Chapter Thirty-two: Gumshoe Gosang

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon woke up with a lot of thoughts buzzing through her head. She had been looking through Hyejoo’s past in an effort to find leads to her family. Soojin had heard about this one day and had took her aside during their lunch break to talk to her. Chaewon learned that Soojin as well was looking for leads. The two had agreed to collaborate to expedite the process a little bit. Both of them wanted to find out what happened to the sisters’ family.

They had met up yesterday when Soeun was at the mall. Chaewon was at one of Seoul’s public libraries, returning some of the books that she had borrowed. She had also took the opportunity to browse the newspaper archives hoping to find a news article about a shooting incident about twenty years ago. Following the librarian into the archives, Chaewon set to work delving deep into the stacks of newspapers. Prior to that, she had informed the librarian that there would be another one joining her later.

Soojin had arrived to Chaewon rifling through the newspapers from 2004 up to 2006. The blonde girl was nose deep in newspapers scanning each paper for any car related incidents. Thankfully, Seoul had small car related incidents so Chaewon only had to read a few articles every other paper. Soojin sat beside her grabbing a stack of papers labeled January 2005. Together, the two maidens pored over the stacks of papers.

The breakthrough came about five hours later when Soojin stumbled upon a paper dated back to March 2, 2005. The paper had a headline detailing an attempted assassination on Korean Air’s CEO. The article details how three groups of gunmen ambushed the family on the way to their children’s first day of school. The family’s convoy were rammed and riddled with bullets. The guardsmen managed to pull the family head and wife away to safety along with two of their children. Unfortunately, the guards were unable to pull out the family’s two remaining children and their fate is currently unknown.

There was a photo accompanying the article and it greatly resembles a Rolls Royce. The shot depicted the front of the automobile with its iconic front grille and statuette. It was taken by a journalist probably standing from the husk’s front left corner. The impact from the rocket propelled grenade could also be seen. The vehicle’s steel hull was ripped apart as if it was paper.

“Chaewon-ah, look at this.” Soojin said, tapping Chaewon gently on her shoulder.

Together, they had reread the article, going over key facts and information detailed within. Chaewon had did the math regarding the missing children. The eldest of the two was five and the other was four. Summing those numbers up to the present, they coincide with Soeun and Hyejoo’s ages. Setting the paper aside, they had found another issue with an update on the situation. Still on the front page, it details the family’s predicament and the reward that they were offering. Kim Jungeun, the CEO of Korean Air was ready to give a billion Won to whoever could point them in the right direction. Jungeun’s wife, Jung Jinsol heiress to the Lotte World empire also offered a similar amount.

Wait, Chaewon thought to herself.

Jung Jinsol!

She knows that name!

Quickly fumbling through her wallet, she found the suede black business card she had given a while back.

“Soojin-ah. I met this person before, me and Heejin helped her kid.” Chaewon said pointing to the name on paper.

Soojin herself was familiar with the name. Jungeun and Jinsol were her mother’s close friends. She hadn’t met their children before as she studied abroad but she faintly recalls meeting Jungeun. She was a pretty blonde haired woman who was an excellent leader and judge of character. Jungeun was a licensed flight captain who served as air captain for Korean Air before she took over from her father. She and Haseul met during their Harvard years studying for their MBA.

Chaewon went to dial Jinsol’s number. Surprised it went straight to her personal phone instead of a secretary or receptionist.

“Hi Chaewon-ah. What can I do for you?” Jinsol said in a cool and accommodating voice.

Chaewon was surprised at how Jinsol knew it was her, so she asked the lady.

“Chaewon dear, you’re the only one that I gave my personal card to. Of course I’d know.” Jinsol answered with a slight giggle in the end.

Jung Jinsol was the youngest CEO ever to be given reign over the corporate empire. Always a quick learner and a numerical genius, Jinsol proved herself time and time again to her competitors. Winning the respect and loyalty of her employees with her people skills and charisma.

“Jinsol-ssi, may we meet? I have something that I need to ask you in person. Its really important for a friend.”

“Sure dear. How about I send a car over to your location and we’ll talk in my office?” Jinsol offered.

Chaewon agreed and gave her location. Before placing the papers back, she and Soojin snapped photos of the newspapers and the news articles. Exiting the library, they sat out at the bench to wait for the car Jinsol sent.

Soojin’s phone rang, it was Soeun. She had called to say that she had arrived home safe. She asked to meet Soojin tommorow morning. Agreeing, the two said some affectionate phrases that elicited Chaewon to raise her eyebrows in reaction.

A jet black Hummer parked outside the library. The gargantuan vehicle skidded to a halt near the front steps. Two burly black suited men came out along with a lady in office attire. Spotting the two ladies sitting on the bench she approached them and asked if one of them was Chaewon. Chaewon confirmed it was indeed her and she said Soojin is with her, indicating to Soojin sitting beside her. The lady nodded and asked the two of them to follow her.

They were on the road once more in moments. The Lotte World Tower wasn’t too far from here so Chaewon expected that the trip would be short. About a quarter of an hour later, they had arrived at the famous department store’s headquarters. The vehicle entered the underground garage and parked beside a hypercar. A Lamborghini, Soojin observed as she got out from the door opened by one of the guards. Despite their intimidating appearance, the two had learned that the men were friendly and easy going. Perhaps Jinsol had cleared them with her security so they were lax in their approach.

Entering an express elevator, they were soon whisked up to the executive floors all the way to the top.

The elevator dinged open to reveal an opulent reception lobby. The bespoke and intricate decor truly belonged in the office of one of the biggest retail outlets in Korea. The lady accompanying them had resumed her station behind the secretary’s desk. She then paged them ahead towards Jinsol’s private office.

“Chaewon-ah! Welcome! Oh… Oh darling I know you!” Jinsol greeted as she turned around from the glass windows of the building. She had seen Soojin in Soeun’s phone earlier. She must be Soojin.

“Hi ma’am. Have we met before?” Soojin courteously asked.

“This is our first meeting but I have seen you on someone’s phone earlier. A new friend I met while I was down at one of my malls.” Jinsol explained as she moved, gently kissing each of the girl’s cheeks.

“You’re Soeun-ah’s lucky girl! Oh you are one lucky young lady indeed!” Jinsol said, gently pinching Soojin arm.

She then invited them to sit down on the plush couch. She sat beside the two, personally offering them some snacks in the form of chocolates and tea. They partook in some as they conversed with Jinsol.

“Jinsol-ssi. I’ve come upon something in my research that you may need to know.” Chaewon said attracting attention from Jinsol who leaned forward, clearly interested.

“What is it dear?”

Chaewon opened her phone and showed Jinsol the newspaper article’s photo. The one detailing the tragic event fifteen years ago.

“Yes, my two precious gems gone from me. You’ve met my eldest at the grocery Chaewon-ah. My sec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter