Remember Me

Remember Me

 

                Mina has been constantly looking at her watch for every second. She's feeling nervous for some reason. Sana seems to worry as to why her best friend's acting this way though. They are now on their classroom, sitting on their respective seats, waiting for their teacher to arrive and since they're seatmates the black swan's weird behavior didn't go unnoticed by the blonde.

                "Minari, what's wrong?" Sana asked softly.

                The younger girl on the other hand didn't seem to hear what her best friend just asked.

                "Mina?" the blonde tried again.

                It's like something snapped on Mina and then she finally turned to her best friend. "Uhm, what?"

                Sana grabbed the younger girl's hand and asked, "What's wrong?"

                The black swan looked at their hands and then shook her head. "Can you accompany me to the restroom?" 

                The blonde then nodded and they went out of the room. Sana is getting worried now, usually her best friend is so put together. It was so rare for her to see Mina like this. However, the latter seems to space out again. But when she looked up from looking at her feet, she saw two familiar figures. Mina then ran to their direction and ignored Sana shouting from behind.

                "Hey," she tapped Yoda and Dubu's shoulders. 

                The two almost jumped from shock when suddenly someone appeared from their back out of nowhere. Both of them exhaled heavily when they turn around and saw it was Mina.

                "Do you plan on giving us a heart attack?!" Dahyun exclaimed while still recovering from shock.

                Mina breathed heavily and said, "I'm sorry I just need to ask something."

                "What made you think we'll answer your question?" Tzuyu crossed her arms.

                "Is that how you actually treat a person in need?" someone barged in. They all looked at the owner of the voice and saw Sana approaching.

                Mina touched her best friend's shoulder and said, "Hey, that's okay." She then faced Yoda and Dubu. "Have you seen Chaeyoung?"

                Both of them frowned and she ignored the look her best friend just gave her.

                "Why? Do you have an evil plan in mind?" the tall maknae raised her eyebrow.

                Mina sighed. "No, but please do you know where she is?"

                Dahyun and Tzuyu looked at each other and the latter just shrugged. 

                "We don't know where she is but the last time we saw her it looks like she's searching for something." Dubu said.

                The black swan then remembered seeing the small girl earlier that day. Chaeyoung looks like in hurry. She couldn't even go near her because she lost sight of her when she was just about to. And then she remembered the ring...

                "Earth to Mina."

                Mina shook her head and looked at her best friend. Sana is giving her famous 'what-the-hell' look. 

                "Thank you so much," she said to Dahyun and Tzuyu and then she turned to her best friend and said, "I'll see you later."

                And then Mina left.

.   .   .

                Chaeyoung doesn't know how but her feet led her to the garden. She found herself sitting on the bench. She took a deep breath. No, she couldn't lose it. She couldn't give up. But her body is screaming for rest. She touched the finger where her ring has usually been. It feels bare. It feels empty.

                When she first found out the ring is missing she automatically panicked. She looked for it everywhere. She even looked at the place where the incident happened yesterday but no luck. She barely had sleep at all. 

                No, it was too prescious for her to just let it go. But maybe it's for the best though. It's been so long. Maybe this is the universe's way of telling her it's time to give up. That maybe it's time for her to let go of her first love.

                It was then when Chaeyoung felt something warm flowing on her cheeks. She must be numb, she didn't even know when she started crying. Tears started pouring down her face, slowly and then all at once.

                "There you are. I've been looking for you everywhere," a voice startled Chaeyoung on her thoughts.

                The small girl looked up and saw the only person that's been haunting her mind ever since. The smirk was gone off Mina's face instantly when she saw the small girl crying.

                "W-why are you crying?" Mina stuttered. 

                Chaeyoung shook her head and wiped the tears on her face.

                "I'm not. And why do you care anyways?" she said bitterly and stood up. She was just about to walk out when the older girl grabbed her hand and stopped her in her tracks.

                "I just wanted to give you back this," Mina said softly.

                Chaeyoung turned around and saw Mina holding her ring. She suddenly became furious and brushed the older girl's hand off her arm.

                "It's not mine," she spitted and walked away.

                The black swan tried to follow her and said, "But I know this is yours. I saw you wearing this ring everytime--"

                Chaeyoung turn around and yelled, "Well I don't freakin' need it anymore!"

                The black swan was taken aback. She was about to say something but instead decided to just shut up.

                The small girl clenched her fist. "I'm giving it back to it's rightful owner."

                Confusion was written all over Mina's face. She stared at the small girl's eyes and then sighed. 

                "Why do you hate me so much?"  

                "You didn't even have a freakin' clue. You know why? That's exactly the reason why," Chaeyoung spitted.

                Mina is getting pissed now. She's just being concerned here. She just wanted to give the small girl's ring back and this is what she got? Screw her conscience, she can't take this anymore. If this girl doesn't want help, then let her be! 

                Mina then turned to leave but stopped immediately when Chaeyoung started talking again.

                "That's it? You'll just gonna leave again? Just like what you did before?"

                That made her turn around. "What do you mean?" Mina asked.

                "How many times do you have to walk away from me?" the small girl asked sadly.

                Silence came afterwards. It's so funny how silence can be the loudest noise of all. Chaeyoung laughed bitterly. 

                "Do you wanna know why I hate you so much?" when the older girl didn't say anything, she continued. "I hate you for forgetting me."

                Tears started pouring down her face again. She had no idea this could be that painful. 

                "I hate you for leaving me. You don't have any idea how I felt. You don't have any idea how hurt I am when you left. And then you came back. You came back as if nothing happened. I hate you so much for coming back. I wish you never came back."

                Mina shook her head. "I-I don't understand."

                "You really won't understand because you don't remember anything," the young girl said. 

 

Flashback

 

                An 8-year old Chaeyoung is sitting on the swing alone. She looked at the children not too far away from her and sighed. She really do want to play with them but she can't because they can't understand her and she doesn't understand them either. A Korean girl like her doesn't fit in here in America.

                Chaeyoung looked at her feet and played with her hands. Her parents brought her on a business trip with them here in the U.S. and so here she is, secretly hoping she shouldn't even have agreed in the first place as if she had a choice after all. 

                "Hey there tiger onesie girl."

                The small girl looked up and saw a girl flashing her gummy smile. Chaeyoung looked from side to side and saw no one beside her. Is this girl talking to me?, she thought. Well, she's the only one wearing a tiger onesie here. But then she realized something.

                "Oh wait! Did you just talk to me in Korean??"

                The girl laughed at her and patted her head. "I think I just did." 

                "Are you Korean?" Chaeyoung asked and widened her eyes.

                The older girl then pinched her cheeks. "You're so cute. And no I'm not Korean, I'm actually a Japanese but I can speak and understand Korean."

                "Oh," young Chaeyoung was amused. "How did you find me?"

                The older girl sat on the swing beside her and replied, "I was watching you."

                The small girl didn't understand but she smiled widely anyway. "Cool. I'm Son Chaeyoung. What's your name?"

                The girl flashed her gummy smile once more and said, "Mina. I'm Myoui Mina."

.   .   .

                Young Chaeyoung didn't know her stay here in U.S. could be the highlight of her life. She totally regretted being here in the first place but when she met Mina, everything has changed. Mina is two years older than her and yet they were so close to each other.

                Mina and Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung and Mina. It's always been the two. They were pretty inseparable. They enjoy doing everything even just the two of them. They would laugh on silly jokes and make funny jokes about each other. There were never a dull moment when they're together. People may refer to them as best friends but for them it's more than that. For Chaeyoung, this is what happiness feels like.

                Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Mina has been living with her parents in U.S. for ten years and so her parents decided it's time for them to go home to their native land, which is Japan. It must have been the saddest day of Chaeyoung's life when Mina spilled the news to her.

                 "We're not going to stay here anyways, sooner or later we'll be heading back to Korea," Chaeyoung replied sadly.

                "Hey, Chaeng don't be sad," Mina said and pulled the young girl and gave her an embrace.

                The younger girl hugged her unnie back. "I'm going to miss you."

                "I know. I'm going to miss you too."

                Chaeyoung buried her head on the older girl's neck. She's going to miss her so much. She's going to miss her scent. She's going to miss her Minari.

                Mina pulled out from the hug and took off her ring. "Here take this," she said and give the ring to Chaeyoung.

                The small girl hesitated. "But this is yours."

                Mina grabbed Chaeyoung's hand and puts the ring on her finger. Mina smiled. The ring easily fit on her finger. "When you miss me or when you're feeling down just look at this ring and you'll feel better."

                Chaeyoung pulled Mina once more in a hug and whispered, "Always remember me."

                The black swan smiled. "I will. I promise."

                It was the last time Chaeyoung met her penguin. Chaeyoung might be too young but she knew all too well. Mina isn't just her best friend. She's her first love.

 

 

                Mina bowed her head and sighed. "I always knew there's something missing."

                Another drop fell from Chaeyoung's eyes.

                "When I saw you here in Seoul I thought you came back to find me," she laughed bitterly. "I was supposed to forgive you then for not keeping in touch with me but then I found out that the airplane you were riding on your way back home to Japan crushed and you had an amnesia."

                This is all news to Mina. She always thought everything is just a blur in her head. She just didn't understand why her parents kept this from her though. She looked at Chaeyoung and reached for her.

                "I'm sorry Chaeyoung. I'm really sorry." The older girl then pulled her in a tight hug. The small girl stiffened at first but eventually relaxed from the familiar touch.

                Chaeyoung always thought pain is a bearable thing. Besides, she's so accustomed to it that she forgot how it felt. But this must be the most painful thing she ever felt. And she's wrong, it's unbearable. So she cried. She cried and cried until there's no more tears left to shed. She cried and cried until the pain already numbed her soul. She cried and cried until she let it all out.

                "I'm so sorry," Mina once said and tightened her grip on the small girl. The latter hold on to her penguin as if her life depended on it. She held on and she's not willing to let go anymore. If this is what pain feels like, then she's willing to accept it hell even embrace it. If this is how she can bring back what was hers again then she's willing to do anything.

                Mina hates Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung hates Mina. Or so they thought. Chaeyoung hates Mina for forgetting her. Mina may not remember everything from the past but Chaeyoung is willing to forgive her. Chaeyoung is willing to give her new and even happier memories. Isn't it what people do when they love someone? They are willing to forgive them no matter what. 

                "I promise, I will always remember you from now on."

 

El fin.

 


A/N: Okay so I was really hoping someone would already guess the plot of the story and someone did haha. I was giving hints before and I think the title says it all :)

So that's it I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I loved writing it. I don't know if I'll be able to write more since school starts tomorrow but I definitely do have more ideas in mind ;) Should I write more MiChaeng fan fics or rather which Twice otp should I write next?

By the way, thank you so much for subscribing to this story it really means a lot! Bye for now :)

(P.S. Sorry for the late update I was about to update earlier than planned but I'm so busy celebrating for #TWICE8thWin #CheerUp8thWin #TWICE2ndTripleCrown on their goodbye stage at Inkigayo today. :D)