9699

Substance

 

My trip to the grocery store was uneventful, but as I to my street I noticed the police cars surrounding my apartment complex. There was Sana in handcuffs being dragged out by two police officers that I immediately recognized: Jihyo and my brother Jungyeon. She was smiling like she had no idea of what kind of situation she was in right now. A slew of other officers trailed behind carrying large bags of , weed, any kind of drug you could name. Sana was the friendly neighborhood drug dealer that we all knew about, but kept hush hush. I avoided her at first because when your brother is a cop you tend to avoid any sort of trouble. I couldn't steer clear of her forever unfortunately - ( or fortunately?). My best friend Dahyun had introduced us one day and as much as I hate to admit, from that day forward I couldn't stay away.

 

Instead of studying like the straight A student I was supposed to be, I was in her apartment. Witnessing the criminal mastermind herself, setting people up to be drug mules in foreign countries. I saw just about every kind of drug deal you could imagine. Why? Well, after not too long we sort of became a thing? It was a love at first sight feeling? She'd spoil me with anything that I ever wanted and for someone who grew up poor it was magnificent. The summer nights we spent making out on her couch would always be burned into the back of my mind.

 

I can't believe you were the one behind this! What were you thinking!?” Jihyo practically snarled down the offender's throat. I pretty much felt bad for her at this point, because who wants to get on the police captain's bad side? Despite being a drug lord, Sana was actually a good member of our community. She was the first to donate to schools, charities, held bake sales for good causes, you name it. She had built up quite a good rapport with the local police because of it. I often wondered if it was because she was genuinely a good person or she was trying hard to create an image just in case this had happened.

 

Obviously, she wasn't thinking.” Jungyeon retorted, clearly disappointed as well. I never had the guts to tell her about Sana and I either. If she knew now-

 

It was either this or sell my body! Good choice huh?” Sana's laugh permeated the air, cheerful as ever. That laugh that always gave me butterflies every time without fail. Our eyes met, she seemed apologetic towards me what with that smile. That same smile she'd give to all her clients when dealing with them. A smile that indicated she was guilty. That was what always lead me to believe she really wasn't bad at all. She mouthed: I love you Chaeyoung. I bit my lip as she was shoved into the police car. Her gaze never leaving mine.

 

When the car drove off, my heart ached more than I wanted. I'd probably never see her again especially with all that evidence they found. She was sure to get life in prison or the death sentence. It's not like I could tell anyone either. I'd have to suffer in silence.

 

Time passed in a blink of an eye. It had been years already and Minatozaki Sana still seeped into my mind occasionally. I never asked Jungyeon what her sentence was. I didn't want to know. A tall girl named Tzuyu moved in to Sana's apartment after everything settled down. The messed up part? They were business partners. I was unsure if the illegal dealings continued to go down in that apartment or not. I was unwilling to lose someone to a life of crime again.

 

That was until one day when I was home alone, there was a knock on my door. I half expected it to be Dahyun. When the door flung open it definitely wasn't her.

 

Hey! Remember me?” That chipper voice. Sana. No questions asked, my arms went around without any hesitation. The air was completely silent as we just held each other like that for several moments. Her kisses came and went over different patches of my skin as I shivered.

 

How....did you get out?” My face buried in the crook of her neck by now and she simply laughed like she had always done. A warm feeling overcame me just from hearing such a sound once more.

 

I escaped of course! I got help from this awesome girl named Momo. She's actually downstairs in our get away car right now. We're going to Brazil! I was hoping you'd wanna come?” Why was I even surprised? It was stupid. It was impulsive, but I agreed. Living my life as a college student who did nothing but stay up all night studying was getting old fast anyways. Sorry Jungyeon, let me have this one thing. I shoved anything I could that seemed into a suitcase before joining the two into the rusty old truck in the front. The driver had blonde hair and was smoking a cigarette. The car's interior was basically trashed. I cringed when she was blasting country music.

 

About time! Is this the girl you talked about all day long?” The stranger was eyeing me suspiciously as I took a seat next to Sana in the back. Her arms slinging around my shoulder, kissing my head repeatedly. The butterflies from so long ago were flourishing again and I couldn't be happier.

 

Yeah! My girlfriend Chaeyoung. My strawberry princess! She can cook, rap, sing, draw, graffiti-” Wow, how long had it been since she called me her girlfriend? At least three years? Nostalgia! Sana would always say that exact same line any time she was doing business with someone who was even the tiniest bit weary of my presence in the room.

 

I've heard it over ten thousand times already Sana. Shut up!” I was almost sure that Momo had eye rolled to that statement. I could imagine those two sharing a cell in jail talking about this same subject multiple times a day. That was when I sort of felt sorry for her.

 

Is this what you've been doing all these years? What are we going to do in Brazil?” I pulled Sana down for a kiss on the lips, missing her affections way too much. Her beauty had changed a bit, kind of suspicious really.

 

I wanna go for the Olympics!” Sana chimed in with her usual childish answer. I felt like I was back in her apartment with her like all of those times before. It felt like nothing had changed which was the best feeling in the world.

 

The usual. The drug business is huge there.” Momo answered sternly. I wasn't the least bit surprised. I was tentative about this, the emotions showing up on my face shortly after. Sana could see my concern, pinching my cheek to snap me out of any negative thoughts.

 

Yeah! I'm going to open a business for you though Chaengi. I don't want you get in trouble.” A back up plan was always good and I fully believed her. That was when she started to go into detail about how they escaped prison using only a plastic spoon. It was actually pretty impressive. Sana then proceeded to show off her home made tattoo on her hip that said Chaeyoung. I wasn't sure if I was flattered or turned off. She said it was the only way to appear tough and bad- in prison. Right. The drive to the airport lasted forever. What comes next is a story of fake ids, passports, and all kinds of other illegal activities. That is a story for next time unfortunately or fortunately.