Sleep

Of Rapping Tofus and Singing Squirrels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once upon a time, in a faraway land surrounded by dogs and tofus, a king and queen ruled over a kingdom.  They were rich, they had everything anyone would have ever wanted but they were not happy for they had no child to bring life into their almost perfect lives.  One day, while the queen was strolling through the riverside, she sights upon a fish out of the waters. 

She felt pity for the poor being and with gentle hands, she took it and returned it to its home.  The fish, before it swam away, poked its head out and with its mouth said, "I know what you truly wish for, dear queen and it shall be granted to you,"

The queen did not know what it meant at first until she learns that she is with child.  A few months later, a beautiful, cute, and pale girl was born to them.   Her name was Dahyun-

"Just like eomma!" 

The lady smiled at the child and nods, "Yeah,"

Anyways, the king, in his tear-filled joy, felt like he needed to throw the biggest gathering to show his child to the land.  He sent letters to his neighbors and distant relatives informing them of the mirthful event.  Meanwhile, the queen said that if they were to throw a party for their little bundle of joy then she had to invite the fairies to bless her.  

On the day of the big celebration, twelve of the thirteen fairies of the kingdom were invited.  The last fairy was left out due to the fact that they only had twelve good golden plates for them to eat out of.  So they celebrated their hearts out until it came the time for the fairies to bless the child.  One gave her beauty, another gave her goodness, riches and many more until she had all that was good in the world.

Just as the eleventh fairy finished giving her blessing, the palace door's swung open, revealing a very much angry fairy.  She walked up to the royalties and scolded them for not inviting her.  As punishment, she went to the baby to take her revenge.

"In the eighteenth year of this girl's life, she shall be wounded by a spindle and die,"

"The story said it was only fifteen," the kid furrowed her brows, looking up to the storyteller who kept mum while smiling widely.

The twelfth fairy, who has not yet given her blessing, stepped forward and said that though she can not undo the evil wish of her fellow, she can soften its mischief.  Thus, it became that the princess would not die upon getting pricked but will only fall asleep for a hundred years.

The kid yawned and the storyteller softly pats the girl's head, "I am getting to the good part, I promise,"

"I already heard it a bunch of time mommy," the kid pouts, puffing out her pale baozi-like cheeks.  

"It is different this time," she says softly and the kid tilts her head.

Anyways, the king hoped to dodge the prophecy and he ordered that all spindles in the kingdom be thrown and burned.  All that while, the eleven fairies' gifts did come true as the princess grew up to be the charming young woman she is.  

"The book did not say she way charming mommy,"  the kid sat up from her bed and showed her mother the page.  'Beautiful and kind that everyone who knew her loved her'

I guess that is also true, she smiles, "Really? I guess it slipped my mind,"

On the day of her eighteenth birthday, just as the king and queen were out on their duties, the princess wandered off inside the castle until she sights upon the spiral staircase that leads up to the old tower at the south of the castle.  Feeling curious, the princess walked up the stairs and sees an old woman spinning away busily at the end.

The princess asks her what was she doing and the woman answered while humming to a tune, working harmoniously with the buzzing wheel of the spindle.

The princess is in awe of the object and says, "Oh how prettily does this thing turns around!" she takes the spindle and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter