fin.

soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“what’s a soulmate?”

 

sana ponders the question. momo had asked it out of nowhere and she wondered where it came from but momo always asked bizarre questions.

 

"me and you. duh!" sana laughed as she bumped their shoulders together. "well yes but like what is a soulmate?" the other japanese asked. sana sat down her phone and faced her best friend. 

 

“it’s like a best friend but more. it’s the one person in the world who knows you better than anyone else.”

 

momo and sana were in the eighth grade when momo got in her first fight. the girl had been talking bad about sana and momo figured she'd be one horrible best friend if she let this continue. 

 

"yah, what the is your issue with sana?" she confronts the girl, anger burning in her eyes. sana was pulling on her arm, begging her to stop. "momo please. i'm okay," sana whispered and momo shook her head and glared at the girl.

 

"minatozaki can't fight her own battles? has to have her scrawny ugly friend do it for her?" the girl taunted and she wasn't quick enough to dodge the flying fist that was sent her way.

 

she fell to the floor, blood leaking out of her nose and tears falling from her eyes. sana eyes blown wide while momo's the absolute opposite, put into slits as she stares down sana's bully.

 

"this scrawny ugly friend just knocked your out. and i'll do it again if you ever say another word about or towards sana," momo spat before grabbing sana's hand and pulling her away from the scene.

 

"momo," sana mumbled but the older girl didn't answer, only continuing to pull her. her grip on sana's wrist was loose though, giving the girl the opportunity to pull away. she eventually linked their hands and interlaced their fingers.

 

"momo, stop," sana said and tugged on her best friend's hand. momo stopped in place and let sana step in front of her, meeting her eyes. 

 

"why'd you do that?" the younger japanese asked, linking their free hands together. thirteen year old momo stayed quiet, putting her head down. sana pouted at the silence she received and tugged momo's hand again.

 

"why?" she asked again and momo sniffled. "she was hurting you, sana. i knew she was hurting your feelings with the mean things she was saying. you pretended like you didn't care and to everyone else, it seemed like you didn't. but i'm your best friend. i know everything about you. i know you better than anyone else, satang. you didn't want me to hit her but when i did, i know you were happy."

 

“that someone who makes you a better person. no, actually they don’t make you a better person. you do that by yourself  because they inspire you.”

 

momo and sana were in the tenth grade when momo first broke her wrist from playing basketball.

 

"let's go momo, you got it!" a voice shouted through the crowd. momo turned from her spot on the court and spotted sana in the mix of people with a sign that reads "#5 on the court, #1 in my heart" and a shirt that says "momo's #1 fan!"

 

she smiles at her best friend, gives her a thumbs up and blows her a kiss. sana pretends to catch it puts it into , giving momo a sweet smile afterwards.

 

momo catches the ball and dibbles up the court. "shortstop! shortstop!" she calls out to her players as they get into position. she throws it the left wing before faking out and cutting in towards the basket. she catches the ball from her teammate and drives to the goal.

 

momo is then pushed hard from behind and lands on the floor, using her hands to break her fall. groans sound through the crowd as she hits the floor. she feels a sharp pain shoot through her left wrist and she immediately curls her left arm into her body as she yelps in pain. sana's heart drops as she pushes through the crowd and rushes to her best friend. 

 

"momo!" she calls out as she kneels down next to the girl. tears are flowing out of momo's eyes as she cradles her arm. "it hurts! it hurts!" she cries in her native language. the medical trainer then surrounds her, pushing sana back. 

 

"give her space," they say. momo is still crying as she sits up and lets the doctor inspect her wrist. she flinches at the lightest touch on her wrist, pain shooting through her arm every time.

 

"i think it's broken. let's get you to the hospital," one of them says. sana immediately rushes over and helps momo stand up, wrapping an arm around her neck. they're walking off the court until one of the players from the other team says something.

 

"serves you right, ," she says and laughs with her teammate. sana is quick to pull away and push the girl. "watch your ing mouth," she says before she's being pulled away. "leave it sana. it's useless," momo whispers in her ear. sana glares at the girl one last time before helping momo walk out of the gym. 

 

weeks later and momo's left wrist is wrapped in a red cast. she had broken it, as suspected, and was needed to be in a cast for eight weeks or more, depending on how fast she heals. 

 

she and sana were taking a walk down the street, fingers interlaced as they held hands. "i can't wait to get back on the court," momo says suddenly and sana looks down at her. "i know, momoring. you say it everyday," she laughs and knocks their heads together. 

 

"i know, i know. although, i am kind of scared. what if it isn't the same?" she asks and sana scoffs in di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter