one – backup ;

unparalleled
Please log in to read the full chapter

the same as every day, haneul comes home with a bunch of homeworks and projects that need to be accomplished, equations and essays that need to be wriiten. she huffs lightly as she walks down the street to their house, her mind all in a jungle of thoughts, "does it ever become easier though," she asks herself quietly, eyes on the blue, blue, ever blue sky.

at the moment, life feels too overwhelming for haneul although she is only eighteen. she only struggles with school, friendship circles and family matters but it feels like it is too much for her to handle. there are definitely days like today, wherein she feels like so, but there would also be days where she thinks life is worth the struggle.

today, she concludes she doesn't need an answer to her question.

 

haneul continues to walk further down the road until she reaches the convenience store. the place is empty and it is nothing but a brisk tour to pick up the things she needs. just as she is on the counter to check out the items, haneul recongises a familiar figure across the street.

when she steps out of the shop, she makes sure to call out to him with a strong voice, "jeno sshi!"

(t/n: the antecedent sshi is generally used by koreans in addressing people they are not very close with or are yet to be comfortable with. may also be used by friends to playfully imply a similiar feeling)

jeno turns to the direction where the voice hails and his face lights up with a smile as he realises it is haneul calling, "haneul-ah!" he lifts an arm up in an attempt to show her a big waving gesture.

haneul crosses the small street and shows an equally bright smile as she reaches jeno, "jeno-ya," she greets as her eyes travel from jeno's to the toolbox in his hands.

jeno wears his school uniform trousers and a plain grubby shirt that tells haneul he is just coming from a minor handyman job, "handy manny?"

he chuckles at her, "yeah, I just finished fixing what I can at mrs. shin's." he gives her one good glance and wonders why she's coming home rather early from school. as jeno knows of haneul, she is one to likely stay studying at the library after class hours.

haneul knows that is most likely what jeno has in mind so she answers him before he could even start asking, "I feel like I'm staying far too many hours at school. thought I'd make myself a sandwich at home so I went to pick up some ingredients."

jeno nods in agreement, "that makes perfect sense."

she nods towards him, "you're really working hard."

jeno gives haneul's words quite a ponder before he replies, "I have to to work hard, that's why."

as it is known to everyone in town, jeno is the boy who works round the town working to help support the family—never missing an early morning delivery or a late afternoon repair job.

"I understand. I have to do the same too, but you're more terrific because I think I just can't  juggle school and work like you do."

and as for haneul, she is known as the bright young lady who brings home numerous school achievements—never missing an academic opportunity to excel in her studies.

they are both constant people in each other's lives, having lived in the same neighbourhood.

they know each other, regard each other as friends, but there are more things they are yet to learn of each other. they are yet to discover how their companionship would mean to the other.

the time on haneul's wristwatch reads 5:30 and starts to alarm, "oh, that would be my cue. I have to run, see ya jeno!"

jeno just nods as she watches haneul skip down the corner to her home.

 

haneul's words stay with jeno until later that night. in fact, it stays with him until a few days later and doesn't leave his mind until the next time they meet.

jeno starts opening ajar the gate to haneul's home just as she starts skipping down the doorsteps.

"hey jeno, good morning," haneul greets in a sing-song manner, and jeno responds by briefly taking off his cap and smiling at her.

"guess what," haneul starts and jeno is a little surprised at her attempt of opening a conversation but he takes it, "mhmm, what."

"I aced the midterm exams and I think I can get a few days rest from studying," she looks extremely happy that jeno couldn't help but mirror the emotion.

"that sounds great, haneul. I'm happy for you,"

"thanks jeno, " for some reason, haneul's eyes can't seem to leave jeno's and they only break eye contact when jeno realises, "so, does being tardy for class counted in your rewards?" jeno chimes, obviously egging for haneul to not waste time, "run along now, miss smarty pants."

haneul dislikes the nickname and playfully hits jeno's arms, "you know that nickname sounds like you're mocking me, I am not a know-it-all."

jeno laughs, expecting the exact reaction haneul gave, "I'm quite aware, haneul-ah."

she scoffs, "I would have definitely kicked you in the shin if only you weren't bringing us milk today," right then she grabs a bottle from the basket.

haneul's mom walks out the front door to see jeno laughing at haneul, his eyes disappearing into a smile of their own. "oh, jeno, you're quite early today."

"hello, mrs. jung, yes I thought I'd deliver an hour earlier today,"

mrs. jung nods and takes the basket from him, "thank you, jeno."

jeno realised haneul hasn't budged an inch so he suggested they go out together, "if you plan to miss the bus, I can offer you a ride instead,"

the look on haneul's face either says delight or surprise but before she could respond, jeno already greets her mother bye and starts walking out of the jungs' compound with his hand gently wrapped around haneul's wrist.

"take care, the both of you." mrs. jung sings.

 

jeno only lets go of haneul's hand when they reach his motorbike. he hands her a spare helmet which brings haneul to even more surprise. "here, you can use this."

she stares at it for a second, visibly baffled, "are you sure? wouldn't you be late for school if you drop me off?" she does look concerned this time, "my school is in the opposite end of the town to yours."

jeno looks like he isn't listening and proceeds to put the helmet on top her head  instead, "you're not scared of riding bikes, aren't you?" his gaze falls on her slowly and haneul suddenly wonders how jeno's eyes look just as gentle as he is, "I have enough time to drop you off, my delivery route is in the same direction anyway."

that takes away haneul's concern and she straps the helmet herself, "okay, if you say so."

the two only zoom away when jeno is sure that haneul is comfortable taking this ride to school. her thoughts matter to him.

and although haneul isn't really running late for school, jeno likes to make sure she gets to serve the purpose why she wants to be arrive an hour earlier at school.

"thanks, jeno." haneul mutters as she hands jeno the helmet, her hair partially covering her eyes in a silly mess.

"don't mention it." jeno smiles at the sight but she doesn't notice for she's too busy putting her hair back in place.

 

and that moment is etched to his memory, the same it is to haneul's.

Please log in to read the full chapter