Chapter 7

Knowing Joy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 7

○ Joy ○

Irene Unni left as soon as she finished eating breakfast to start the report she had to do for Uncle Suro. From what I heard from her last night, it seems like Uncle Suro have learned a lot about my past by having investigators behind my back.

I don’t know if I’ll be offended or not about it. But, instead of being negative, I just decided to think how Uncle Suro and Aunt Jessi treated me. If I were them, maybe, I’d also hire someone to investigate a stranger before I accept them in my house.

The mood has been quite gloomy since I was left at home alone. Hanbin still haven’t come back, and here I am, sitting by the living room getting swallowed by the silence of my surroundings.

Then, the chirping ringtone of my phone disrupted the silence I was just beginning to enjoy.

Grabbing my phone from the coffee table, I looked at the unexpected caller. It was Wendy, Irene unni’s cousin.

I sat back unto the couch and answered the call, “Hello? I didn’t expect to see you call.”

“Good Morning, Joy-ssi. I’m really sorry for the trouble, but I kind of need the favor you owe me now.”

“Um. Sure? Anything that I can do. Can I hear first though?” By the end of replying, feeling of nervousness erupted through me, hoping that it would be something I could do.

“It’s just. I need you to go to a blind date for me.”

“Blind date?” I laughed, not because it’s absurd, but because of surprise. I didn’t expect something like this to be the favor.

“Yes, I’d like you to pretend to be me. Well, I need you to reject the other person kindly. I’m not that good at talking, I swear.” Wendy rather stuttered as she explained.

I chuckled at Wendy’s response. I can imagine how she looks like even if we’re just talking over the phone.

“I can definitely see that by the way you talk.”

Wendy laughed with me, ease in our conversation becoming apparent. “So? Can you do it for me?”

The apartment door’s unlocking sound caught my attention then. Hanbin entered the room, with his coat in his hand. Throwing his keys –car keys, I suppose– unto the kitchen table on his way into the living room, he passed by me. “Good Morning.” He greeted before entering his bedroom.

“Please.” Wendy added, snapping me from the sight of Hanbin’s arrival.

“Sure sure, Wendy-ssi. When is the date supposed to be?”

“Um. Actually. Actually, it’s tonight, Joy. I’m so sorry for the abrupt request. Can you still do it? It’s in Seoul and I heard you’re in Busan.” Wendy sounded so apologetic. She doesn’t have to be though.

“No, it’s fine with me. Just message me about the details. I should be preparing now. I’ll call you again later.” I told Wendy before ending the call.

I never expected to find the perfect reason to go back to Seoul this quick. I needed to talk to Uncle Suro as soon as possible.

“And where are you going today?” Hanbin asked behind my back, surprising me again.

“Good morning, Hanbin-ssi.” I said as he walked around to sit on the other corner of the couch.

After turning on the television with the remote, he glanced at me. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“I’m going back to Seoul today.”

“Hmm. Why didn’t you tell me?” Hanbin sounded indifferent despite the ominous aura he’s radiating.

“I’m telling you now, aren’t I?”

“Then I’m coming with you.”Hanbin turned back to look at the channels he kept switching to.

“It’s just for today. I’m coming back tomorrow. You don’t have to come.”

“Yes, I am still coming with you.”

“What the hell Hanbin. I don’t need a guard to watch my every step.” I kind of raised my voice out of irritation. I didn’t mean to, but I just did.

Turning off the television, Hanbin finally turned his whole body to face me.

“You won’t get anything from Uncle Suro, Joy.”

“I already know he made a background check on me, alright. I don’t have to pretend anymore, Hanbin-ssi.”

“Oh really? Do you know of the people who’re looking for you in Seoul?” Hanbin asked me with confidence in his voice.

“What do you mean?” I frowned at what he was saying. People?

“I know everything Joy. From your reactions, I guess Uncle Suro didn’t say everything to Irene-ssi. So, if you want to know, don’t you dare make Uncle lose his trust on me.” Hanbin stood up crossing his arms as he looked down on me.

No. No one knows everything about me.

“Fine. Let’s talk about it tomorrow. I still need to go to Seoul.”

“Why are you so ing stubborn? There are people looking for you over there. Can’t you realize that that’s the reason why your father-like uncle sent you here?”

I stood up to face him, hating the way he was looking down at me. “Watch your words, Kim Hanbin-ssi. There’s still personal matters I have to do. I swear I won’t talk to Uncle Suro, okay?”

“Okay then. I’ll still go with you. Fix your stuff now. We’re going in ten minutes.” Hanbin said before turning, going back to his bedroom.

I sighed at the freaking stubborn of a man Hanbin is.

Finally arriving in Seoul, Hanbin insisted that we stay at his apartment saying that mine’s not safe. I’m slightly getting the idea for what’s happening but it can wait for later since Hanbin doesn’t seem to be going anywhere more than a few feet from me.

Wendy sent me the details of the blind date and Hanbin insisted on driving me to the place I was going. He didn’t even ask what I was about to do, he’s just persistent on not letting me out of his sight. With his personality, he’d make a great bodyguard for sure. 

On our way to the restaurant address Wendy sent me, I took a glance at Hanbin who’s totally focused driving, looking straight into the road.

“What is it?” Hanbin glanced at me for a second before turning back to face the road in front.

“I never got to say thank you.”

“You don’t have to, it’s my own decision.” Hanbin said in that cold demeanor of him, as always.

“Fine. Whatever you say.” I said as I straightened the fold that formed in my skirt.

I never got a reply from Hanbin. So, instead of just sitting about, I readied myself for the act I’m up for in just a few

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter