Baby Hands

Baby Hands

 

If Wendy was being honest in their interviews, she would confidently brag about Irene’s hands.

 

Yes, she usually praises their group visual’s eyes, nose, ethereal beauty, among other things on broadcast; but those were just her standard greasy answers for the public.

 

In contrast, as Son Seungwan, her girlfriend’s ‘baeby’ hands are her favorite.

 

-- 0 --

 

It all started when they first met as trainees. The main feature she noticed apart from the older girl’s unworldly appearance was her hands.

 

As they shook hands in greeting, Seungwan noted that Joohyun’s was starkly small as compared to her so-called manly ones. Yet the grip demonstrated strength, serving as a simple reminder that Bae Joohyun was a force to be reckoned with.

 

Since then and even after they debuted as Red Velvet, Seungwan noticed how Joohyun’s small hands are capable of doing everything.

 

As a reliable unnie, Joohyun was always there to bring them whatever they need. Bags don’t stand a chance with her hand strength in carrying different items all at once.

 

Moreover, her hands were skilled in preparing and cooking their food. In fact, Joohyun would always pick out fishbones for them without being asked to before she could even eat herself. And there was never a time when their leader had forgotten to whip up her delicious seaweed soup for their birthdays no matter how busy they are.

 

As cheesy as it may sound, but Joohyun’s hands were also magical for Seungwan. Electricity flows through them (as she claimed once during the older girl’s birthday) and it really comforts her whenever Joohyun puts her hand on her back.

 

Sometimes, however, the older girl gets a bit handsy especially towards Seungwan. Instead of comfort, dread is felt by her usual target each time her hands creep onto the younger’s rump.

 

‘I like Wendy’s !’ Joohyun claims happily while squeezing Seungwan’s behind like a stress ball. The latter could only yelp and whine that her hind cheeks have worn out because of the former’s unusual hobby.

 

But thanks to her handsy habit, Seungwan finally began to take notice of her feelings towards their leader.

 

Aside from the playful attacks, it’s more of the hand holding which comes naturally between them. The way their hands automatically fit together almost anywhere and anytime. It was their unspoken agreement, a personal reassurance for both of them that they have each other no matter what.

 

Joohyun’s grip was also a giveaway in terms of her own feelings towards their main vocal. She unconsciously grasps harder onto Seungwan’s waist and arm, with her nails digging slightly into the smooth skin like a biting mosquito, whenever other people approach or show interest over the younger girl.

 

It was a culmination of all these handy hints that pushed Seungwan to confess. Her little bubble of hope from before has now grown into this huge weight that she needs to get off her chest.

 

It was during one Chuseok holiday, she recalls, when she decided to cook tteokbokki and bake a carrot cake for Joohyun. Since they were the only ones who were left at the dorm, Seungwan figured that it was the perfect time to come clean with her feelings.

 

Like a child, Joohyun happily ate the surprise meal and when it came to the dessert, she playfully dipped her finger into the icing before smearing it onto Seungwan’s nose.

 

Her loud laugh was cut off, however, when Seungwan caught her naughty hand. The younger gently pulled it towards her face before the bit of icing left on Joohyun’s index finger.

 

The older girl blushed hard at the brazen act, and she could only stare in wonder as Seungwan continued to pepper kisses from her index finger and up towards each of her knuckles, lips grazing around the back of her hand in worship.

 

Seungwan then looked at her, warm and loving pools of brown pulling at Joohyun’s heartstrings.

 

“Bae Joohyun, I am so in love with you. I don’t know when it actually started, but I cannot hide my feelings for you any further. I am baring my heart to you now because I want you to know that I will continue loving you despite our current circumstances. Perhaps, do you feel the same way too?”

 

Seungwan held her hand throughout her confession, staring into Joohyun’s glossy eyes as her heart pounded loudly in anticipation of the older girl’s response.

 

“You don’t know how much I have longed to hear this from you…” Joohyun uttered before cupping Seungwan’s face and pulling her into a desperate kiss.

 

There were sobs along with giggles in between numerous pecks, thumbs wiping away happy tears trickling continuously down their cheeks as they basked in the moment.

 

“I love you so much, Seungwan.” Joohyun finally affirmed once they calmed down before kissing Seungwan’s icing-covered nose.

 

It was supposed to be sweet, but the former couldn’t help away the delicious icing on the latter’s adorable nose.

 

Their soft gaze towards each other suddenly shifted into something else, their eyes smoldering with the heat of desire.

 

The perfectly baked cake was left forgotten at the dining table, as the new couple continued their celebration in the comfort of their bedroom.

 

-- 0 --

 

It was all sunshine and rainbows during their first few months as girlfriends.

 

Sneaky hands during live performances and show appearances,

 

Quick sessions in between breaks done at inconspicuous places,

 

Text and video messages exchanged while in waiting rooms,

 

Notes, flowers and meals left behind when one has a schedule,

 

Late night dates and couple items worn along with their disguise,

 

And among other things which spiced up their relationship.

 

 

But just like any lovers out there, there were also bad times.

 

Jealousy from admirers and scripted moments with male idols,

 

Hands that pushed the other one away while out in public, and

 

Hurtful words said during drunken fights and tiring work periods.

 

Despite of such setbacks, they promised to be there for one other, trying to fix every step along the way until they’re back in each other’s arms once again.

 

-- 0 --

 

Thankfully, these ups and downs throughout their relationship further strengthened their love and they stayed as a couple even after the group’s promotions.

 

Fifteen years of being together as members of Red Velvet and as girlfriends were more than enough for Seungwan to finally ask Joohyun’s hand in marriage.

 

The ceremony was done in private, with only their close friends and families invited to fly to their Canadian residence and celebrate such momentous occasion.

 

Their three sisters slash children were the ones who volunteered to organize everything, from the garden wedding theme to the decorations, along with the classic ‘Red Velvet’ styling and wedding rings as their gifts for the engaged couple.

 

The supposed to be touching moment during the vows and ring exchange turned into a funny skit as the diamond band picked out for Joohyun was too big for her ring finger. The couple just laughed at the predicament while the three culprits were loudly blaming one another at the bridesmaids’ seats. Seungwan appeased her embarrassed bride by placing the ring onto her thumb and kissing it lovingly afterwards.

 

Joohyun couldn’t even wait for the officiant’s pronouncement as she pulled Seungwan towards her by the lapel of her suit and kissed her thoroughly. Cheers greeted the happy newlyweds as they sealed their marriage with loving kisses on each other’s hands.

 

-- 0 --

 

“It has been five years since that day.” Seungwan sighed in contentment before pulling up their clasped hands and kissing her wife’s thumb ring. They decided to keep the ring as it originally was since it was also symbolic to their relationship.

 

“Time flies, huh?” Joohyun asked while resting her head onto Seungwan’s right shoulder.

 

“Not when I’m with you.”

 

Joohyun playfully scoffed at the greasy remark, but it was obvious in her lopsided smile that she still adores her wife’s cheesiness.

 

“Really? Do you still love me?”

 

“I vowed to love you forever.”

 

“Are my hands still your favorite then?

 

“Well… not anymore.”

 

Seungwan let out a pained ‘Ouch!’ as Joohyun used her free hand placed on her wife’s waist to creep into her boxer shorts and pinch her in retaliation.

 

“Baby!” Seungwan hissed.

 

“As if you can stop me.”

 

“Shh, we can't be noisy.”

 

“Not until you tell me whose hands are your favorite other than mine.”

 

Seungwan chuckled at her wife’s cuteness before lifting up their little bundle of joy who was sleeping peacefully in her left arm.

 

She then grasped both the baby hands of her loves and kissed them lovingly.

 

“Yours and Haneul’s are now my favorites.”