Talks

Just the Two of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

THE TALKS (Finale)

Start Over II

Jong Kook was happily doing his tasks in his office when Haha barged in. He was so happy and focused while humming his favorite song that he wasn’t even able to notice his friends’ presence. Dong Hoon was kinda shocked by Jong Kook’s sudden return from Jeju that he immediately went to the company to check if it was indeed true. To his surprise- he’s really back and is even humming his favorite song while smiling from time to time. He sat on the couch inside Jong Kook’s office and observed the older man in front of him. Half of him is happy because his friend’s agony and grumpiness at work is over, but at the same time puzzled- puzzled as to why would he go back to Seoul that instant when he said that he’ll reside in Jeju in the meantime; where Jihyo and Min Hee is, as he said before.

“ Hyeong?” Dong Hoon called once- but no answer.

“ Jong Kook hyeong?” This time louder and Jong Kook just hummed, can’t hear anything as he was too engrossed in his own bubble of thoughts.

“ Why are you back this early?” Dong Hoon asked only to be ignored by the older man again.

“ Because....I’m back early?” Jong Kook answered him in a twisted manner but didn’t even think about it because he was busy doing his tasks happily and is also busy thinking about something.

This time, Dong Hoon went as to where Jong Kook’s monitor is located, reached for the ‘ctrl’ and ‘s’ of his keyboard and turned off the CPU abruptly, earning a glare from Jong Kook.

“ What’s your problem Dong Hoon-ah? I’m trying to finish my pile of work here.” Jong Kook said grumpily and rubbed his face with his hands- a sign of frustration.

“ I’m talking to you here, but you’re ignoring me because you’re planning something when you go back to Jeju or because something has happened at Jeju before you go back here?” Haha finally lost his cool and snapped shocking Jong Kook.

“ Ha, I’m just trying to know if you’re fine, how and what happen with your stay there. I know you find your family, but the other things is still unclear to me. Am I not part of the family hyeong? Because by the looks of it, and the way you’re keeping everything behind you, I think I’m not.” Dong Hoon sulked as he flopped down the couch and Jong Kook admit his wrong this time, he went around his desk and went to sit in front of his best friend.

“Mianhae Dong Hoon-ah. I’m just really trying to finish everything here to go back to the island immediately. You know how hard things are right now, but I’m still happy though.” Jong Kook said as he flashed a sincere smile toward Dong Hoon.

“Wae? What happened? I know you’ve already found them but what’s hard about convincing Ji Hyo to go back here? Her friends are missing her, my kids are also missing her, especially Min Hee.” 

“You have to work hard hyeong. Because of the way it looks and feels, Jihyo is still in a dilemma. And it’s hard for her to trust you this time because of your idiotic act.” Dong Hoon then stated frankly right into his face that he know, he was an idiot and he was already paying for it.

“But at least she told me that she’ll think about it. I’ve still got a chance Ha Dong Hoon.” Jong Kook smiled like an idiot with a hopeful gaze in the vast city view from his office's huge glass wall.

Dong Hoon can’t blame him either, he only wants what’s best for him and if Jong Kook thinks that he’s doing the right thing, then he’ll support him till the end. But if Jong Kook needs to get his together, he’ll always be there to wake him up to reality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THREE MONTHS AGO

After the sudden turn of events during Jihyo’s birthday and Jong Kook’s reappearance in their life, everything changed. Jong Kook was always by Min Hee’s side, fetching her at school, feeding her, all of the things that he wasn’t able to do for their daughter and Jihyo before, he’s doing it right now that he’s back into their lives. Ji Hyo doesn’t protest all of the things that he does and just observes them from afar. She’s just happy that he’s back again, but the answer that he’s asking her during her birthday was still unsure. She’s still in a dilemma about whether she’ll say yes, or no. Jong Kook, on the other hand, is being so patient with her answer and continued showing them that he’s very open to change.

Patience is a virtue they say, and Jong Kook successfully showed them that he’s indeed the new version of himself and he was able to show them how patient he is unlike the demeanor he showed before. During Min Hee’s birthday, Ji Hyo finally gave him the answer that he’s been waiting for months now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ji Hyo was preparing for an early birthday surprise before Min Hee woke up on the day of her birthday when Jong Kook arrived at Ji Hyo’s house bearing a huge cake with the Disney character that Min Hee really like. He greeted Ji Hyo with a ‘good morning’ and a back hug after settling the cake on the dining table.

“Morning too, oppa.” She greeted him when she felt his hand snake around her waist, his chin rested on her shoulders while his lips lingered on Jihyo’s neck.

She shuddered from Jong Kook’s ministrations, their label is still unclear, but yeah, they wanted to be flirty towards each other. Why is it that unlabeled relationships feel so much better and sweeter (minus the assurance and security of their label) unlike the labeled ones?

“ Min Hee-neun?” 

“She’s still asleep. Where did you get that huge cake by the way? As far as I can remember there’s no huge bakery here that can accommodate your order that is utterly huge.” Ji Hyo said as she peeked through the see-through case of the pastry. They already broke their hug when Jong Kook pressed a feather-like kiss on her cheeks (in which shocked her the most).

Jong Kook didn’t answer because he knew that she’ll throw a fit by the time he tell her the truth- of him flying to Seoul from Jeju the night before just to pick it up before the shop closed. And besides, he ordered it beforehand already with the help of Dong Hoon. So instead of answering, he just averted his gaze, but unfortunately for Jong Kook, Jihyo already caught him red-handed.

“ Are you going to tell me or you’re going to go back to your house oppa?” Ji Hyo said seriously, hands on her hips, feet tapping on the wooden floor a sign that she was not really joking about it and is waiting for his answer. Jong Kook gulped and beads of sweat started to form on his forehead, so he decided to just answer her truthfully. He doesn’t have any choice, doesn’t he?

“Uhm..uhhh..I...I asked Dong Hoon to order it a month before Min Hee’s birthday and supervise the process too.”

“At Seoul.” He added meekly.

“ And who delivered this?” She now changed the feet that were tapping on the floor and she lifted her eyebrows.

“ I...I uhhh.... J-Jihyo-yah, the important thing is it’s here right? We can celebrate her birthday together- as a family again.” His gaze eased and softened, reaching for Ji Hyo’s arms as he caressed her and hugged her slowly. Ji Hyo on the other hand, just eased from his touch and hugged him back.

“I went back to Seoul yesterday when I told you that I have to do something with regards to the company, well I really have something to do at the office so it was true after all; so I also picked this up before the shop closes. And went back here together with Dong Hoon actually at dawn using your jet. And no funny business in the city, I promise. ” Jong Kook told Ji Hyo in a silent voice. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ears afterward.

“ Oppa. You just wasted money on doing that. And besides, it’s not my jet. It’s yours, what are you talking about.” 

“Shhh” Jong Kook put her index finger at Ji Hyo’s lips to shut her up for saying things that aren’t true.

“ It’s your jet. I never bought things under my name- oh well except for some of the cars, but most of our estate is all yours. And I’m serious about that Song Ji Hyo.” Jong Kook looked at Ji Hyo straight into her eyes but Ji Hyo broke the silence.

“ Why are we talking about properties by the way? It’s our daughter’s birthday oppa.” They both chuckled when they realized how ridiculous it was of them for talking about their properties on their daughter’s birthday.

“ And we could’ve just celebrated her birthday with that huge cake in Seoul.” Ji Hyo said slowly and silently after their laughter died down.

“ Ooops it slipped.” Ji Hyo then giggled and Jong Kook’s eyes grew wide at the sudden realization after hearing Ji Hyo’s statement.

“W-what did you just say?” Jong Kook’s eyes widened in surprise, but in reality, he was still trying to absorb everything that Jihyo just said.

“ It’s a YES oppa.” Ji Hyo then smiled sincerely and Jong Kook happily jumped around and scooped Jihyo after his excitement died down.

“So I can kiss you now? Again?” Jong Kook’s eyes are so full of hope as he asked for Jihyo’s permission who is also looking at him with endearment. It’s true that they really missed each other, but Jihyo tried to further, prolonging Jong Kook’s longing for their intimate time together.

“Nope. Why? Not all yeses mean yes, opening, permission, and so on, oppa.”  Ji Hyo then ran away from Jong Kook’s hold and went back to the kitchen to continue the thing she was doing.

She giggled when Jong Kook caught her in his arm and gave her a back hug as he kissed her nape, to her neck as whispered in her ear.

“ I missed you yeobo.” Jong Kook turned Jihyo around and their eyes meet. Lips almost collided but then Jihyo heard footsteps, and Jong Kook cursed silently as to why their daughter choose to show herself up and disturb his alone time with Jihyo. His wife on the other hand is already trying to escape to greet their birthday girl who is still half asleep and is rubbing her eyes. She tapped Jong Kooks’ chest to alert him once- twice, but instead of letting her go, he tightened his hold, Jihyo had enough of his clinginess and used all of her strength to push him aside, so instead of their lips colliding, Jong Kook’s lips brushed on her cheeks and she giggled while giving him a teasing stare.

“So Unfair.” He pouted like a baby deprived of candy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter