maroon

midnights.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rapid pants fill the air as the music cuts to a halt.

 

A hand reaches to wipe the excess perspiration collecting on her brow while the mechanical hand ticks further into the early morning. Chaewon’s legs collapse to the ground, following the long desire to do so. 12AM reads blaringly on the wall nearby, and her arm lays over her eyes as she catches her breath from the fast-paced dance. It’s not absurdly late yet, or just not as late as usual she supposes. Lately, it’s been hard to sleep without the help of an exhausting routine.

 

The idol life is as hard as ever, even the second time around.

 

She would take more medication to sleep but it doesn’t seem like the best option with how much her knee aches now without the numbing rush of beats per minute. The next best option is laying still until the automatic lights of the basement practice room dims on its own.

 

By habit at this hour, she checks her phone and updates her manager. Quick replies with few taps solve most worries.

 

 

[10:32PM yunjin-ah]: chae! unnie! i left the pears in the fridge (freshly cut just for you HAA no

                                       late chopping for tn sadly)

                                       yunjin out!

 

[10:56PM manchae]: sorry yunjin unnie just yelled at me for eating all the pears my mom

                                       brought so shes making me apologize :p

 

[11:49PM manager-nim]: are you still at the company?

 

[11:52PM kkura]: i just left the company to meet with hyewon at the pc bang. text me when youre home!

 

Fingers linger on a message sent from Minju and suddenly she is not so hasty to set the phone down.

 

[12:00AM minmin]: unnie are you busy right now?

 

Of course, she will never not be busy for Minju. In recent days, she’s been occupied with promotions while the other with drama filming. Both are flourishing and there’s nothing more they could want for themselves at this time. Both so far and out of reach in a timeline where they are no longer simply an arm’s length away. The relationship game changed after Izone with the added distance. 

 

Distance does make the heart grow fonder right?

 

Chaewon instantly sits up while wording an invitation to the younger girl to grab some late-night rice cakes. On the way out of the practice, she bumps into Kazuha who seems to be coming from an impromptu work out given her late photoshoot today. Black sweats, ruffled hair, a soaked crop top and… is that takeout? Chaewon is a bit distracted by several things in her view.

 

“Unnie, have you eaten?” Kazuha has a dazed look in her almond shaped eyes, a goofy smile spreading across her face. Cute. Chaewon tries to focus on her initial goal.

 

“Yes Zuha, sorry I need to go now.” Hurried strides pass the still standing girl and Chaewon rushes outside into the cool night air.

 

 

The Han River glitters the same way at night just like their first time here alone. When blundering Minju confessed to the reserved Chaewon, their pink hair both fluttering under black caps and flushed cheeks hidden behind masks. Crazy how fast 3 years has passed. A short walk’s distance to their favorite bench overlooking the water serves as a rest after stuffing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter