Difference

A Matter of Messy Vows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
18 Difference  

Sharing a warm and sweet kiss with the cold and mean Minju was something Chaewon never imagined possible. But it was happening, inside Minju’s office too. The very place where their first impression of each other took an unexpected turn and now it seems like all strange things happen there. 

Since Chaewon is inexperienced, she’s both by how good of a kisser Minju is and how well Minju is leading their making-out session. The pressure of their plumpy lips and Minju’s fingers on her skin and hair is just right and she couldn’t ask for more. 

When Minju starts planting kisses on Chaewon’s neck, it made her toes curl and her hands automatically clawed Minju’s covered back. However, their loving moment is cut short when Chaewon hears a knock on the door. With a hefty gasp, Chaewon pries herself away from Minju and froze. She gawks toward the direction of the door while it takes two or three more knocks for Minju to realize someone was behind the wooden piece. 

Chaewon waits for Minju to answer it but the lass only heaves a sigh before reaching a hand up and around Chaewon’s nape. 

“Where were we?” 

As Minju leans in, Chaewon inches back and whisper, “Aren’t you going to get that?” 

Minju scoffs, “They’ll go away eventually.” 

Another knock. “Dr. Kim, it’s me, Ahn Yujin. Are you in there?” 

“Ahn Yujin?” Chaewon mumbles, meanwhile Minju rolls her eyes. 

“What does she want?” Minju removes her hand gently and strides three big steps toward the door. She unlocks it, turns the knob, then reveals the interior of the whole room to a Yujin in uniform. “What do you want?” Minju asks, roughly. Unlike her soft side a few seconds ago. 

“Can we—” Yujin trails off then her eyes drift over until they land on Chaewon. “You were here too, Kim Chaewon?” 

“Uh I—”

Minju doesn’t let Chaewon finish as she folds her arms across her chest and cuts in, “Do you have a problem with my soon-to-be-wife visiting me, Miss Ahn?” 

Chaewon grits her teeth. She so wishes she isn’t there to witness and hear whatever bad direction their conversation is heading. 

“You really won’t give me a chance?” Chaewon hears Yujin asks quietly. 

“Have I mentioned how much I hate repeating myself?” 

“...you have.” 

“Yet, here you. What are you trying to accomplish by showing up today?” 

For a long time, no one said a word. Only eyes were bouncing back and forth and all Chaewon wanted to do is hide. And somehow Minju sensed that so she urges Chaewon to leave the room for now but stick around while she talks to Yujin. 

In the lobby, Chaewon is both curious and afraid as to how their chat is going. Seeing how pushy Yujin is and how short temper Minju is, she assumes Minju would be much harder and uglier to Yujin than previously. However, for some reason, it’s justifiable. Was Chaewon siding with Minju because it’s logical or because she’s falling for Minju? 

“Hey,” a woman’s incoming voice suddenly prompts her to look up, and to her surprise and dismay, it’s Goeun. 

Chaewon clears as awkwardness sets in and Goeun helps herself to one of the seats over. Chaewon straightens her back and avoids Goeun’s gaze as the woman scrutinizes her expression and body language to the T. 

“I didn’t think I’d see you at the hospital again so soon. Is everything okay?” 

Chaewon hums. 

Goeun wears a bleak smile, “That’s a relief.” 

For a moment the room is dead silent. Even murmurings among patients, their guardians, and nurses cease to exist. As if everyone is waiting to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

“...yeah,” Chaewon says softly. 

“Hm, look Chaewon,” Goeun reaches out and places a hand over Chaewon’s, “I’m sorry that I never told you about Kriesha. It was one-sided on my part and you know how high school crushes go. The chances of ending up with your crush are slim. And when she switched school...after I confessed, I thought we’d never meet again. Surprisingly your dad helped her get into the same University and you know how that went…” 

Chaewon sighs, flipping her hand up from under Goeun’s so they could lock hands. “Sorry...even as your best friend, I must have missed the signs. I thought...I thought maybe you kept indirectly rejecting me because you were into boys.” 

Goeun chuckles a little. To Chaewon, they were always contagious and music to her ears. 

“No silly,” Goeun says quietly before scooting closer to Chaewon. “By the way, one of the nurses told me you came out of Dr. Kim’s office. Is it true?” 

Chaewon helplessly smiles then bobs her head shyly. 

“What’s that expression? Have you agreed to marry her?” 

Chaewon shrugs, “Still thinking about it.” 

“Well,” Goeun says before reaching around and pulling Chaewon into a hug, “I’m happy for you, bestie. And if you’ve moved on, I’d also like to ask if it’s okay if I start pursuing Kriesha.” 

Chaewon quickly breaks the hug as she grabs onto Goeun’s arm, “You mean all this time you’ve only been watching her from a distance because of me?” 

Goeun hums, “In case it hurt you and because I was afraid of losing you. I mean, you and your dad have done so much for me and the feeling of rejection doesn’t feel good. I wanted you to be happy before I find my own happiness.” 

“...and that is being with Kriesha?” 

“Yeah. You’ll be happy with Dr. Kim right?” 

Chaewon forms a thin line with her lips then nods shortly after. “Only if you promise me Kriesha will love you more than I do. I want you to be happy an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter