Why

Question
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun was at the candy machine when Byul reached her. The fluorescent lights overhead flickered intermittently, casting a dull glow on the assortment of colorful candy wrappers. Yongsun, engrossed in her candy choices, didn't notice Byul approaching until she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"If you were a diabetic patient, this could be a way of suicide," Moonbyul pointed to the candies already in Yongsun's hands. The hum of the vending machine and distant chatter in the hallway surrounded them. "I'm sure you could have made a better excuse not to go there, Unnie. Buying candies? Really?" The disapproving look in her eyes was evident.

Yongsun, still studying the candy options, finally selected another candy from the machine, the mechanical whir and clunk filling the air 

as the chocolate bar fell into the dispenser. Yongsun turned to face Moonbyul, a mischievous smile playing on her lips.

"What do you mean, excuse? I am buying candies, as you can see," she declared, holding up her loot triumphantly. "Besides, you already know I like to have a snack in my purse for emergencies."

"But this many? I think you bought a candy from each one that the machine sells. Come on, Yong, nobody does that," Moonbyul said, taking one of Yongsun's sweets, tearing the wrapper, and putting it in . "You’re avoiding her."

"I am not," Yongsun replied dryly, removing the candy from Byul’s mouth. "And this is mine, thank you," she added, walking away from the machine.

"Oh, you so are. And I frankly don’t understand you. I mean, I get that now things could be a little weird, but you were never like this when I confessed to you," Moonbyul started walking too, trying to keep up with her friend. "Geez, I was never like this even when I was the one that was rejected," Moonbyul said, lifting her arms dramatically. Yongsun only gave her a death glare.

“You and I are best friends; it’s different.”

“I thought Wheein was a good friend to you too.”

“She is.”

“So how is that different?”

“Byul…”

"What? I’m just trying to understand you. You even hang out with Erick after you two broke up, but now you can’t face Wheein just because she confessed," Yongsun gave another glare, this time warning her to lower her voice. There were many students in the hall.

“Byul, I told you, it is different,” she stopped at their classroom door. “Now, could you please leave this matter alone? I just want to take class without you distracting me.”

Moonbyul only looked at her before sighing.

“You are hurting her.”

“I know,” Yongsun entered the room.

“Then why?” They took their usual places, in the middle, not so close to the front to avoid being intimidated by the teacher’s presence but not too far either to avoid getting distracted.

“Byul…”

“I care about her, Yong. She is like a little sister to me, and you are my best friend, and I love you, but you are hurting her. I don’t even know what to tell her when she asks me why you are being like this. She has been there every time one of our friends confessed to you and has seen you be completely normal to them after that. So please put yourself in her place,” she whispered, making sure no one else could hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter