Chapter 1

Blind Steps (Please Look Back)

 

Seulgi

 

 

*Sigh 

 

 


"Umma, how could you do this to me? It's raining so hard but you still made me buy the groceries. Hmp." I mumbled to myself while walking as I try to grip the plastic bags of groceries on my left hand and holding the umbrella on my right. This is really hard. I'm already wet because of the rain. And it doesn't really help that it's night. Not at all. Tsk.  As I keep walking, I saw a man passed out, I think, beside the lamp post outside our house. I walked faster to help him. 

 

 


Eh? What is this guy doing here wearing a suit? 

 

 

 

"Umma! Appa! Help!" I shouted as dropped the groceries and grab his shoulders. He looks drunk. Like very drunk. Umma and Appa came out holding an umbrella.

 

 


"Omo, what happened?!" Appa helped me carry him while Umma get the groceries I dropped. We came inside as fast as we can. I hurriedly run towards the bathroom and get towels for all of us. I handed these to them and get myself dried, too. I went to my room and get changed. When I go back, Appa and the passed out guy are gone. Where are they?

 

 

 

"Your Appa brought him to the guest room. Chaging his wet clothes to dry ones. What happened to that guy? You know him?" my mother asked. I looked at her and shaking my head.

 

 

 

"Aniya, I just saw him outside the house." I said. "I'll go check up on him upstairs." I told my mom and went upstairs to see the guy on the bed, sleeping. I looked around and saw my dad arranging their wet clothes. He looked up at me. "Seulgi-ah, stay here for a while, neh? So when he wakes up he will not freak out. I'll just bring these to the washer downstairs." I nodded and he continued to exit the room. I returned my gaze to the guy again?

    

 

 

Seriously, what is he doing here on our neighborhood? He doesn't look like he lives here. Besides, this is the first time I've seen him here. 

 

 

 

I walk slowly and look at his face closely.  For a drunk guy, he's definitely handsome. And he looks like those people who work on high-class offices, you know. Like my Appa. As I keep on looking at him, I noticed that he has a handsome face. 

 

 

 

What am I thinking? Tsk. I should go back and rest now. I have school tomorrow. Before I close the door, I took another glance to the guy who is sleeping and smiled.

 

 

 

"Goodnight"

 

 

 

Jongin

 

 

I felt the warm rays of the sun caressing my face. I slowly opened my eyes and frowned. My head is aching. 

 

 

 

Where the hell am I? I am sure this not my room. Too girly for my taste. Tsk. And then I realized that...... 

 

 

 

I was not even in my own house!

 

 

 

I immediately stood up and ran downstairs. There I saw a beautiful middle-aged woman. It's like she's preparing for breakfast. I cleared my throat and she looked at me, smiling.

 

 

 

"Good morning. I'm sure you're tired. Based on your state last night. Come on, eat your breakfast so you can regain your strenght. And I also prepare soup for the hangover." she said while bringing me to the table. I sat there, still confused. 

 

 

 

"What happened to me last night? How did I get in here?" I asked her. 

 

 

 

"Ah, my daughter came from buying groceries and found you passed out outside our house. She told me you looked very drunk. Then she shouted for us to help her bring you inside. It's raining last night so I'm sure you're still not feeling well. That's why I prepared a healthy breakfast for you and also some vitamins." she smiled at me. I nodded and looked around. It's so quiet in here. I looked at her again.

 

 

 

"Where are the others? Your daughter?" 

 

 

 

She smiled at me," Seulgi is in school. She went early because she said that there's a lot to do at school. Seulgi's the one who told me to make a healthy breakfast. She's such a caring child. Worrying about little things. It's a shame you didn't get to meet her personally. She's a beauty. My husband already left, too. I'm alone here most of the time." she chuckled and looked at me then chuckled again. "I keep talking here and I just remembered that I don't even know your name, what's your name child?"

 

 

 

I smiled a little at her, "My name is Kim Jongin." 

 

 

 

She looked at me with wide eyes. Does she know me? 

 

 

 

"Kim Jongin? Ahh, Kim Youngmin's son. He's training you for business already? That guy, still not changing." she said while chuckling. " I know your father for years. We're college friends. You're dad is a smarty-." I chuckled. It's my first time hearing someone calling my dad like that.

 

 

 

 "Ah yes, I'm training for the company now. But I'm still a student in college. My Dad thought that's it's better that I learn early." she chuckled while shaking her and murmered something like, "pabo Youngmin..."

 

 

 

"Eat up, Jongin. My Seulgi will get mad at me if she knew that you didn't eat the breakfast. She will think that I didn't prepare anything for you." she smiled at me. I started to eat the food. Ah, it's good. Home made foods are always the best. When I was done eating, I immediately change my clothes with my old ones. Mrs. Kang said I could just return the clothes they let me borrow. 

 

 

 

I bid my goodbye to her, not forgetting to say thank you for breakfast and ask her to pass it to her daughter who helped my last night. But I know I still had to thank her personally. While driving, I just remembered what actually happened last night. I can still fell the pain in my heart. 

 

 

 

How can she do that to me? Am I not enough? I gave everything I could give to make her happy. 

 

 

 

I sighed. I better forget that soon. It will just lead me to nothing. 

 

 

 

I went home and changed into my uniform then drive to school. I arrived thirty minutes before my first class so I think I'm early. I called my friends to meet me at the cafeteria. While walking, I didn't notice someone walking in my direction that we barged into each other making her food go into waste. Omo.

 

 

 

"I'm sorry. Really sorry. I'll just replace the food. Sorry." I said to the person. I looked up and saw that it was a girl. 

 

 

 

"It's fine. I'll just buy another one, though. No need to treat me." she said while quietly drying her shirt. She looked at me and smiled. 

 

 

 

"I'll just treat you next time, then. I don't want the feeling of being in debted to someone. What's your name?" I said. She smiled again and answered me,

 

 

 

"I'm Wendy."