Long Nights With You

Long Nights With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

7:00 PM

Dahyun rushed out of the shower. She was running late again. She had told Mina she would be over by 7 o'clock with dinner, but obviously that wasn't going to happen. Her study group ended later than planned; with finals right around the corner all first year law students were scrambling to finish their outlines in time. A good outline was the difference between life and death when only one exam determines your grade for a class. She would take no chances.

 

Dahyun slipped into something comfortable-- her favorite tank top under a baggy hoodie and one of her many checkered pants. She looked like a mess, but she didn't mind. She wasn't planning to be out long anyway. She just needed to buy dinner and then it was off to Mina's apartment where she would be spending the night. 

 

It had been a week since they last saw each other because they were both busy people. 

 

Mina was almost at the end of her second year of med school. Every waking moment she had free was devoted to preparing for her first board exam. Apparently this one was the most important out of the three she would eventually have to take. Mina said it would determine where she would spend her residency. Scoring well could mean she would have a higher chance of matching to a program of her choosing. 

 

Mina wanted to stay near Dahyun. Dahyun wanted that as well.

 

The pair had been together for three years and the longest time they had been apart was when Mina had spent a summer back home in Japan. Dahyun couldn't imagine being away from each other for longer than two months. When Mina was gone, she practically counted the hours until they would meet again. 

 

Her relationship with Mina was her most serious and longest one to date. Mina was her best friend and saw her through her most trying times of undergrad. Mina was always there to catch her when she fell. 

 

None of Dahyun's relationships had worked because she would always compare her partners to how Mina would treat her, and no one ever made her feel the way Mina made her feel. Mina was special. That was how Dahyun knew she had been in love with her. She confessed to Mina soon after she realized her feelings, and thankfully the older girl felt the same way. 

 

They had been together ever since. 

 

Though it wasn't always smooth sailing. There was a point where they almost had to break up because Mina wasn't sure where she was going for med school. Fortunately she continued on to the medical program at the university they both attended. Dahyun eventually got into the law school the following year. Things worked out for them. 

 

But there was more uncertainty this time around.

 

Dahyun grabbed her study materials and shoved them into her backpack. She got into her car and drove to Mina's favorite chinese restaurant. She had placed an order there before she hopped in the shower and their food should have been ready by the time she would arrive. Nothing screams romance like chinese takeout and stacks of lecture notes.

 

Dahyun arrived at Mina's apartment 45 minutes late, but Mina didn't mind. She greeted Dahyun with a quick kiss and helped her girlfriend with the food.

 

"Sorry I'm late, Mina-chan. Chaeng wanted to make sure we finished the case we were working on before I left," Dahyun said.

 

"It's fine, I didn't get home until 7 anyway! I just got out of the shower not too long ago."

 

Dahyun noticed her wet hair. Damn, she still looked great despite only wearing a loose-fitting t-shirt and some boxer shorts. 

 

"Ah, so that's why you smell better than usual," Dahyun teased, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend's waist. 

 

Mina placed her hands over Dahyun's. "Would you rather I smell like a cadaver?" she replied spitefully.

 

"Funny. No, I really wouldn't. Long night in the lab?" she asked.

 

Mina bit her lip and nodded. "Yeah, you can say that. Jihyo was being very thorough."

 

"Speaking of Jihyo, is she here?" Dahyun released Mina from her grasp and began looking around for signs of her girlfriend's elusive roommate.

 

"No, she went to the library to study some more. As if 4 hours in the lab wasn't enough."

 

"Oo...so we have the place to ourselves," Dahyun flashed Mina a cheeky grin and tugged at the hem of her shirt.

 

Mina scoffed and pushed her away. "Hey, you said you came here to study. Last I recalled, that means our clothes stay on."

 

"Oh come on, don't you want to see what's under this baggy hoodie of mine?" the younger girl whined.

 

"It's probably your favorite kermit the frog tank top isn't it?" Mina guessed, "The one where he wears shades."

 

"Wow...okay, yes, but under that--"

 

Mina laughed. "No, Dahyun! We both need to study. Your finals are next week!" 

 

"Fine, fine. You win. No funny business tonight. Just studying. But first, shall we eat?"

 

"Yes, before the food gets cold."


 

8:00 PM

"So how was your week?" Mina asked.

 

Dahyun shrugged before taking another bite of her food. There wasn't much to say. She had just spent the whole week going over different cases with her friends. 

 

"Oh you know...the same. Busy as ever. Minus the fact that I didn't see you. That made me sad.” Dahyun pursed her lips at Mina. “How was your week?"

 

"Busier than usual," the older girl admitted, picking at the last few pieces of chicken on her plate. They were both almost done eating.

 

"I bet...heh...it's why we couldn't see each other. Are you still nervous about that exam?" Dahyun asked. "Sana-chan told me you almost cried at the library the other day."

 

"I am, and I can't believe she told you that," Mina groaned, "I told her not to tell anyone."

 

Dahyun offered her a soft smile. "It's fine, babe. I had a good cry the other day too."

 

"Ah yes, I remember. Nayeon posted the video on her twitter." 

 

"Stress is real."

 

"Stress is real," Mina repeated. 

 

A silence settled between them. They had both finished their food.

 

Mina fiddled with her fingers before speaking, "I'm scared, Dahyun. If I don't do well…"

 

"Hey, I don't want you to worry too much, okay? You'll be alright. I know it."

 

Mina sighed. 

 

Dahyun got up and kissed her on the cheek in response. She picked up both their plates and brought them to the sink. Realization hit her like the frigid tap water that washed over her skin, almost making her drop the plates. Distance frightened both of them, but Dahyun didn't think Mina doubted their relationship that much.

 

Perhaps this was something they needed to talk about in the future. She knew tonight probably wasn't the best time to address this. They both had other things to do. 

 

The couple tidied up their mess, Mina clearing the dining table so that they could have enough space to study, Dahyun washing the dishes. 

 

Mina wiped the table down and once she had finished, she went into her room and came back out with a mountain of paper, her laptop, and a set of pens. 

 

Study time had officially began.

 

Dahyun dried and put away the last plate in the cupboard. She then sat on the couch and started browsing through her phone.

 

"Dahyun…" Mina called out to her, "Study!"

 

An exaggerated groan escaped Dahyun's mouth, earning her a scowl from Mina.

 

With her hands on her hips (reminiscent of a mother) Mina snapped, "I let you stay over because you said you were going to study. Don't make me kick you out, Kim Dahyun!"

 

Dahyun immediately stood up and brought her bag to the dining table. "As you wish, princess."

 

Mina rolled her eyes and laughed to herself.


 

10:00 PM

 

About 2 hours of straight studying was enough to the last ounce of brain power Dahyun had. She already spent the whole day studying and she couldn't believe that the rest of her friday night was really going to be spent with her face buried in books instead of her girlfriend's neck.

 

She had read the same sentence for the fifth time and she still couldn't process what it meant. 

 

Dahyun was done.

 

She grabbed her phone and started checking her messages. There was only one from Chaeyoung asking her questions about cases she hadn't read up on. She would respond later.

 

Dahyun checked all her socials and none of her friends seemed to be doing anything remotely fun. No one was active on any of their chats.

 

Misery loves company. At least Dahyun knew she wasn't alone. Everyone else was having one of those nights.

 

Mina seemed to be holding up pretty well though. She now had a thick stack of flashcards done and showed no signs of slowing down.

 

"Dahyun...do your work,” said Mina dottingly. 

 

"But I'm tired."

 

A child. Dahyun was acting like a child.

 

"Are you almost done with your outline?" Mina asked.

 

Dahyun hid her face. "No, not even close."

 

"Then you better get to it."

 

"But I have a week left."

 

Mina raised her brow. "How long ago did you say you started working on this outline?" 

 

"Not too long ago…"

 

"Dahyun…" she called her bluff.

 

"Fine, we started 2 weeks ago."

 

"And you're not even halfway!" Mina cried.

 

Dahyun raised both her hands in surrender. "Alright, you win again. I'll work for another hour and then take a break."

 

"Just an hour?"

 

"It's fine. Don't worry about me, babe. Just keep working." Dahyun kissed Mina on her temple, hoping to calm the girl's worries. "I'll be okay."

 

"You say that now, but I'm sure you'll be having a breakdown next week."

 

"That sounds like a later problem."

 

Mina shook her head and laughed it off, immediately going back to her notes.

 

Amazing. Mina really wasn't taking any chances with this exam.


 

11:00 PM

Dahyun surprised herself. She actually managed to finish making notes for a few other cases. Perhaps Mina's motivation rubbed off on her. Dahyun wondered how someone could have that much stamina for studying. Her brain didn't work that way. In fact, she was in desperate need of a break. She looked out at the balcony and thought it would be a good idea to get some fresh air.

 

"Babe, do you want to go outside with me?" Dahyun gestured to the sliding door leading outside.

 

"Out on the balcony?"

 

"Yeah, you haven't taken a break since we started and it looks nice out tonight."

 

"I'll pass, I can still keep going." 

 

She didn't even look up.

 

"Oh…okay then. I'll just be outside. Call if you need anything." Dahyun was visibly disappointed.

 

The younger girl practically dragged her chair backward, hoping Mina would at least spare her a glance, but nothing. She was too busy reading her lecture notes.

 

Dahyun sighed and proceeded to walk outside alone.

 

She just missed Mina so much and craved her attention. She knew Mina was doing all of this for them-- for their future together-- but she still wished Mina would spend some time with her. A week with barely any contact left her feeling extremely Mina-deprived. The fact that Dahyun even had to invite herself over just to see the girl made her feel some type of way.

 

Sure they had a nice dinner together, but even that didn't really end quite how she wanted it. Mina was obviously very worried about her exam and Dahyun just dismissed her concerns.

 

Why did she do it? To save herself from entertaining dangerous thoughts. 

 

Maybe she didn't want to think about the future yet. Maybe she just wasn't ready. It terrified her too. But it really wasn't so much the future that was scary, it was more the thought of losing Mina.

 

Was that insecurity she felt? "No, no, it's just stress," she thought to herself. 

 

She knew Mina loved her. She would never doubt that. Mina was her first real love and she would give anything to spend the rest of her life with the girl. Dahyun just missed her is all.

 

Dahyun clung onto the railings of Mina's apartment balcony. High above the ground, she drew in a sharp breath, and closed her eyes for a second. Once she opened them again, she marveled at the sight before her eyes. The city lights sparkled like stars, her own private galaxy.

 

It was a beautiful night out indeed. And it only got bette

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter