Do You Hear What I Hear?

Begin Again

“Then don’t leave. Stay.”

 

The blonde kisses the corner of Jennie’s mouth as her hand squeezes the brunette’s, as if she could hold Jennie in Shadow Creek.

 

Jennie smiled sadly. “I can’t stay. I have a life in the city.” She said. “I’ve built a career.”

 

“I’ve heard you talk about your work in the city. There’s no passion and drive.”

 

“Starting over would be a huge change.”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head. “It’s not starting over. It’s coming home. You already found work here, and you have people who support you.”

 

Jennie shrugs helplessly and tries to think of another excuse.

 

Chaeyoung sighs and pushes a hand through her hair. “I really think this is our second chance at something real.”

 

Her words are low and sweet, and Jennie feels warm…

 

“I think if I kept kissing you, it would be a lot harder to leave.” The blonde jokes.

 

Jennie inches closer to her on the couch, closing what little space is left between them, the blonde gazing adoringly at her, taking a moment just to study her face.

 

“What are you waiting for?”

 

“Nothing.” The blonde whispers. “I just want to remember this moment.”

 

She gathers the brunette into her arms and kisses her, starting at the corner of before pressing her lips to hers. The brunette melts in her embrace.

 

It felt right. Jennie almost wishes she’d taken a chance on Chaeyoung all those years ago. She wishes she’d known what a great father and dependable woman she would become.

 

Jennie gives her a deep, final kiss before drawing back. The blonde gives her a rueful smile, but she lets the brunette keep her at arm’s length.

 

“I’m sorry. We should stop.”

 

The blonde sighs. “I can’t push you, Jennie.” She said a sad smile on her face. “I need you to be as sure about me as I am about you.”

 

“I know.” Jennie said. “That’s what worries me. I don’t know if I’m ready.”

 

“Then tell me when you are. Anything else wouldn’t be fair to Evie.”

 

Jennie nods and the blonde gives her hand a squeeze.

 

“I really feel like your place is here with us.” Chaeyoung said softly. “You just need to decide the same thing.”

 

Before Jennie can respond she hears the thundering sound of little footsteps racing down the stairs and so she pulls her hand away from Chaeyoung as Evie runs into the room.

 

“I’m all done!”

 

Chaeyoung smiles. “Good job, sweetheart. May I see?”

 

The tiny brunette walks past the two of them to put her homework on the table.

 

“I’m going to bed now so Jennnie can tell me a story.” She said with a smile. “You can check my homework, Mommy. Call me if there’s a problem.”

 

With that she marches back up the stairs, leaving her and Chaeyoung to try and stifle her laughter.

 

“She’s just like her mother. She’ll tell you what to do, but you don’t mind because she’s so charming.”

 

“Did you just call me bossy?”

 

“Well.. you are.” Jennie answered with no remorse. “You did try to talk me into moving here.”

 

“Fair enough.”

 

Chaeyoung rises from the couch and heads for the kitchen.

 

“I’ll check her homework while you tell her a story.” She said, turning on the faucet to wash the tea cups. “Can you tell her I’ll be up to say goodnight after?”

 

“Of course.”

 

Jennie watches Chaeyoung from the living room as the taller girl washed the dishes, simply observing her for a second with a sad smile on her face. With a sigh, she gets up and heads up stairs to Evie’s room and finds her curled up under the blankets.

 

--------------------

 

It was a nice room, baby blue walls, a full size upholstered vintage bed, it had a scrollwork accent with nailhead trim deco, the tufted upholstery was a white color, while the rest of the furniture was white vintage style, clearly from the same set. It seems like a princess slept here and honestly? Jennie is surprised considering who her mother is.

 

Above the bed she had pictures framed, some, Jennie could tell a couple where Chaeyoung’s art work, the rose signature a clear giveaway, she one that caused a sadness in the brunette’s heart, it was a picture of Evie’s parents holding her in between them, all three of them with a huge smile on their face… seems they were both missing something in their lives.

 

The small brunette looks up at her and gives her a brilliant smile and reaches over to pat the foot of her bed.

 

“You can sit here!”

 

“Thank you. Your mom will be up to say goodnight soon.”

 

As she sits down, Evie glances toward the door with a mischievous grin.

 

“Mommy has some kind of surprise for me for Christmas.’ Evie said. “Do you know what it is?”

 

Jennie smirks. “I do.”

 

“Tell me! Please?” The girl pouted, and wow she had her mother’s pout. “I promise I won’t tell her!”

 

Wow, be strong Jennie. Don’t. Fall. For. The. Pout.

 

“It's...a unicorn.” Jennie replied.

 

“Jennie!”

 

Jennie nods fast. “It 's true. I saw her myself. She smells like roses.”

 

“You’re silly.” The small brunette said with a giggle.

 

“Sorry, princess.” Jennie said, a hand caressing the girls hair. “But I can’t ruin your surprise. You’ll just have to be patient.”

 

Evie sighs, disappointed, and nods.

 

“Okay. I just get really excited.”

 

“That 's fair. Presents are a lot of fun.”

 

“What’s your favorite part of Christmas, Jennie?” She asked, looking at her curiously.

 

Jennie thinks about it. Her mind going to the last happy christmas she had, five years ago, before the accident, with her own family. The sounds of Gabriel's little feet on the floor as he ran toward his parents room to wake them up, begging them to take him downstairs so he could open the presents, the dinners they used to have with the Gwons, the sleigh riding on the weekends…

 

“The family.” She answered, softly. “I haven’t seen your auntie in a while.”

 

“How come?”

 

Jennie shrugs and manages a sad smile. “I was always too busy.”

 

“Well, I’m glad you came! I’ve missed you!”

 

“I missed you too, sweetheart.” She said, wrapping the girl in a side hug.

 

Evie sighs and flops back against her pillows. “My other favorite part is the Christmas pageant. Were you ever in a pageant?”

 

“I was.” Jennie nods. “I used to go to your school when I was your age. So did your mommy.”

 

The girl's eyes widened in surprise. “That must have been so long ago!”

 

Jennie laughs and nods. “It was.” She said. “I loved singing, it was my favorite part of the show.”

 

“I like singing. I’ve been practicing so much!” The girl exclaims. “Mommy has been helping me.”

 

The picture brings an ever bigger smile to her face, imagining the blonde and a tiny version of her sitting on her lap as she sat in the piano playing her favorite disney tune.

 

“I’m sure it’ll be really special.”

 

“Can you come?” Evie asked. “To my pageant?” She stares up at her with wide, hopeful eyes.

 

“Of course!” Jennie affirmed. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

 

Evie beams. She’s practically bursting at the seams with excitement. “I can’t wait! This is going to be the best pageant ever!”

 

“I have no doubt that.”

 

“I’ll even dress up for it. Maybe I’ll go as Mrs. Claus.”

 

Evie gives her big smile. “That would be perfect! Mommy’s going as Santa Claus. You can go as a couple!”

 

Now hold on a minute…

 

What?

 

“Uh…That sounds...great!”

 

“Yeah!”

 

Evie smiles constantly up at her as she relaxes in her bed. “Okay. I’m ready for my story.”

 

The brunette makes herself comfortable and begins telling her a story, adjusting the details as she goes to keep her entertained.

 

“Once, there was a castle…”

 

“Was it a big castle? With a moat?”

 

“Yes! With crocodiles guarding it!”

 

“Whoa!” Evie exclaimed. “Was there a prince?”

 

“Of course. And he was a fearsome dragonslayer.”

 

“Poor dragons.”

 

“Don’t worry. He ends up falling in love with a gentle princess who teaches her the error of his violent ways.”

 

The story continues and before she knows it Evie was fast asleep, lovingly she pulls the covers up and sneaks from her room, turning off the light on the way out.

 

------------------------

 

Down stairs Chaeyoung is waiting for her in the living room.

 

“She’s fast asleep. I made sure she was tucked in.”

 

“You’re so good with her.”

 

Jennie joins her on the couch, and she offers her a new mug of tea.

 

“Have you ever thought about…” She trails off, hesitating.

 

“What?”

 

“What would it be like to have kids again?”

 

Jennie looks down and takes a sip of her tea. There was a point in her life when she was sure the answer was no. She didn’t want another kid, in her heart it felt as if she was replacing Gabriel. But as time went on her heart healed up a bit. Then coming back home and watching Evie...

 

“Honestly, when I’m with Evie… I do.”

 

“Really?’

 

“It’s hard not to. She’s such a great kid. It feels natural.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles warmly at her, and Jennie feels a small pang of guilt.

 

“That doesn’t mean I’m staying, Chae.” She said, sadly.

 

“I know. It’s just nice to know she has someone who loves her like I do.” The blonde said, with a sigh. “It’s been hard for her.”

 

“Suzy doesn’t know what she gave up.”

 

The blonde nods and sips her tea. “I hope Evie can get a fresh start in the new house.”

 

“Me too.”

 

They don’t speak for another while. They sit for a moment in comfortable silence, just taking in the evening’s quiet.

 

It’s moments like this when Jennie has no trouble imagining a life like this. Everything with Chaeyoung felt effortless.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Chaeyoung asked, breaking the silence, though it came out more as a soft murmur.

 

“Of course.”

 

“Why did you decide to come back now?”

 

“There was a lot of things, the Gwons, you…”

 

She smiles at that, and Jennie swears there’s a slight blush on her cheeks.

 

“Really?”

 

“You were always there for me.” Jennie said. “I hated how much time had passed since we could sit together like this.”

 

“I’ve missed you too.”

 

“Really?” Jennie buries her face in her mug, trying to hide her blush. During her loneliest days, she would wonder what Chaeyoun was up to so it was only normal she was blushing at the admission.

 

Jennie watches her sideling, and blush even deeper red when she realizes the blonde’s looking back at her.

 

She wondered if Chaeyoung felt the same way?

 

“Of course.” Chaeyoung confirmed. “When you left, it was like all the light in the world got a little bit dimmer.” She smiled, but when she glances at the window it slips from her face.

 

“It’s really starting to come down.” She said, watching as the snow fell heavily. “Do you want to stay the night?” She asked. “I don’t feel comfortable with you heading out with the whether like this.”

 

“Are you sure? I… don’t want to impose.”

 

“I don’t mind at all.” Chaeyoung said. She then got up and patted the back of the couch. “You can have my bed and I’ll take the couch.”

 

“Um… your bed… if we share. It’s big enough for two right?”

 

Chaeyoung seemed surprised for a second, not expecting that answer. “Um… yeah, I promise to be the perfect gentlewoman.”

 

“I’d expect nothing less from you.”

 

The two of them finish their tea and head upstairs, sneaking past Evie’s to get to her.

 

“Don’t worry about Evie, I let her sleep in on weekends. We can just tell her you’re here for a surprise breakfast visit so she doesn’t get the wrong idea.”

 

“I can make pancakes.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles and closes the door behind her. “Help yourself to the blankets. I’ll be fine with a sheet, and there’s plenty of pillows.

 

“We could always just share the blankets. I don’t mind.”

 

Chaeyoung nods and smiles as she gives Jennie a pair of pajamas and turns around to let her change. Afterwards they both climb on the bed. Jennie snuggles closer to Chaeyoung as she begins to doze off, and she feels her put a strong arm around her.

 

“Good night, Jennie.”

 

Chaeyoung presses a kiss into her hair, and she smiles.

 

“Mm. Sleep well, Rosie.”

 

The last thing she feels is Chaeyoung’s warm breath on her neck and the firm press of her chest against her back as she falls asleep.

 

-------------------------------------

 

A couple of days pass and before everyone knows it the day of Evie’s Christmas pageant is here.

 

Jennie spends most of the afternoon making cookies with Eunae and Dalgom, both dressed for the occasion. Eunae is determined to have enough cookied to last the entire evening, and Jennie knows how fast she can run out, they were very good cookies.

 

As the kitchen fills with their heavenly smell, it’s hard to resist sneaking one off the cooling pan. One can’t hurt, can it? So Jennie crams one of the cookies into when Eunae’s back is turned, wincing as it burns her tongue. Worth it.

 

“That’s what you get for not waiting, Jen.” The woman said, her back still turned.

 

“Sorry.” She said, sheepishly.

 

Still worth it, though.

 

Eunae groans as she pulls out another tray from the over.

 

“Did they burn?”

 

“No, no… I’m just mad at myself.”

 

“What for?”

 

The woman sighs. “I was going through some of the extra ornaments and broke the little salt dough gingerbread man.”

 

Jennie gasps and holds a hand to her chest. “Not Mister Ginger!”

 

“Yes, Mister Ginger.” Eunae said sadly. “The poor thing crumbled.”

 

“Don’t worry. We'll figure something out.” Jennie said, her mind already working out a plan for making a new Mister Ginger, that was probably the most beloved ornament in the world. “Don’t give up on Mister Ginger yet!”

 

“But… how?

 

Before Jennie can propose a solution, her phone buzzes in her pocket. Messages from Chaeyoung light up her screed as she floods her inbox with texts, each barely more than a word or two.

 

Her heart sinks as she reads them.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Urgent.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Disaster.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Send help.

 

[Chaeyoung]

 

Come alone.