CHAPTER 2

Chances are...

"So... how was your night?" Naeun's mom asked as Naeun entered their house, her eyes flicking up from the television.

"Oh God, you're still awake umma?" Naeun chuckled as she sat beside her mom, resting her head on her mom's lap. "His perfect umma! I don't know... but I feel real fuzzy with him..." she ranted as she tried to imagine him in her head.

"You say that to everyone you meet..." her mom said, her fingers gently combing through Naeun's hair. "I don't want you to get hurt again, baby..." she added, a note of worry creeping into her voice. "Just... be careful okay?"

Naeun smiled and hugged her mom. "Yes, mommy..."


"You're beautiful, you know that right?" Dannie told her. Naeun knew her best friend noticed her previous bad experiences with guys, and it was a relief knowing she was looking out for her. It's true though; she looks like an angel, with black flowing hair, a bit chubby on the cheeks, soft and chinky eyes, a perfectly curved body, and milky white skin. "I don't know why, but, you are really pretty, yet you dress like a hippie..." Dannie sneered as they walked in the school corridors. "You've moved to Japan for a very... long... time... and you come back wearing that?"

"Lah... what's wrong with my outfit?" Naeun asked as she twirled. She was wearing a pink and white, frilly dress that came down only above her knees, pink sneakers to match her dress, and topped with a pink and violet bonnet. "It's pretty!"

"Don't tell me that you're going skateboarding this afternoon again?" Dannie asked with a sigh.

"Why'd ya' think that I would wear my frilly dress and sneakers?" Naeun said with a giggle.

Dannie only sighed in defeat as they walked out of the campus. "So did you like your new friend last night?" Dannie asked with a playful smile.

"Yeah... I did," Naeun answered vaguely.

"So...?" Dannie asked back.

"So... what?" Naeun asked with a chuckle.

"Don't leave me hanging! That guy was a cutie!" she said, getting all excited as they went off the campus.

"Well... he was really ama-..." Naeun stopped dead on her tracks, stunned as he saw the boy outside, she bit her lowerlip and felt blood rushing to her face "t-th-there he is..." Naeun pulled Dannie towards the campus gate, hiding from site and earning a few queer stares. "Why is he here? l-lah-- what is he doing here?" Naeun asked as she hid behind the taller girl's back.

"Wait... wa-? who?" Dannie furrowed his brows as he searched for the boy "Him? oh... damn, HIM!" Dannie said in surprise "d-damn... a real jaw-dropper Eun, I didn't see him well last night, and ey he looks damn fine." She said checking the white-haired boy out. "What are you waiting for? Go to him then!" she said with a playful chuckle, still looking at the guy.

"B-b-but... unnie, I'm nervous..." she answered back, stuttering at her words. "I'll go to him then!" Dannie replied with a playful smile.


Taemin leaned against his car, his brow furrowed in concern. "Where is she?" he murmured to himself, pulling out his phone to send a quick text to Kai: Dude, is this the right place?

Almost instantly, his phone vibrated with a response from Kai, pulsing with impatience: YES! DAMN IT!

Taemin's fingers flew over the screen, But she ain't showing up...

The reply was swift, tinged with exasperation: Dear lord HYUNG, I THINK I KNOW MY SCHOOL! I'M IN CLASS!

Sighing, Taemin tied his hair back and scanned the crowd. His attention was captured by a tall brunette walking toward him. "Excuse me... weren’t you the girl from last night?" he asked as she approached. "By any chance, do you know where Naeun is?"

Dannie smiled gently. "Oh, yes. Were you supposed to meet up with her?"

"Uh, actually... no," Taemin replied, his voice tightening slightly. "I just wanted to see her, and she wasn't answering her phone."

Dannie's eyes danced with mischief as she gave him a thorough once-over. "Wait here, hot stuff," she chuckled, then turned to retrieve Naeun. "Don’t be nervous, Eun, you're effin' gorgeous!" she called out, encouraging her friend before pushing her gently toward Taemin. "Here she is!"

"H-hi," Naeun stuttered, her cheeks coloring.

"Are your classes done? Can I ask you out for lunch?" Taemin asked, offering a gentle, disarming smile.

"Oh, she would love to!" Dannie answered quickly before Naeun could respond, her laughter ringing out as she added, "And don’t forget to bring her to the board park!" With that, she waved and departed, leaving a slightly flustered Naeun behind.

Taemin chuckled, his gaze softening. "I like your friend; no wonder she hangs out with Kai... So, do you skateboard?" he asked as they walked toward his car.

Naeun nodded, a smile brightening her face. "Yeah, when I was ten my mom taught me!"

They got into the car, and Taemin started the engine. "So, Kai is your cousin, right?"

"Yeah... a distant one. He's from another planet," Naeun joked, her eyes twinkling as they pulled away from the curb. "How about you? How did you meet Jongie?"

"Ahh, Kai is a childhood friend. We grew up together in Suncheon before my family moved to Seoul. Turns out they own that big house where we met."

"Oh... Suncheon? I've been there before, a long, long time ago."

"Really?" Taemin shifted the topic as he navigated the road. "Where do you want to eat?"

Naeun paused, a shy smile playing on her lips. "Uhm... anywhere you like..."

She observed him: brown eyes, high cheekbones, a soft gaze. She felt unexpectedly at ease, which made her chuckle softly. Taemin glanced at her, puzzled.

"What is it? Is there something on my face?" he asked, focusing back on the road.

"No, nothing," she reassured him, turning back to the window. "I just remembered something funny..."