Seven

Treacherous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minho had sent a messenger from the inn to the meeting place in the market square where his soldiers were scheduled to meet them and once a few soldiers had reached the inn to guard it, Minho had left to the market square to pawn some of the gold he was carrying. It had taken barely an hour as the market square was not quite far away.

 

Taemin noticed the presence of soldiers in the tavern as he slowly ate his breakfast, senses focussed on the faint conversation he could hear on the table behind where Minho had taken a seat with his troop, dividing the town and his men for the pursuit.

 

Taemin lost focus after a while, pushing his bowl away and dragging the water tumbler closer, his eyes on the envelope that he was yet to pocket. He downed the water as he kept his gaze on it and once done, he immediately picked up the envelope, pulled the sheet from inside of it, and ripped it into two and crumpled it, discarding it into his used cutlery. He folded the envelope that now only contained Minho’s rings and tucked it in his coat's inner pocket. 

 

“Your Grace,” He heard a soldier address him, “We are ready to leave.”

 

Taemin turned, acknowledging the soldier’s words with a nod, his gaze finding Minho who was waiting at the door. Taemin rose and joined his side. They walked for a few minutes and the bland neighborhood began to slowly turn into a noisy bustle, hinting that the market was near. They reached and walked the path straight to the center of it from where they were to disperse. The soldiers dispersed as per Minho’s plan and only two remained with them. Minho began walking in their planned direction but Taemin halted him by tugging at his sleeve, making him turn back, puzzled. 

 

“I wish to proceed alone here on,” Taemin spoke, letting go of Minho’s sleeve. “And do not say it is dangerous.” He reached for Minho’s belt, taking his dagger, “I will keep this with me… for the peace of your mind.”

 

Minho was silent for a while before he gestured to one of his soldiers and looked back at Taemin, “Keep him as well.”

 

Taemin nodded and watched Minho proceed with the other soldier.

 

“From where do you wish to begin, Your Grace?” The soldier asked Taemin.

 

Taemin’s gaze did not leave Minho’s departing back as he answered, “From the pawnshop.”

 

 

 

The market square had only a few dwellings and was majorly filled with vendors that ran their business from tents and stalls. The dwellings belonged to bigger shops and merchants, to inns, guesthouses, and taverns. The tallest of them all was the library, in the yard of which children were being taught under the shade of a tree. The rest of the establishments were small offices of the regime that regulated trade and other laws in the town. There was a fountain in the middle of the square, which was supposed to be where they had to reunite at the end of the day. The pawnshop was one of the first shops in the square but since they had walked to the fountain first, Taemin had to walk back considerably to reach it. The pawnshop was in a dwelling, sharing space with a cloth merchant. The entrance to it was from the side as it occupied the upper landing.

 

The soldier waited at the door on Taemin’s request and he waded in, through the cluttered aisles of all kinds of old and dusty antiquities, covering his nose and mouth with a corner of his cloak as the dust began to tickle his nose. It was dimly lit and though there was no one around, his presence had been made known by the wind chime that had rung when he had pushed the door open. There were a series of glass counters lined against the back of the shop, there was a room behind the counters, perhaps that led into the storage or a private room. He approached one of the counters and blinked, finding all kinds of jewelry and smaller antiques arranged in the rows. He began checking them all through the glass, crouching down and checking every row before he moved on to the next counter and he was on his third when a voice interrupted him.

 

“How may I help you, Sir?”

 

Taemin rose, his gaze settling on the young man on the other side of the counters, who was smiling in amusement. Taemin looked to the remaining counters before he looked back, “I am searching for a ring that was pawned here a few hours ago.”

 

“Are you going to buy it back?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Hm,” The man began pulling out faded velvet trays that were filled with rings and other jewelry, “Are you sure? It may cost you more than what it was previously pawned for.”

 

“I am aware.” Taemin answered nonchalantly, “I understand how this business runs.” He turned his ring around on his finger and showed it to him, “It is a pair to this one.”

 

The man glanced at the ring for a few long moments before he pulled out a different tray and picked up a gold ring encrusted with emeralds, “Could it be this one?”

 

Taemin’s eyes stayed on the ring in the man’s hands, and his heart fell, seeing it glisten, seeing it in hands of another, in such a disarranged place… discarded. With every step he had taken towards the pawnbroker’s shop, he had wished he wouldn’t find it, wished that what he had seen had only been a misunderstanding… but here it was, cruelly proving his speculations right.

 

“Yes.” Taemin blinked, his voice soft in his dismay. He untied his small pouch of money from his belt and placed it on the counter.

 

The man picked the pouch up and shook it, “That won’t make it, Sir. It’s pure gold and emeralds are real, the craftsmanship is delicate and–”

 

Taemin undid his other rings, his series of earrings and dropped them in front of the man, “Now?”

 

The man's lips curved in an impish smile and he extended the emerald ring to Taemin, “All yours.”

 

Taemin gave him no more glance as he pocketed it and left the establishment, the soldier quietly following his trail as he stormed out, walking through the hubbub of the market towards the fountain. He sat down on the raised platform surrounding it, his view blurring with how tears brimmed his eyes. He pulled his hood down and lowered his head, letting them fall, breathing heavily as his whirling mind came to settle with his every breath.

 

Every moment he had spent in Minho’s presence returned to his mind. How he distanced himself on sensing Taemin’s hostility, yet how he did not respond with any of his own. How he treated him as an equal in every instance and aspect, how he cared for him despite how Taemin treated him with insolence and nonchalance, how he was observant enough and saw right through his useless pride, yet did not try to break it. How he did not greet him with anger that night despite catching on he once loved another. How he had set him free and how he was still stubbornly pursuing Taemin’s happiness, searching for Jongin. How he was gentle and patient despite how disrespectfully Taemin behaved in his anger, despite how many hurtful words he spewed. 

 

How he regarded his existence with such importance, even above his pride, his royal emblems. 

 

How it was no more a mystery the moment Taemin had felt his lips on his own, yielding yet taking control, that the chaos he was filled with, was requited. How Minho's gaze was ardent, reluctant after he had broken away. How he always concealed it afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter