[FINAL]

A Cousin & A Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

——————————————

 

By the time she hits eight, her older cousin for two months would gladly draw for her, only because she begged him to do it, and whenever he does comply to her silly request, it’s a reason to shut her bubbly mouth. She tends to bombard him all the time with overwhelming concepts for his next work: such as some human tofu floating in a bowl of mushroom soup, a flying choco pie on space (between Venus and Mercury), or any of her fond book characters transforming them into her.

 

One afternoon, she barges in his bedroom comfortably wearing a cape tied around her neck — like a little Superman. She’s back with another creative concept in mind that will likely puzzle him on the spot.

 

"Minseok-oppa! Draw me, and my future wife, pretty please?" pleads the smaller. Minseok was bewildered, but he obliges with her request. If it helps his drawing improve to the next level, then so be it. 

 

One word did catch him off guard. Wife, she said. Husband is the correct term, isn't that correct? He shrugs it off like a typical bystander out of the streets by thinking it as another adorable mistake his cousin clumsily directed him. For a little girl like her who mainly loves to play action figures and watches animated superhero movies almost religiously, it was astonishing for Minseok to hear his younger cousin suggest a specific idea about her future love life. His knowledge towards love is indeed minimal let alone knowing the purpose of life; he is still seven too for crying out loud.

 

"So, tell me, what’s your husband’s going to look like?” Minseok starts to interrogate, sketching circles, crosses and repetitive lines to sharpen each face onto the blank sheet of paper to start something. Dahyun's lips arched downwards, disliking one of the words his cousin described her.

 

"I told you, wife." she deadpans, obviously feeling upset. Her death stare fixated behind him, about to strangle him good with her cape in any given opportunity if he says the word husband all over again.

 

He sighs and tries to lecture her by explaining his beliefs. ”When you love a boy, you marry, and he becomes your husband. You don’t call your husband a wife. Like Mama and Papa and aunty and uncle, they call each other husband and wife!”

 

She begins to throw a tantrum. "You're wrong, Minseok-oppa! Unnie told me, once I marry her, she’ll become my WIFE!”

 

Both kids frowned instantly, disagreeing one another's opinions.

 

"What type of nonsense are you talking about, Dahyun-ah? Only a boy and a girl can marry." he bangs his fist angrily on the table to prove his point and to sound believable, convincing Dahyun isn't leading to what he wanted it to be. His cousin is acting stubborn. Dahyun's eyes pressurise Minseok with her contagious tears falling one by one sliding down her flustered cheeks; her red cape loosens just like her heart's dropping for him.

 

"I'M TELLING SANA-UNNIE!" she screams then runs out of his home, sobbing. Dahyun luckily avoided quite a few obstacles as she goes, almost stumbling into a box since her eyes were still a blur and were covered with her backhand as she continued wiping her tears away. Shortly after, she encounters the girl she’s been searching for who is kindly feeding a stray cat outside her apartment, patting its head casually and watch the cat eat the food with an innocent smile.

 

To have a neighbour friend and a neighbour cousin in each side of her apartment, Dahyun found it easy spending time in both houses whenever she can.

 

Immediately, Dahyun’s crying figure gets noticed on the way. Sana’s protective nature switches on by the time she embraces Dahyun's tiny body. She allowed her best friend to nestle her drenched face towards her neck careless about the snots already sticking onto her shirt like the colour of Dahyun’s snow-white skin.

 

Wind as gentle as Sana, she spoke very softly in comparison to a comfortable b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter