Chapter Seven - White-patched Skipper

Butterfly
Please log in to read the full chapter

White-patched Skipper

Chiomara Asychis
 

 

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?” Nabi frowns, afraid that Jungkook is silently judging her outfit.


Please don’t tell me he’s still not over that sloppy confession I made last night.


“Hello?”

Nabi waves a hand in front of Jungkook’s zoning face.

“Oh!”

Jungkook finally snaps back to reality, immediately standing up to approach Nabi.

“Are you okay?”

“Y-yeah. I’m sorry I was just—you. . . you look really stunning!”

Trying to find the right words, Jungkook tensely explains and comments as he rubbed his hands together.

“Y-you look nice too,” Nabi stutters, surprised and flattered by Jungkook’s remarks.

“So~” Jungkook awkwardly scratches his neck, “let’s go?”

Nabi reluctantly nods, “Alright!”

For a moment, they look at each other, plainly admiring their presence, until they burst into giggles. Flustered, the two briefly cover up their blushing faces against each other with fake chuckling.


“Sh-should we hold hands?” Jungkook suggests as they walk to a crowd filled with couples.

Nabi snickers as she watches the couples walking by, “I don’t know! Should we be really doing that?”

“Well, I don’t think we’re going to lose anything if we’re to be a couple just for this day,” Jungkook laughs back, continuing the walk with Nabi.

Nabi pauses as she looks at Jungkook, making sure he is serious.

“Okay, just for this day!” Nabi shrugs, hesitant to make the first move.

Just then, after a moment of closing her eyes, Nabi grabs Jungkook’s hand. . .

 

(Now Playing: Just One Day - Bangtan Sonyeondan)

 

Together, they run through the crowd with Nabi’s hand over Jungkook’s. It all felt like slow motion—the buzzing noise, heat, and every nuisance around them turned magical—just Jungkook and Nabi.

 

They first ran to the carousel, excited to ride the colorful unicorns. Jungkook pulls out a mini camera with him, ready to take snaps throughout their date together.

“Wow! A camera?”

Jungkook nods with a warm smile as he holds the camera up proudly, “Yes, a camera.”

The two pick their favorite unicorns and happily ride them. Albeit the carousel not being an extreme ride, the two have enjoyed the brief experience, especially the part where they took pictures of each other.


“Ooh~ Let’s go to the roller coaster!” Jungkook excitedly suggests the moment he hears the screaming just above them.

Nabi nervously bites her lip, “Uhh. . . there?”

“Uh huh. What’s the matter? Don’t you want to try?” Jungkook looks at her with a worried face and, at the same time, is disappointed that they might not be able to experience the roller coaster ride.

“What are you waiting for? Let’s go!” Nabi forces an enthusiastic smile, faking a courageous walk as she holds Jungkook’s hand.


“Nabi-ah?” Jungkook asks with a concerned tone in his voice, noticing how Nabi sweats with her eyes tightly closed.

“You good?”

“Hm?” Nabi asks, eyes still closed.

“I thought you’re challenging me last night about the rides,” Jungkook playfully teases.

Nabi then tries to act unfazed, “Are you assuming that I’m scared of these rides?”

“Not at all.”

Jungkook smirks as the sound signals that the ride is about to begin; Nabi closes her eyes again.


Nabi, once more, tries to act brave by keeping shut but eventually gives in and screams her lungs out. Jungkook laughs out loud until they enter the dark area—he also screams out loud. Not because he was scared, but because Nabi unknowingly has squeezed something between his legs.

“Oh my God! I’m so sorry, Jungkook!” Nabi takes a break from screaming when she realizes what she has done as soon as they returned to the open field.

Jungkook reassures her with an awkward smile, “I-I’m okay!”

 

A minute has already passed, and it seems like Nabi is about to throw up.

“I-I don’t think I can do this anymore,” Nabi whispers, exhausted by all the screaming she did for a minute.

Nabi feels a hand holding her, “D-don’t worry, I’m here,” Jungkook whispers back, again comforting her despite the pain he feels.


After a few more twists and turns, the ride ends. Everyone unbuckles their seatbelts. Jungkook carefully assists Nabi out of her seat and into the platform.

“Let’s take a break,” Jungkook suggests after seeing how Nabi’s legs wobble together with her shaky hands.


“You could’ve told me earlier that you’re scared of extreme rides.”

Nabi scoffs, “Well, it would be dumb for me to back down on a challenge.”

“Challenge? You don’t have to prove anything, Nabi,” Jungkook lets out a hearty laugh, “we’re here to have fun!”

Jungkook and Nabi sit down near a corndog stall, enjoying a break with their snacks and drinks.

“I uh. . . I’ve never been into an amusement park,” Nabi shares with a heavy sigh.

Jungkook chokes on his drink, “Eh? Really?”

Nabi nods with a faint smile.

“No wonder you seemed too excited,” Jungkook raises an eyebrow, scratching his chin, “But why have you never been into—"

Jungkook was about to ask something again but quickly holds back with a forced smirk, “You

Please log in to read the full chapter