her

her

Ever since childhood, Sana had always been by Momo’s side. She was always the first one Momo would tell her stories to. She was always there to listen no matter what it was about. Whether it’s about food, or about a cartoon, or even about idol groups which she had no idea about, Sana would always happily listen.

 

Even though their houses were far from each other’s, they’d still find a way to spend time together. Sometimes, Sana would spend the night at Momo’s, but most of the times, it was the other way around. Sana’s parents were fond of her too, that’s why they didn’t mind.

 

To Momo, there was never a boring day with Sana. She would always find herself dragged into her tactics. No matter what they did, it was guaranteed that they’d have fun. Whenever she was with her, she felt like she could do anything and everything.

                                                                                

That was why Hirai Momo had always liked her best friend Minatozaki Sana.

 

However, things changed when Myoui Mina came into the picture.

 

The black-haired pianist was the epitome of beauty. She was elegant, graceful, and alluring. She was artistic. Ballet was just one of her countless talents. She was smart too. She could get by difficult math tests with no sweat. She was kind and would not hesitate to help her friends.

 

The way her fingers moved flawlessly when she’s playing the piano was enough for anyone to hold their breath. Her voice alone was music to one’s ears. The way her body danced ever so gracefully wouldn’t allow anyone to blink even for just a second.

 

Although a little shy, she was the kind of girl anyone and everyone would immediately take a liking to.

 

She was unlike Momo who was a big eater- a gourmand. She was unlike Momo who was always having a hard time when it came to math tests. She was unlike Momo who only knew how to dance.

 

Everyone sure liked her, and of course, Sana was no exception.

 

When Momo noticed that Sana and Mina were becoming closer and closer each passing day, she couldn’t help but feel frustrated. She would often hear them talking about various things she had no idea about. Whenever she surprise-visited Sana, she would find Mina there. Sometimes on weekends, when Momo had her practice at the dance club, they would go out together without informing her. She would only know it through it their friends.


Despite those, Momo could never get mad at her.

 

She understood that it was never Mina’s fault that she was that beautiful. It wasn’t Mina’s fault that Sana liked spending time with her, nor was it her fault that they were neighbours. It wasn’t her fault that Momo always had dance practice on weekends. It wasn’t her fault that she was talent who was in human form. And it definitely wasn’t her fault she was so stunning and dazzling and attractive. She was just herself after all.

 

Instead, Momo got mad at herself.

 

She was mad at herself because she was a coward. She feared that their long friendship would come to an end once she confessed. With things as they were, she might be too late to tell Sana her feelings if she didn’t do it immediately.

 

And so, Momo mustered her courage to finally admit it to her.

 

It was on Friday afternoon, after class. She chose that day so if ever she got rejected, she wouldn’t have to see her the day after. She chose that day because Mina was absent. It might seem selfish, but she thought it was the perfect time.

 

She asked Sana to meet her at the school’s rooftop. She was still feeling nervous and all, but it was then or never. Fight or flight. And Momo never knew how to back down, thanks to Sana. So, she confessed. She told her all the feelings that she bottled up within herself for so long. She let it all out.

 

And then,

 

Hirai Momo was rejected.

 

The reason?

 

Mina.

 

Mina, Sana said. She didn’t give an explanation, but Momo didn’t need one. After all, she understood. She understood it all along and yet, she confessed. Maybe she just didn’t want to regret not telling her later.


And so, Momo ran home and left Sana alone at the rooftop. A stupid act, one would think, but still, she couldn’t look at her in the eye. She didn’t know what else she should do, so she ran.

 

She had always known it was Mina. She knew it all along and yet, she was hurt.

 

Maybe that’s just how love was.

 

Maybe she and Sana just weren’t for each other.

 

 


 

 

Momo smiled to herself as she remembered that faithful day while looking at her left hand.

 

“What are you smiling there for, Momoring?” Sana, who was sitting in front of her, asked.

 

Momo then looked up at her best friend and grinned. “You know, Sana-chan, I’m really glad you rejected me back then.”

 

Sana was confused for a moment before she caught a glimpse of the ring on Momo’s finger and she understood. She nodded and smiled at her, “I’m happy for you too.”

 

Hirai Momo beamed as she thought of the face of the black-haired pianist who would be welcoming her home that night.