ch 2

Expensive

Saturday, October 5 

 

19:05h

 

“Happy Birthday, pal.”

He extends his hand automatically for - he doesn’t know how many times, he’s exhausted already, and the night has not even begun. He’s been taking in every kind of person that has come to him to say ‘hi’ ,’happy birthday’, ‘can I take a picture?’ some he knows, some not, and the binding ‘work for the future’ talk with all possible bigwigs in the industry. His agent is haunting them like a wolf and giving him signs. 

Five years in the business have taught him that among all this glitter not everything is exactly gold. He’s an innate diplomatic social, and it’s his job, so he’s plenty used to the protocols, although the cringe still works inside.

But this time the cringe is double. 

“Thanks. How you doing?”  He knows this guy, or to be more exact, ‘P’, as the guy makes people call him around the industry.  He might be one of the few persons around here that knows his real name, yes. 

P is one of the hot-shot photographers right now. Also someone you need to keep at a safe distance.

“Quite good. Always smelling for fresh talent, you know.”

Sean smiles more politely than he wants to. They have worked together and that's something he has had to do more than once.

“Oh yes, I saw the Chic Teen latest issue.”  ‘You love your teens so much…’

“I’m bringing something new today. Actually.” P pats the vibrating phone in his pocket and rise a finger to excuse himself.  A one sec check at the screen and then a pat on the star shoulder. “Have fun tonight, tiger.” 

‘Thankfully.’

He has never liked that smirk. He sees the guy walks away when his company president appears right beside him.

“Sean, are you going out with your friends later?”

Sean does not like to share about his private life, much less with this woman.

”Maybe…” He tries to maintain the jovial tone.

Ji Li is at his other side. “Yes, he promised me.” 

“Sorry boss, my mouth is so dry from so much talking,I need a drink urgently. Let’s get one." Sean smiles grabbing Ji Li by the arm, chasing after a waitress carrying a tray of champagne glasses. 

The ominous glare he yeets at the other when they stop to grab the drink makes his former Chongqing neighbor grimaces immediately.

He brought him in about a year ago from his hometown, after this ‘didi’ pestered him to give it a try in the acting world. The 22 years old has been living with him since, and has proven some talents already, getting some extra little parts here and there. 

“Sorry gege. I talked before thinking.”

“Not that you spilled anything important this time but you need to be minded of ‘those persons’.” He said it with more regret than anger.

“Ok, I know. Anyway, you finished your movie, it’s a success, no work tomorrow, ZanJin is already tipsy -probably dragging HaiKuan with him. We don’t have any girl in the team yet but might find some fun people here.”

Ji Li is giving a panoramic scan to the room and Zhan gives him the skeptical face, then follows the view field round

“Forget about the annoyances and focus on the party, man. It’s your birthday, even the golden week isn’t over. If only you would reaaally cheer up. I think you just need your birthday cake.” Ji Li’s takes a sip and his eyes are flying to a certain new female face that has been looming around the Wajijiwa president.

Sean quickly takes a look, only to have a long in&out sight. 

He can smell the forced ‘treat’, and the intentions. 

He knows this game very well, and he hates it.

In the act of lose himself in his glass of champagne he catches a flash of someone making an entrance into the saloon. 

It makes his eyes stay. 

With a yellow crop sweater and chequered loose pants and a shiny plastic parka nobody goes unnoticed, of course.

The boy looks very young, but his age is somehow difficult to assert. There’s an air to him, that is completely different from the usual newbie in this scene. The grace of his body walk rocking that fit, his detached but also curious expression, his resolute stand once he stops and sizes the room vibe while talking with the guy besides him.

‘Must be a model.’ He concludes, after bitterly checking that P is the one by his side.

“Who’s that?” Ji Li spots Sean’s change of face.

“Fresh meat, I guess.” 

 

                                                        • • • • • • • • • •

 

 

18:35h

 

Yibo is spazzing since he arrive to the place. 

The luxurious small palazzo standing majestic in the center of a surrounding huge circle of grass. A row of a variety of roses, peonies,lilies, camellias and tulips forming a protective wall around, behind the high metal bars of the gates guarding the place, only divided by the paved road to the building entrance.

He hopes his attire is not too trashy for the etiquette. 

Now inside the gates -name previously given to the security guard, as P-guy instructed him, it’s been about 3 minutes since he made the agreed call.

The sunset planting its last rays on a portion of the garden. 

It’s starting to get chilly in the shadow so he decides to lay down and bask on that spot for the waiting time.He closes his eyes for a minute to avoid the clarity blinding his eyes.

A click sound in the silence.

He opens his eyes and looks up at P-guy, camera in action.

“I was starting to sunburn.” He takes one of his arms out of the sweater to refresh his skin, and sees the look he receives. So he answers to the cam.

Another click. 

“Nice.”

“At what time do I have to perform?”

“Don’t worry. There’s still time. Try this jacket.”

P-guy brings some kind of plastic-looking parka out of a paper bag that Yibo thinks would look cool over his boyish fit, so he stands up and plays with it.

After a few more clicks and even a phone little video P-guy shut off the session. 

“C’mon. I will give you some coordinates inside.”

 

Strolling his cool inside the venue, he measures the dimension of this party, in space & quality content. 

The saloon is quite big, not entirely crowded so he quickly recognizes some faces from TV, movies, magazines and social media in general, been the entertainment nerd he is.

But there’s obviously one face that everybody is glancing at. One you just cannot unseen. That smile is unmistakable too.

“See, this is the place to be tonight. It’s the premiere party of the “Moon Gaps” movie. The whole cast is here, lots of ases of the business, also you might recognize some hot faces. Oh, and it’s also Sean Xiao’s birthday.”

“I see.”  Yibo sends another glance to said star. He knows who he’s, of course. Who wouldn’t. He’s one of the hottest stars in China. Also one of the hottest men. Probably on earth…

P-guy it’s not missing a bit when he stops a waitress to take a glass of champagne and offers one to the younger, but Yibo declines.

“By the way, last time, um, you know, our last event, it was mid-autumn fest right? I noticed you and your colleagues stayed there partying. The pretty face guy ah...Wenhan? he and you that night, um..."

“Got a bit turnt?” 

They both smirk simultaneously.

“That’s how you call it these days?”

“That’s why I don’t drink alcohol before a performance.”

P-guy nods. “Is he your boyfriend?”

Yibo is taken aback but remains aloof with only a questioning look.

“Hey listen. I don’t really mind. It’s just that there’s this offer, and I wondered if you’re interested and free.”

“Offer?” Yibo is sharply listening now.

There’s a knowing pause between them where P-guy takes a quick scan to the other reaction.

“You see, the birthday boy’s schedules have been pretty hectic in the last year. So his manager wants to gift him someh-”

“Is he gay?” Yibo cuts to the crux, before sipping on a Coke he snatched from another tray passing by.

“Unknown data."

Since his point of view is right facing the guy in discussion, he can’t help to check over again. For sure, that man is his weight in gold. Who on earth wouldn’t want to taste that? But a foreign sensation jerks Yibo about all of this.

“Does he knows?”

“Nah, they want a surprise. Natural happening, not forced. He dislikes those hookups.”

He realizes he's not the only bait tonight. He thinks he has seen that girl’s face in some magazine, when she portraits a y smile while being introduced to Sean Xiao by that big boss lady.

However, why is the big star shooting disdain glares at him?

He finishes his coke in one long gulp.

“Let the girl try first.” 

He doesn’t know why saying that kind of pissed him off.

P-guy smirks again. “Good eye.”

                                               - - - -  - - -  - - - -

 21:00h

 

“Who’s that guy?”  

It’s all that can be heard around Sean Xiao, who has been asking himself the same question since the guy entered the doors, because seems like no one caught the name of this mysterious performer while the Dj started to play with lights, beats & voice tracks, the dancer appearing in the center spotlight of the stage when it . 

Trying to avoid been caught ogling for more than 2 secs from time to time he’s failing miserably now.

The handsome dude it’s coming down the small stage, taking off his black Nike ball cap and ruffling his sweated long logs above his forehead, right after delivering some hella hot dance performance, including singing and rapping, with the swag a lot of wannabes in the music industry would dream to own. He didn’t wear the parka and when he danced the display of his amazing abs peeking out of the cropped sweater gain him some fangirls uwus.

He notice now that his beautiful ‘treat’ girl -unfortunately the annoying type- who remained looming around him after the small talk died out, is also trying to pretend she’s not peeking at the boy.

‘Well yes, he’s hot.’  

He needs to watch out, it’s his 4th cup of champagne. But there’s no other thing he can distract his hands with to cope with the tedious job of been social and attentive the hole freakin night, and with the sipping action advantage he can watch the guy, now formally smiling when several people are approaching to congrat. 

Some hot shots are coming at P too. 

He instinctively sends an eye to the Wajijiwa president, his lady boss Long Danni, and ‘Oh , no’.

She has the eagle eyes already over the boy, but suddenly she turns her eyes to him. 

He quickly averts to his left. ‘The is this...’

“Wow, that dude is really talented. His dance style is so different from what we see around here. I want to know where he learned.”   

He didn’t know Yu bin was there, or for how long. 

“Why don’t you go and ask him?”

“Mmm, nah, the guy seems a little overwhelmed already. Pretty normal for a newbie. He looks pretty cool tho.”

This time he can see the dancer’s perfect teeth, when he fully smiles at Roy Wang, one the rising teen stars part of the movie cast, already making a big deal of bows in front of the dancer.

It gives a turn to his first impression.

‘Kinda cute too…’ 

He refuse to admit his little envy at the genetics perfection. Or maybe it’s just a marvelous dentist?

He finds P smiling at him with more pretentions than before and he’s starting to wonder... Faster than light he sends thumb up and plastic smile.

His stomach flips.

All of these comings and goings tricked his emotional balance.

He would go to the restroom and vomit all this ery out, but his tummy is empty. 

He’s starving now, hence the noisy climate is the perfect chance to escape alone onto the buffet table.

 

The night has fallen over the party, soft lighting and catchy music making the ambience chill and more private. 

Humming that tune ,while tasting few yummy things makes him relax. He have heard it somewhere but he doesn’t know the lyrics. 

Someone yanks from his hand whatever he was going to put in his mouth.

“Hey! Why are you so rude?”

“Honey, I’m literally dying of hunger. And oh, the thirst.”

Zan Jin, his personal assistant & stylist is already pulling him to a corner, giving eye to something behind him, or rather someone.

“Oh my, he’s coming.” the stylist dimples come out when he press his lips together. 

When Sean tries to turn his head at Zan Jin’s target he’s shaked back not to look at the dancer boy approaching the table. Thankfully he got a glimpse for a millisecond, and after the mini attack of his heart he lets his assistant hold him back turned. 

“Wait here a minute and cover me.”   

Sean knows this wrecked little act when his assistant starts to whisper, fanning over a new face. Mainly a male face.

“Oh my Gosh, did you see him? His perfection? His hair, his skin, his lips, his-”

“Do you have a pen?”

Zan Jin looks at him, questioning. 

Sean just keeps munching.

“Why should I carry a pen if we all have phones?”

“I just need to draw something that came to mind.”

Usually Zan Jin is his confident on so many things but this time he receives the deprecating grimace. 

“This is why you’re all single and unused. Gosh! Go ask a waiter.”

His assistant leaves him, not without dropping his signature intense ogle all over the oblivious dancer. The corner of Sean’s right eye is not amused. 

He actually goes to find the barman at one side of the saloon, and asks him for the pen. Right over the bar he starts scribbling on a napkin.

He waits until more people reach the table, so he can pass camouflaged among them and subtly place the thing at left side of the boy, walking away as natural and fast as he can after.

But someone in the room takes account of the move…

           

                                                          · · · · · · · · · · ·

21:45h

 

It’s been a while since Sean could indulge himself in such an exciting activity. 

He decided that using his phone was a more effective way of kick people away so he invented this stupid chit chat with a kid. 

Just expecting to see his reactions- not that the other is giving much more than strict smirks but also is a hot sight...anyway, is giving him life, in the middle of this horde of ‘same face’ boring people. 

The image of the handsome boy is the coolest thing ever, even from this distance. A flexed leg, with a foot and his back resting onto the wall. The phone in one hand while he keeps sipping his champagne with the other one. The side view of his Adam apple gulping is a sight to behold. ‘ Dang..’

Luckily he keeps his phone low, shielded by people around him, cause said boy suddenly scan the room and casually run into his face.

‘Oops.’ Sean is forced to use his ‘you’re just a peasant, I can’t see you’ acting face,faking  turning his attention to Ji Li.

He takes the chance to check the screen. What should he respond to that obvious lame pun?

He careful turns around again. ‘Da fck?..’

“Hey, your chick is cheating.” Ji Li tries to warn him. 

As if he didn’t have eyes.

“Thanks heaven she’s not my chick.”

“She could be, if only you wouldn’t be so occupied with your phone. You’ve been acting weird. Are you playing games or texting?”

“Hey! Give me that!”

Ji Li took the phone from his hand and reads. “Oh no. Again that chatroom?"

Sean doesn’t have any option but to tap the other’s mouth.

“Shut the up.” He whispers as low as he can.

“Ok, but who the hell is D major?” His friend continues also in whispers when his mouth is released and the phone taken from his hand.

Sean just wants to punch his ‘didi’ right in the mouth.

“Stop. Can you let me live? Just for an hour? It’s that or I won’t go with you anywhere after this.” Sean cross his arms like a child, but he doesn’t care, it’s an urgency.

Ji Li opens his mouth like a toad in victory. 

“Really?  Okayyyy, I will just go.”

“No wait! Stay here.”

Sean grabs his friend back, and the guy just stays blank at his side,while he takes a look at the dancer. 

That Chun Hua woman is definitely ready for bingo, but the dancer seems to be dispatching her with a polite smile and moving to another spot on the saloon.

‘Lmao what a savage. Probably gave the excuse of a phone call’

Ji Li watches his gege smirk at the scene and he just can’t comprehend anything.

 

‘Hey mom,did I scare you?’

He goes away from Ji Li’s sight when he sees the dancer reconnected.

‘Ha.Ha. Not really. You need to calm down 🦁  And that girl too.’

‘Ahhh. I knew you couldn’t be her. She is quite beautiful.’

‘🔫😛’

‘Shame she’s such a drag.’

‘Anyways... what if I’m a dad?  Maybe I’m that girl’s dad.’

‘Ewww.  Anyways, I meant I’m majoring in Design, dad.’

This new info pulls a string on him.  

‘Oh.’

‘Dirty mind daddy’

‘Spot on.’   He smirks internally.

‘What if I’m?’

             

                                               •• •• •• •• •• •• •• •• ••

 

Yibo is hugely intrigued by now.

Is this really an old hag trying to hit on him? 

‘So I should be thankful.’

 ‘Ok Lion. Let’s pretend you are not scared now 😄 So which do you prefer?’

‘Moms or dads?’

‘🙄 *Sigh* ... Between Performing or Designing.’

‘Both.’

‘Eventually you will have to choose.’

‘Why?’

‘It happened to me.’

A nostalgic mood starts taking over Sean. 

‘Ok, I will tell you some secret. I’m a major in Fine Arts from the Central Academy from the Central Academy’

‘Really? Same school here.’

‘What?  😱

‘Keep going. Few more hints and I might find you out. What is your job now?’

‘Secret’ 

‘So you really are an agent…’

‘I may have been once. 😎’

 

In a far corner of the saloon Ji Li interrupts Zan Jin and Hai Kuan in their usual bonding.

“I think we better get going. It’s almost 10:30pm and I’m worry we will lose Zhan-ge any moment soon. Look at him. Glued to his phone, smiling like an idiot while texting to some stranger he found in a chatroom, no drinking, no singing, no talking to anyone here.”

“Chatroom?”  Zan Jin rolls his eyes as fabulous as he can be. “I can’t with this dinosaur. In what century does he thinks he lives?”

“Sometimes been anonymous can be fun.” Hai Kuan offers thoughtful.

“Is no one else coming with us? That girl finally went off.” Ji Li comments.

“ Never had any hopes on her. However….”  Zan Jin takes a quick side eye to the hot dancer.

“What is it?” 

Zan Jin mouths a ‘you’re so slow’ to Ji Li.   “Oh, just thinking that it could be a guys night. Maybe Yu bin and that newbie wanna join.”

“Darliiiiiiiiiiiings”  

Someone comes crashing into the group of them three. Is Wang Zhou Cheng.

Ji Li seems to get alive. “What are you doing here?”

“Someone told me at the last minute the gang was reunited and how could I miss Bunnie’s birthday?  You were planning going out without me right? Hu?”

“We actually need your help.” 

All of them glance at the star of the night, alone in one corner of the room.

“He’s been like that for more than an hour.”

                                  · · · · · · · · · · ·

 ‘ You may  have already left and I’m still here making the fool.’

‘Oh no, I’m still here, Lion. How would I miss looking at you?  Are you sleepy? Want to go home already?’

Someone hugs Sean from behind and he quickly drops the phone into his pants pocket. 

“Happy birthday bunnieeeeee. Yah you never invite me to your parties. You don’t love me anymore, hu?”

“Hhh, it’s not MY party.”

“Ok. So now we will make our own. Come one!”

He’s dragged by the other enthusiasm to join the group.

They call Yu bin and the guy also join them.

“The gang is complete now. Yayyyy.”

And one minute later he’s trying to find a way to release from the dragging and take his phone back but suddenly the gang is passing right in front of the dancer, making a great deal of noises, and for 2 seconds their eyes lock into each other, as if the clock would stopped right there. 

But one second later they are out of sight.