Chapter XIII: The Moon

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"It's a special mention. Of course, I have to. I will never forget that night, around three years ago." The woman in pink said. "The night when this drunken woman approached me and said whatever. She told me, 'I made some songs, and I think it'll suit you. I'm a big fan.', and I laughed." The audience laughed. "I laughed until she took the guitar and started to sing her song on the stage, that night at the bar. There was when I know she didn't lie. And that was the day when she started to become one of the most important people in my career journey."

 

The audience silenced as the woman showed such a great emotional attitude.

 

"Thank you, Jung Wheein. And this award—the album of the year award that you wrote six songs in it, is for you."

 

The audience filled the hall with loud cheers and applaud, congratulating as the winner ended the speech. The MC moved closer, was on prepare to take the mic to continue the show.

 

"Congratulations, Hwasa-nim."

 

 

 

I looked away with a wide smile on my face while sipping a can of lemonade in my hand. After stopping for a moment to watch the award ceremony on YouTube live, I pocketed my cell phone which was full of notifications. Hwasa, an indie singer I have admired for a long time, won the highest music award in Korea "Daesang" with her latest album which I produced in a long-term project we started several years ago. Exactly as she said, when we accidentally met at a bar that night. Time flew, and Hwasa became one of the most notable soloists in Korea, even scored some unexpectedly great achievement on the world's Billboard. Her dream came true, and so did mine—partly.

 

"I'm walking around Embarcadero now."
"Babe, isn't it cold outside right now there?"
"It is. But I feel like going out." I chuckled. "I need it."
"Okay, Daesang winner."

We laughed.

"Hyejin-ah."
"Chukkae! I'm so proud of you."
"Gomawo." I smiled. "Thank you that you never doubted me at all."
"Never. You're my very best friend after all. Forever."

I felt a little warm.

"How's there in London? Where did Richard oppa take you?"
"So many places." We chuckled. I could sense a great happiness in her short sentence.
"You're happy. I can sense that."
"I never felt so loved like this."
"Now I am so happy to hear that."

 

My mind drifted a little to a memory that happened about a year ago. That year, Hyejin decided to take on an office project that required her to work much harder than usual. In the midst of my busy preparation for Hwasa's new album, she was diagnosed with acute burnout and was forced to stop working altogether for a while.

During her recovery period, Hyejin decided to calm down for a month in Jeju and met a man who worked as a free doctor who helped residents in need. The two of them met and fell in love, until finally Hyejin found out that Richard was a British citizen of Korean descent and was born into a noble family who dedicated their lives to the medical field. In short, Richard decided to introduce her to his family in London, and happiness is an understatement to me that finally one of the most important people in my life, Hyejin, met the love of her life.

 

"Is everything okay with you, Whee?"
"I am. Wae?"
"Nothing. Just want to make sure you're fine."
"I know where you're going."
"Try to open up again, and maybe try to date somebody again."
"I'm so busy and you know that."
"Hwasa will hold a world concert for at least half a year. You should give yourself a rest and time to slowly—" She paused, and carefully continued. "Try again. Please. You deserve all the happiness too."
"I am happy, Hyejin-ah." I tried to reassure her. "I resigned from the 9 to 6 work and decided to pursue my hidden dream to become a musician, and I made it. I'm the happiest. I really am. Don't worry about me."

 

She sighed. I knew it wasn't the case, but I didn't want to talk about it.

 

"Alright. Don't be outside for too long. Go back to the hotel soon. Okay?"
"Copy that."
"And don't drink too much alcohol, please."
"I have only lemonade."
"After bottles of alcohol?"
"It scares me how you could read my mind sometimes."
"I know! Alright. I need to go now. Bye."

 

We ended our conversation and my eyes focused on a point of light on the riverbank. I let myself remain silent with my mind empty as thin snowdrops slowly began to gently touch my face. I smiled while tightening my long padded jacket. The beauty of the snowy night in San Francisco that night was a small of luck. On the previous week, I decided to go to San Francisco to visit Sam, whose wife had just given birth. Sam is one of the composers who collaborated with me, and the offer to enjoy my free time in the city was a very attractive one, although I couldn't deny that my departure to the US disturbed a little memory of mine, the one I had long kept under wraps.

I shook my head, and felt the air getting colder and colder. I stared at my cold breath because my body was starting to feel stiff. Many people around started to leave the place as I stood with the same intention, but when my feet had only taken a few steps, I was surprised to hear the voice of a woman singing a Korean ballad in her stable and mesmerizing low voice. From behind, I walked closer to a woman wearing a yellow knitted shirt combined with black jeans. I furrowed my forehead. This woman must have felt very cold without a jacket and in that condition.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo."
"Annyeong—" The woman looked at me. "Whoa. You're a Korean?"
"I am. Nice voice. It moves me."
"Ah." She chuckled and smiled the brightest.

 

Her low, slightly bass voice was an adorable contrast when compared to her beautiful little face, and with those thin front bangs. For a few moments, I enjoyed the beauty of her face, and when she chuckled softly, I was stunned to realize that I recognized the figure of the woman in front of me.

 

"Whoa. Aren't you Moon Byulyi-nim? The ex-member of—"
"Ah. Are you a fan?"
"Will you take a picture with me if I say so?"
"Well, you don't look like a fan." She narrowed her eyes.
"I'm a casual listener, actually. But I remember your face, and that you left the gr—"

 

I bit my tongue. I should have not said that, I know, but she glanced at me smilling.

 

"That I left the group?"
"Juesonghamnida."
"It's fine. Really." She winked and that was the sweetest dessert ever in a while.
"Thank you for singing just now. It was such a moment I had there."
"It's so pretty here, with snow suddenly falling. I feel like... singing."
"I'm sure I'm so lucky to hear it live."

 

She laughed again and made me feel something tickle in my stomach. Moonbyul, a former member of girl group MMM who left the group due to health reasons, is someone who is much prettier in real life. And perhaps for that reason, and her beautiful voice, I felt a glimmer of happiness. That was weird, or maybe it wasn't. After a while, I could finally be able to feel something again.

 

"Don't you have your jacket with you, Moonbyul-nim?"
"I was too excited that I ran away from the car and left my jacket in my car."
"Are you staying here? It's snowing."
"Yeah. I think staying for another fifteen minutes won't hurt."

 

I wrinkled my forehead. I disagreed to that, but the sparks in her eyes...

 

"Take this with you, then."

 

I took out my jacket and offered it to her. Right away, the coldness pierced my bones.

 

"But that's yours."
"It's fine. I'll be running to my car." I pointed out at a parking lot. "I'm sure you'll be a pack of frozen chicken nuggets in the next fifteen minutes without a single jacket. You need it to survive. It's—Damn. Well—It's freezing now."
"A pack of frozen chicken nuggets?" She laughed. "But—"
"I think I need to run now." I tried to shape a smile that I almost ran out my energy due to the cruel coldness. "Enjoy your moment. Good night."
"T-Thank you. But—" I ran and didn't look back, but I could somehow hear to her low voice. "At least, your name."

 

I ran quickly to give my body warmth, and at the same time keep my remaining energy from being crushed by the cold night air. I didn't think about anything else but to get into the car and warm my body. Arriving in front of the car, with shaking hands I took the key out of my trouser pocket and opened the door. I pulled a spare jacket from the back seat and put it on, then the heater and lay down for a moment. From there, I looked at the woman—Moonbyul, who was still standing in the same place and staring at the dark river. I still retain a little of the warmth I felt from that brief meeting. I smiled looking at her from afar, and as far as I remember, it was the first smile that I felt made my chest feel lighter.

 

Isn't she beautiful?

 

I muttered in silence. Is it a similar feeling? Am I supposed to do a comparison now? It had been frozen inside me for too long, and in that distance, I realized that despite my reluctance, I needed to once again try to break it. To slowly open myself up again. The past three years felt so fast, because even though there was a long gap that stretched across it, I could still feel the slicing pain in silence. For her, who has disappeared from my life completely as if she never existed. As if she had never stopped here for a moment to enjoy the nights with me.

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter