Just admit it

Just admit it
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Karina is Yoona and Yuri's neighbor who always voluntarily looks after YoonYul's kid when needed, especially in an emergency situation. Like this morning, Yoona unexpectedly had a major contraction and was hospitalized with the probability of having their second child earlier than the due date. Luckily, Karina was in her summer break, so that she could stay over at YoonYul's house.

Karina is in the kitchen checking the fridge while wondering if there are any ingredients she could cook for dinner, even though she's been trusted to hold Yuri's credit card and was allowed to buy any food. Still, Karina knows so well that YoonYul's daughter had granny taste buds, unlike other kids around her age who usually like fast food. Home cooking would be the best option.

The doorbell rang, and she straightened with a frown. She wasn't expecting any guest, or maybe a salesperson who wants to offer a product? But now everything is sold online on the internet. Or perhaps a package courier.

Karina opened the door to meet a girl with long blonde hair carrying a fairly large backpack as if she was running away from home.

Like a ball of energy, the girl exclaimed, "YoonYul unnies, Princess is here!"

"What the... Who are you?" Karina was very confused by the girl's sudden presence.

Winter craned her neck back, looking at Karina thoroughly, "Well, who are you?"

"I'm the neighbor," Karina answered her.

"Why is the neighbor in my unnie's house?"

"Your unnie?" Karina asked back.

"I'm Yoona's unnie cousin," She explained.

"Wait, let me check," Karina pretended to check the nonexistent list in her hand, "Nope, you're not on the guest list."

"What are you talking about? I'm here to spend my weekend," Winter said before walking past Karina and dropping her backpack on the living room floor, "Where's everybody?"

"Miss Kwon and her wife are at the hospital," Karina answered. The blonde girl's attitude is slowly rubbed her the wrong way.

"Why? What happened to them?" Winter worriedly asked.

"Miss Yoona might be going into labor. She's suddenly having contractions this morning."

"What? But the due date is still in two weeks."

"Maybe the baby wants to come out early," Karina shrugged.

"Then what about Hana?"

"Isn't that obvious? I'm here to take care of her."

"Ohh, you are the nanny," Winter smiled knowingly.

Karina disregarded the statement entirely and moved to the coffee table to get her car key and denim jacket.

"Hey, where are you going?" Winter asked.

"I need to pick up Hana from school," Karina said while putting her jacket on and walking out.

 

*

 

Karina was about to start the engine when Winter slid in the front seat and fastened her own seatbelt.

"What are you doing?" Karina asked, irritated by the intrusion.

"Duh. Pick up my niece from school," Winter answered nonchalantly.

"But it's my car,"

"But it's my niece. I don't trust someone stranger to pick her up at school," Winter reasoned.

"I've picked her up from school a couple of times. Even her school teacher already knows me,"

"Oh, good for you," Winter said sarcastically.

"Do you even know her favorite teacher's name?" Karina asked.

"Hmm… Miss Fany?"

"Ding!" Karina mimicked the sound of a xylophone for a wrong answer, "There's no one there named Fany. Her favorite is Miss Giselle,"

"Ah, right, Miss Giselle, I know I know…" Winter nodded, pretending to know all along. Her voice turns soft as she mumbled, "It's not that far though, F to G."

"What are you saying?"

"Nope," Winter quickly shakes her head.

Karina shot a quick glance but said nothing as she refocused on driving.

It quickly got too quiet for Winter, felt like she could choke on the awkwardness between them.

"So you went to college?"

"Yes," Karina short replied.

"What's your majoring?"

"Business Management."

"I see," Winter nodded, "I'm in Communication and Journalism."

Karina didn't show much of a response because she wasn't surprised. The blonde girl's talkativeness is off the chart.

"I know you're not asking," Winter quickly defended herself and pouted after that.

Karina witnessed the blonde girl's pout and tried to hide a smile.

"Are you really Miss Yoona's cousin?" Karina curiously asked.

Karina wondered why Winter and Yoona really have a vast gap of personalities, though she was well educated that personality doesn't associate with close blood relatives. But this is like heaven and hell personality, of course the girl beside her was the hell one.

"Don't you see the superior genes that were flowing through my blood?" Winter said while proudly pointing herself from head to toe.

"Nope. I don't. Sorry, I'm focusing on driving," Karina replied flatly, she doesn't even bother to take a look at Winter.

"Tsk, unbelievable," Winter rolled her eyes in annoyance, didn't like being ignored.

It's not Winter if not itching to talk, "By the way, why would you still use the honorific to my unnies? you can call them unnie anyway,"

"I don't want to be rude," Karina answered her, "I really respect both of them,"

Winter sighed, "Alright, suit yourself."

In a quiet moment, Winter contemplated her next question.

"Have we ever met before?"

"Nope," Karina simply said.

"Right, why would we," Winter contented, like it made perfect sense.

It was quiet again for the rest of the ride.

 

*

 

"Aunty Winter! You here!" Hana happily runs to Winter and hugs her favorite aunty. Her teacher was trailing behind the little girl bringing her backpack.

Karina stood a few feet from them while silently learning the blonde girl's name for the first time. It's funny they are skipping the greeting and jumping into bickering in the first place.

"Hi, Miss Giselle, I'm Hana's aunt," Winter slightly bowed her head, greeting the teacher.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Miss Ningning. Miss Giselle is not here today." The teacher smiled at Winter.

Winter could feel Karina laughing at her from behind her back. She felt so embarrassed.

"Ohh yes, right. You are Miss Ningning" Winter chuckled awkwardly, extending her hand to get Hana's backpack, "We'll get going now. Have a nice weekend,"

"Karina unnie!" Hana jumped happily when she sees her favorite unnie.

"Hi, sweetheart. How's your day?" Karina greeted as she crouched down to get the same eye level as Hana.

"I got 100 on English!" Hana proudly said as she sprawled all her little fingers.

"Really? That's awesome, Hana."

Winter silently smiled, looking at Karina's genuinely proud and happy reaction for her niece was heartwarming and somewhat attractive in her eyes. But she was staring at Karina for too long.

Winter quickly averted her eyes to Hana when she caught Karina suddenly looking up at her.

"Good job, Hana," Winter gently ruffled Hana's hair.

"Can I get an ice cream, aunty, unnie?" Hana is showing her puppy pleading eyes to Winter and then to Karina.

"You want ice cream?" Winter's eyes suddenly turn excited with the idea, "Okay, let's get it! Aunty wants ice cream too!"

Hana jumps in excitement. She holds Karina's left hand and Winter's right hand as the three of them walk to the car.

Karina leaned closer to Winter, whispering to her ear, "Hey, Miss Kwon didn't let her eat too many sweets."

The ticklish whisper made winter shudder, she pursed her lips from being noticeable.

"We'll give her just one scoop. It will be okay." Winter winked at Karina.

 

*

 

"I need to test you if you're real Hana's aunt," Karina said while the two of them were waiting in line to order their ice cream.

"Sure, be my guest."

"What fruit is she allergic to?"

"Kiwi, tomato, pineapple, and watermelon,"

"Ding!" Karina sounds like a xylophone again, "Just kiwi,"

"I know." Winter smiled knowingly, "The rest are mine, so you know what not to feed me."

"Oh, that makes me want to feed you with those so that you can stop annoying me for a while," Karina mumbled inaudibly.

"You what?"

"Nothing. Next! What is Hana's favorite flavor?" Karina asked, referring to the ice cream.

"It's easy, very berry strawberry," winter answered confidently.

"Ooohh.." Karina's face shows astonishment, "Ding dong ding!"

Winter cracked a smile at how ridiculous Karina's xylophone sounded like they are in some game show.

"We're snack buddies. I even eat Gerber crunchies with her." Winter shrugged, making it seem like less of a big deal.

"That's literally stealing food from a baby, you know?" Karina scoffed.

"Who said anything about stealing?" Winter's eyebrow jumped upward, "I taught her how to share since early day."

Karina rolled her eyes. It is not worth getting in an argument with the blonde girl anyway.

"Now, guess my favorite flavor," Winter challenged her.

"Why would I?" Karina asked indifferently.

"Hmmmppffh…" Winter turned her head away quickly. She was pouting, sulking, whatever it is, but Karina found the blonde girl's antic was cute. Karina's lips pursed tightly with a smile she tried to hide.

It's finally their turn to choose the ice cream, both of them stood in front of the ice cream dipping cabinet. Their eyes are spoiled with the colorful colors of various flavors of ice creams.

"Mint choco-chip," Karina finally answered her.

Winter turned her head to Karina, "Oh wow, how do you know that?"

"Really?" Karina surprised herself. She was just guessing anyway.

"Yeah, ding dong ding!" Winter said, still amazed.

"Well, that's my favorite too," Karina muttered.

That should be just a mumble. But Winter had heard the words clearly, a corner of lifted for a smile.

 

*

 

Winter was sitting beside Hana while Karina sat across them. Hana's eyes are beaming with her favorite ice cream. She eats a spoonful of ice cream and then smiles blissfully.

"Slow down, Hana. No one is going to take it away from you." Winter chuckles wiped Hana's mouth with a napkin.

"You have the same ice cream," Hana noticed Karina and Winter having the same flavor.

Karina looks down at her ice cream, "Uhh yeah."

"Is it because unnie like aunty?" Hana naively asked Karina.

"What? No, it's not like that," Karina frantically answered her, "It's just happened we choose the same flavor."

"Ohh, okay." Hana nodded her understanding, and seemed satisfied with the answer.

Karina felt relieved for only a few seconds before Hana started to talk again.

"My friend at school, Seulgi likes to eat sausages, like Irene does. She said she likes Irene, so Seulgi eats that a lot, so that's why Irene likes Seulgi too because they can eat sausages together every lunc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter