in dreams

our home in december.
Please log in to read the full chapter

A candy-colored clown they call the sandman

Tiptoes to my room every night

Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper

"Go to sleep. Everything is all right."


 

 

 

The first time it happens - well, not the first, nor second, but the infinite last - it's at the foot of the once-famous attraction: Jade Dragon Snow Mountain.

 

("Oh, I know that place," Sana had pointed at the mountain range. They were still a fair distance away, but close enough for its distinct shape to manifest through the hazy clouds. "I came here when I was really young." Then she did a little, cute hop across the terrain, like a quick rewind.

 

"It looks like something," Nayeon said, lining a palm with her brows and squinting.

 

"Hm, it does," Sana agreed, tilting her head to muse but eventually coming up with nothing. They moved on soon enough, Sana stealing glances at the peculiar shape often. It was pretty, and would live with them for a while as they crossed its home turf. "Have you ever read The Little Prince?"

 

"No, but I've heard of it."

 

"Well, in the story, a little boy draws a picture of a boa constrictor digesting an elephant and- "

 

"Come again?" Nayeon stopped in her tracks and turned to just - stare at Sana, who seemed unfazed. Excited, even.

 

"A boa constrictor digesting an elephant," she repeated, and then tugged the layered sleeves of Nayeon's jackets up with abandon, missing the way Nayeon looked at her as her baby hairs rose and goosebumps bloomed. Sana drew the outline on her skin with a gloved finger, turned her into art in a wasteland.

 

"Cute," Nayeon said after a few moments, because the cold was starting to get to her and Sana seemed content with just tracing her path indefinitely. "So what happens next?"

 

What happened next was Sana replaced the sleeves, patted them a few times to iron out the kinks, and then naturally wedged her fingers between Nayeon's, before ambling back along.

 

"The adults thought it was just a hat and the little boy became really sad."

 

Simple, pragmatic. Nayeon nodded once. Where was Sana going with this? "Okay."

 

"So I'm thinking - maybe Jade Dragon Snow Mountain isn't actually Jade Dragon Snow Mountain," she continued to spew. "Maybe it was something else before that, and maybe it's something else now."

 

Nayeon smiled because Sana was so - Sana. "We should claim it."

 

Please log in to read the full chapter