A surprising change

Vivid memories

Our first meeting wasn’t that eventful. She was just a new trainee. I didn’t want to be too friendly to new comers just because I don’t want to be attached to them just to be sad when they leave the company or quit. That is something I learned from another trainee unnie who came to this company before me. Ironically, she too already left because the company decided to let her go.

“You are more enthusiastic these days, Heejin-ssi. It reflects in your dance. I like it.” Ms. Kim Hwayoung, our dance teacher commented.

“Oh, thank you.” I politely replied and bowed my head.

“Does it have something to do with the new trainee?” She asked with a playful smile on her face.

I blushed immediately. Oh no, did she notice that I was… always staring at Hyunjin?

The first time I saw her, I thought I’d show the new comer how hard I have trained so far. I got carried away and danced almost as if I’m seducing her when I caught her eye looking at me in the mirror. I face palmed myself in my head remembering that first incident.

“N-No teacher. I-I.. I was just-“

“Are you afraid she might do better than you?”

I sighed internally. For a moment there I thought she has caught me admiring Hyunjin weirdly.

“No, teacher. That’s not the case.” I answered honestly. “But seeing her do her best makes me want to do my best as well.”

“Glad to hear that.” She smiled at me and gave me a pat on my shoulder. “Let’s start from the beginning then.” She replayed the song and we danced from the start. Ms. Kim stopped midway when Hyunjin came in.

“Hyunjin-ah, ppalli wa (come quickly).” Ms. Kim called her who was watching us from the side.

Hyunjin. Hyunjin. I repeated her name in my head. Hyunjin... what a nice name.... For some reason I think that name suits her so well.

"If you have difficulty with anything, just ask Heejin”. I heard our dance instructor say and they both looked at me. I smiled a sheepishly. We haven’t actually interacted before, since my training has a different focus from hers. They taught her the basics first, which I heard, she exceled in. So this is the first time we’re interacting. I’m a bit nervous but I thought that this is an opportunity to get close to her. I don’t know what’s different from her that I want to be friends with her, maybe it’s because we're of the same age. Maybe.

"Ah, ottoke (what do I do)"

I watched Hyunjin from a distance sigh in frustration when she couldn't execute a move properly. I tried to gather up my courage and went up to her.

"Try standing on your toes when you're turning around, like this" I said, showing her how to execute the dance move as I have learned from Ms. Kim. I felt awkward a bit when I realized that Hyunjin was staring at me in the mirror.

"Now you try" I said, trying to shift her attention. Now it’s my time to stare at her. She nodded and did as I told her.

"That's better than doing it like this, isn't it?" I showed her what she was doing wrong before.

"Y-yes, thanks"

She’s a faster learner than I thought. I smiled like a proud mom at her fast improvement. Afterwards, I joined her in practice, pointing out her mistakes and helping her along the way. Now I get why BBC scouted her. Not only is she a fast learner but she’s also very athletic. She doesn’t tire easily. Of course, her visual is also hard to ignore. She’s just so… beautiful. She looks like an angel. After practice she bowed to me and thanked me for helping her out. It was my pleasure, really. When we bid each other goodbye, I knew I have made a new friend.