listening to Cheshire while not tripping on her own feet. "I see she interrupted yours and March Hare's conversation."

 

“Usually I can deal with exasperating people, but the color coordination," she momentarily gagged, "I just couldn't stand. Pink and purple." She gave Minjeong a look. "Seriously. Pink and purple.”

 

Minjeong shrugged indifferently and stifled a smile. The group

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter