The beginning before the end

Walkin' out the door with your bags (JMJ)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minjeong’s four and freshly woken up from her nap when she’s behind her mother’s legs, clutching onto the fabric of her pants as they stand in front of the door.

 

“Aeri-ah, you’re home from school?” Her mum calls sweetly. “Oh, you brought someone home?”

“Hello! I’m Yu Jimin!” She bows deeply.

 

Minjeong peeks from behind her mother and sees a tall girl for being seven years old. Her hair is tied in a ponytail and she has bangs clipped to the sides. She has a bright grin and warm cat-like eyes and carries a small soccer ball in one hand, and in the other, she holds Aeri’s hand.

 

“She’s my best friend!” Aeri beams.

 

Minjeong’s four and Jimin’s seven when they officially meet.



 



 

“Minjeong, your shoelaces are untied.” Jimin says as she walks past Aeri and Minjeong waiting at the bus station.

“What? I swear I tied them!” Minjeong whines. She’s carrying her sport uniform and sport shoes in a bag, and her backpack is weighing on her back. She wonders how she’ll tie her shoes.

“Aw, our Minjeongie is still a baby.” Aeri coos.

“Unnie!” Minjeong whines.

 

Jimin chuckles before she ducks down to a knee and ties Minjeong’s shoelace. Minjeong tries to look down but all she sees is Jimin standing up with a smile.

 

“You’re welcome, Minjeong Baby.” Jimin’s lips curl into a teasing grin and Minjeong’s cheeks flare red.

 

The bus comes to a stop in front of them and everyone boards it.

 

Aeri sits in front next to Somi and Minjeong looks around for a seat, slightly intimidated by the kids starting high school. She sees Jimin further back, leaning against the window seat with her eyes closed. She walks up to her and pokes her.

 

Jimin opens one eye and looks at Minjeong. She sighs before getting up.

 

“Where are you going?” Minjeong blinks.

“Sit on the inside. I don’t want you falling out.” Jimin says curtly.

“Oh.” Minjeong blushes, taking a seat.

 

Minjeong accommodates Jimin and squishes right up against the window, placing her sports bag on the floor and her backpack in her lap.

 

“Are you scared for high school?” Minjeong asks Jimin. The older girl leans back in her seat and turns to Minjeong with a smile.

“Why are you worried about me?” Jimin’s smile curls annoyingly and Minjeong grumbles.

“You’re so annoying.” Minjeong huffs.

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding.” Jimin snickers. “I’m pretty relaxed. I already know I’ll make friends, so I’m not worried.”

“That’s nice.” Minjeong ponders. “I don’t think I could have that mindset in three years.”

“You’ll be fine. You’re cute.” Jimin tells her. “Aeri and I will take care of you and get you on your feet before we graduate. Aren’t you lucky to have two unnies?”
“Yeah, yeah…” Minjeong huffs quietly.

 

The bus begins to slow down near the primary school, and Jimin gets out of her seat and lets Minjeong off. 

 

“Bye, unnie.” Minjeong turns to prepare to go, but Jimin tugs her back.

“Wait at the back gate.” Jimin tells her. “Aeri told me we’re coming to pick you up.”
“O-okay.” Minjeong nods before leaving.

 

Jimin sits back in her seat and she smiles softly.

 

Minjeong waves to Aeri quickly at the front of the bus before hopping off. She catches Jimin’s gaze through the last second at the window and she beams, waving enthusiastically.

 

Minjeong is ten and Jimin is thirteen when Minjeong first develops a crush.



 



 

Minjeong is a romantic, even though she’s thirteen and has an incredible lack of experience. She’s seen people around her fall in love in movies, books, comics, and just about everywhere else. Her parents are much in love and Aeri seems to be doing well too, since she’s been confessed to a lot and goes on dates often.

 

Aeri’s best friend, Jimin, whom she may or may not have a crush on, seems to get a lot of confessions too, but Minjeong rarely sees her with anyone. Jimin usually only plays soccer, hangs out with her and Aeri, and reads books with Minjeong.

 

Minjeong thinks Jimin could be her beginning, just maybe if she still wasn’t thirteen. 

 

Jimin sees her as a little sister and Minjeong hopes she can change that image when she’s older.





 

Jimin is running laps and practising drills with her soccer team when she spots a figure curled into a familiar blue jacket near the top of the bleachers.

 

Jimin bumps right into one of her teammates. Her eyes widen when she realises it’s her senior of two years.

 

“So sorry! I wasn’t looking!” Jimin bows and her senior chuckles heartily.

“Yah, we’ve been teammates since you joined freshman year. It’s been three years; don’t be so awkward.” Their captain, Jihyo, grins.

“Sorry.” Jimin chuckles and Jihyo ruffles Jimin’s hair, even if the younger girl is taller than her.

“Once I graduate, I know the captain position will go to you.” Jihyo tells her.

“I won’t disappoint you, captain.” Jimin beams.

 

They continue to jog around the field and Jimin’s eyes keep straying to the spot at the bleachers.

 

“Is that your girlfriend? Why are you staring so hard?” Jihyo nudges her and her eyes widen. 

“N-no! It’s Aeri’s little sister!” Jimin sputters and Jihyo snickers, and she begins to laugh as she clutches her stomach.

“You should've seen your face! You’re so adorable, Yu Jimin!” Jihyo guffaws and Jimin’s ears burn red.  

“Sunbae…” Jimin whines.

“Relax. It’s been long anyway; I’ll stop practice here today.” Jihyo pats her shoulder. “Go on to her. We’ve done enough today.”

 

Jihyo rallies the team together and calls off practice as the sun begins to set.

 

Jimin jogs up to Minjeong and sees her bag at Minjeong’s feet.

 

“Are you wearing my jacket?” Jimin asks and Minjeong’s head perks up.

“Unnie!” Minjeong grins and Jimin doesn’t refuse to ruffle the younger girl’s hair.

“What are you doing here with my jacket?” Jimin asks her with a gentle smile.

“It’s cold, sorry.” Minjeong tells her. “And Aeri told me to go home with you since she’s going on a double date with Somi and some boys. I heard you were meant to go with her.”

“I wasn’t interested.” Jimin shrugs. “Come on, let’s get you home.”

 

Minjeong bounces up like a puppy and it warms Jimin’s soul to be able to witness such an endearing sight.

 

“Are you hungry? We can stop somewhere to eat.” Jimin asks Minjeong as they make their way out of the school. Jimin reaches down and intertwines their hands, just in case she loses track of Minjeong.

“Unnie, it’s cute that you still hold my hand even though I’m not four anymore.” Minjeong giggles.

“I was still holding your hand even when you were ten. I’m not letting go; I don’t want to lose you. You’re so small.” Jimin grins.

“I’m not small!” Minjeong whines. “You always say that. I’m only thirteen and you’re already sixteen. Just wait ‘til I catch up to you!”

“Okay, okay.” Jimin chuckles.

 

Jimin looks left and right and tugs back on Minjeong when they’re crossing the roads, and Minjeong giggles at how serious Jimin is.

 

“We can go eat something if you want to, unnie.” Minjeong tells her, swinging their hands back and forth slightly.

“Hm. How does kimchi jjigae sound?” Jimin asks and Minjeong lights up.

 

They stop at a familiar street food stand.

 

“Uncle!” Jimin beams.

“Oh-ho-ho, little Yu!” The middle-aged man chuckles affectionately and reaches out from the stand to pat Jimin’s head.

“Did Halmeoni go home?” Jimin asks about her grandma’s whereabouts.

“She went home earlier with her neighbour that was passing through.” He tells her, “We told her to go home early.”

“Okay.” Jimin nods. “Can we get a serving of Kimchi jjigae and kimbap, please?”

 

Minjeong and Jimin find a seat under the covers and sit at a small table as they face each other. The food comes around and Minjeong digs in immediately. Jimin watches her with affection.

 

“And to think I was the one to suggest stopping to eat.” Jimin scoffs playfully and Minjeong grins with a delighted eye smile.

“It’s so good, unnie.” Minjeong grins.

“I know the recipe, you know.” Jimin tells her and her eyes light up.

“Will you make it for me one day, unnie?” Minjeong asks and Jimin nods.

“When you’re hungry, come over with Aeri.” Jimin tells her.

“Okay!” Minjeong grins.

 

Jimin chuckles before reaching over to tuck Minjeong’s hair behind her ear. The younger girl’s movements stutter for a moment and Jimin doesn’t notice.

 

“Eat quickly; I don’t want you home too late.” Jimin tells Minjeong and she nods earnestly.

 

Minjeong eats quickly as per Jimin’s instructions, and they make it home in time. Jimin drops Minjeong off at the door of Kim’s household.

 

“Unnie.” Minjeong turns back around.

“Hm?” Jimin hums, waiting for Minjeong to go in so she can walk home.

“Hug.” Minjeong asks shyly and Jimin grins. “Aw, is Minjeong baby clingy today?” She teases.

“Unnie.” Minjeong whines.

“Okay, okay.” Jimin steps forward and brings Minjeong into her, squeezing her tightly as they both sway. “Make sure to yell at Aeri for leaving you today,” she tells Minjeong.

“I definitely will.” She sighs into Jimin’s shoulder.

“Okay. I’m going now.” Jimin pats her head.

“Bye, unnie!” Minjeong grins, waving enthusiastically.

 

Jimin nods and gestures with her hand for Minjeong to enter her house. When she sees Minjeong in the house with the door closed, she turns away and walks home to her house a couple streets away, where her grandmother is waiting.



 



 

It’s four years later and Jimin’s in university along with Aeri and some other high school peers they went to school with.

 

In Jimin’s upbringing, she only had one other representation of everlasting love, and that was when her grandma would clean Grandpa’s grave and sing him a sweet melody. Even in the coldest weather, Jimin believes her grandma had the ability to make a place warm.

 

Her parents passed away when she was young, so her grandma raised her for the majority of her life. Jimin likes playing soccer and reading, and she likes hanging out with Aeri and Minjeong.

 

The Kim’s were a representative of love in Jimin’s life too, but Jimin never had the desire to fall in love—plagued by the loss in her family, Jimin would rather not start a family of her own if it starts and ends like this.

 

Minjeong’s a strong believer in love and Jimin thinks it’s starting to rub off on her.

 

She indulges in Minjeong, listening to her lengthy explanations about the plot of her romance manhwas and Jimin listens intently, not ever wanting to stop the younger girl’s train of thought.

 

Someday, Jimin hopes for an everlasting love.

 

For now, she’ll just listen to Minjeong’s explanations, but these days, she’s learning that Minjeong isn't a kid anymore either.





 

Jimin’s in her apartment after moving out of the dorms, and she’s reading a book on her couch with Aeri beside her—feet in Jimin’s lap as she scrolls on her phone.

 

It’s Thursday and Minjeong’s just about to finish school.

 

“Isn’t he cute?” Aeri leans over Jimin’s shoulder and shows her a picture of a boy. 

“For you? He’s pretty alright.” Jimin says this and turns back to her book.

“No, for Minjeong. Look properly; I’m setting her up!” That catches Jimin’s attention.

 

Jimin places her bookmark at the place she was last reading and closes her book. 

 

“Let me see.” She grabs Aeri’s phone, zooms in on the picture and hands the phone back to Aeri. “No, he’s seedy.”

“Seedy? How old are you, and how can you tell he’s seedy from just looking at his picture?” Aeri huffs.

“I don’t need to look; I just know with boys her age,” Jimin says.

“What about him is seedy?” Aeri asks and Jimin thinks of something to say.

“His… his nose is too… too pointy.” Jimin winces mentally at her stupid words.

“You think he’s seedy because of his pointy nose?” Aeri blinks.

“Yes.” Jimin blinks.

“I don’t know why I asked you, to be honest.” Aeri sighs.

 

Jimin rolls her eyes.

 

“How do you even know him?” Jimin asks.

“You know Park Sunghoon in our batch? Jisung is his younger cousin.” Aeri tells her and Jimin nods. “I think he’ll be cute for Minjeongie. He’s a dancer and he knows how to play soccer.”
“I dance and play soccer. He’s not special.” Jimin snorts.

“Shut your face up. Wait, now that I think about it, you said the same thing about Sunghoon when I said I thought he was cute.” Aeri blinks. “You called him seedy because of his nose too and he’s a nice guy, but he’s kind of weird, as in Edward Cullen weird.”

“So I’m right, is that what you're saying?” Jimin smirks.

“You’re so annoying!” Aeri shoves her. “You’re not helping and they’re meeting up on Saturday!”

“You already planned a day?” Jimin’s eyes widen slightly.

“Of course I did! Minjeong agreed.” Aeri says. “Speaking of Minjeong, we need to go shopping with her right now for Saturday. Let’s go pick her up!”






 

“Unnie, mum asks if you want anything specific for dinner; she’s cooking—oh, Jimin-unnie!” Minjeong’s eyes widen when she slides into the passenger seat and catches sight of Jimin sitting in the back seat through the rearview mirror.

“She’s coming with us.” Aeri tells Minjeong.

 

Jimin pouts and Minjeong chuckles as she buckles herself in.

 

“I was roped into this, actually.” Jimin speaks in an unimpressed tone that has Minjeong laughing.

Well, too bad.” Aeri starts the car. “We’re going to help Minjeongie be the most beautiful girl in the world!”

“As if she isn’t already without our help.” Jimin says it offhandedly and Minjeong blushes, making eye contact with Jimin through the rearview mirror.

“Thanks, unnie.” Minjeong says quietly.

“You’re welcome!” Aeri beams. “Now let’s go!”

 

Minjeong is seventeen and Jimin is twenty when Minjeong grows slightly annoyed at the older girl.

 

“It’s too short.” Jimin points at the dress. 

“What? I think she looks amazing!” Aeri exclaims and Minjeong pouts.

“I didn’t say she didn’t look amazing; I said it was too short.” Jimin breathes deeply.

“Fine. Go try this on.” Aeri pushes Minjeong back into the dressing room.

 

Minjeong puts on another dress and does a twirl for her unnies when she comes out.

 

“Too much skin.” Jimin gestures to Minjeong’s bare shoulders and the top half of her back.

Oh, come on! She looks hot!” Aeri whines.

“She’s going on a first date, not clubbing.” Jimin huffs. “Try something else on.”
“Unnie, we’ve been here for more than an hour. My feet hurt.” Minjeong whines softly.
“My back is killing me from standing.” Aeri complains.

“Fine. Go find something to eat or drink; I’ll help Minjeong.” Jimin shoos Aeri away. 

 

She turns back to Minjeong and makes her sit on the sofa outside of the dressing rooms.

 

“Stay here. Give me a minute.” Jimin jogs back into the racks of clothing and spots the white midi dress with blue flowers printed on it that she had her eye on earlier.

 

She comes back to Minjeong with the dress in hand and gives it to her.

 

“Blue?” Your favourite colour? Minjeong asks.

“I think you look nice in blue.” Jimin shrugs.

“Ningning thinks I look good in blue too.” Minjeong says, mentioning her best friend.

 “Go on,” Jimin tells her.

 

Minjeong heads back into the dressing room and Jimin sits down on the sofa, tapping her fingers against the arm rest as she waits patiently for Minjeong.

 

“Unnie?” Minjeong calls out and Jimin springs right up.

“Yeah?” Jimin answers.

“The zipper won’t go up.” Minjeong tells her.

“Do you need me to come in?” Jimin asks.

“Yes, please!” Minjeong answers with relief.

 

Jimin pulls back the curtain and steps into the small space. She sees Minjeong holding up the front of her dress and the expanse of bare skin at her back. She swallows thickly. She silently brings her hand to the zipper and finds that it’s jammed into the fabric. She toys with the zipper and gets it unstuck and she freezes slightly when her hand brushes up against Minjeong’s skin, eliciting a small gasp from the younger girl.

 

“Sorry.” Jimin clears , accidentally making eye contact with Minjeong through the mirror.

“It’s okay.” Minjeong answers quietly, looking away with a blush on her cheeks.

 

Jimin zips up the dress and rests her hands on Minjeong’s hips.

 

“You’re beautiful,” Jimin tells her honestly.

“Let’s hope Jisung thinks that as well.” Minjeong chuckles, shying away from Jimin’s warm gaze.

“Who cares what he thinks?” Jimin snorts and Minjeong grins. “Do you feel beautiful?”

 

Minjeong’s eyes flit up to Jimin’s and they hold an unwavering contest of who dares to look away first, but neither do.

 

“I do.” Minjeong answers, eyes still on Jimin. “You have a good eye, unnie.”

“I know I do.” Jimin smirks. “Why do you think I look so beautiful?”

 

Minjeong rolls her eyes and shoves Jimin away playfully.

 

“You’re so annoying, Unnie.” Minjeong pouts and Jimin grins.

“Only to you, Minjeong Baby.” The nickname returns and Minjeong’s cheeks fail to keep their cool.

 

Jimin takes another look at Minjeong, her eyes filtering up and down before they return to Minjeong’s.

 

“Wear a cardigan with the dress.” She says before she exits the dressing room and Minjeong changes out of the dress into her outfit.

 

Minjeong exhales shakily as the curtain closes.

 

Aeri returns with two smoothies in hand.

 

“Where’s yours?” Jimin asks her.

“Girl, I drank it all the moment I got it.” Aeri snorts. 

“Of course.” Jimin chuckles.

 

Minjeong exits with the dress and Aeri inspects it.

 

Oh, this is much cuter.” Aeri nods. “Did you pick it, Jiminie?”

“I did,” Jimin answers.

“Oh, duh; it’s blue.” Aeri snorts and Jimin rolls her eyes.

“Let’s go pay.” Minjeong tells them and her two unnies follow her.

 

Aeri notices it first and Jimin is seemingly blind when they reach the counter to pay and the girl behind the counter is eyeing Jimin down.

 

“That’ll be forty-five dollars! How would you like to pay?” The woman asks, her eyes flitting to Jimin.

“Card.” Jimin answers, looking down at her wallet.

 

Minjeong catches sight of the woman and snaps out of it when she turns to Jimin.

 

“Unnie-”

 

Minjeong barely gets a word out when Jimin’s already tapping her card.

 

“There you go, all set.” The woman smiles. “Have a nice day!”

“Thanks.” Jimin grabs the bag and turns away.

 

Minjeong catches up to Jimin and Aeri walks on the other side, linking her arm with Jimin.

 

“Unnie, that was expensive! You didn’t need to pay for me.” Minjeong pouts.

“How about a thank you?” Jimin chuckles.

“Thanks, unnie, but still...” Minjeong pouts. 

“It’s a nice dress. You look good in it; it’s worth my money.” Jimin reassures her.

“Dude.” Aeri says and the two of them look at her.

“What?” Jimin blinks.

“Did you see the worker?” Aeri smirks and Jimin blinks.

“No.” She answers.

“She was totally eyeing you out!” Aeri shoves her. Jimin blinks, quite flabbergasted at Aeri’s reaction.

“What?” Jimin frowns. “How’d you even notice? What if she was being friendly?”

“She was literally undressing you with her eyes, friendly my !” Aeri ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter