prologue

Look Ahead - CHANBAEK

I cover my ears with my hands as the siren pierces my eardrums. My legs pound in front of me fast and hard; my breaths get heavier and heavier.

"This is the government of the Republic of Korea. Everyone remain calm. This is not a drill. Proceed to the shelter in an orderly fashion. This is the government of the Republic of Korea. Everyone remain calm..." The voice on the speaker repeats over and over again. People are screaming, running, pushing, hurrying.

My whole body trembles in fear.

"Baek! Baek!" I stop and turn my head to make eye contact with my boyfriend before uncovering my ears.

"Yeol-ah!" I scream.

"Baek, go! Get to the shelter!"

There's a high pitched noise. I cover my ears once again.

"What about the hyungs?" I yell. My eyes burn and I squint to keep my vision focused.

"They're helping the others. Just go, Baek! I'm right behind you." The noise is getting higher; louder. "Hurry...GO!" I take off. The shelter is getting closer.

The noise is deafening. More screams. More people. More running. Large men in bright orange bodysuits help people through the shelter's entrance. I stop and close my eyes as adrenaline burns through my bloodstream. My heart pounds in my chest, my ears ring and scream, and I don't know what to do. I feel myself being pushed forward.

"Oh my God! Close the door, NOW! Hurry-" A man's voice yells from behind. The screams get louder. I open my eyes after a few seconds that felt like minutes. I am safe now, but people are pushing to get in; terror in their faces as the door starts to close.

"Chanyeol, what is going o-"

"Baek, get down!" Chanyeol screams. His eyes are wide as he jumps towards me.

Scream, scream, scream, scream.

BOOM