003

Untold Scars

 “Hey,” somebody calls me as I can feel a presence beside me while I’m sitting on the couch, watching the TV.

I look up to my left to see my handsome brother, Jungkook looking at me with his perfect smile. I return the smile back before continue watching my favourite reality programme, The Return of Superman.

“You know, noona,” Jungkook starts the conversation as he digs his fingers into the large bowl of popcorns I have prepared on the coffee table, trying to search for big ones. “I heard about a new student entering our school today.”

“Yeah,” I reply shortly without taking my eyes off of the TV. The triple twins are so damn cute. I just wish I’ll have cute little kids like them in the futute. Snap it off, Jeon Sohyun! It’s a long way to go. I mentally chuckle as the thought comes into my mind.

“And I heard that he’s not from our country,” Jungkook says, chewing his popcorns scrumptiously.

“Yes, he’s not,” I nod at his words. “He’s a Tokyo student.” I enlighten him.

Jungkook seems to be astonished by that because I can see his face expression changing into wow-this-is-amazing one.

“He must be excellent then.”

My head instantly makes a turn to my brother after I hear what he says. “Why?”

Shrugging, Jungkook answers, “Because Tokyo students happen to be genius in Asia. I’m saying matter-of-fact.”

Thinking sensibly at his remarks, I cannot agree more. So, is Kento really a genius then? I start thinking, my memory goes back to where I met Kento at the cafeteria, then to the class, ends at where he looked away after the last time our eyes met. Ugh! Mentally facepalming myself, I close my eyes tightly to chase the embarrassment away. God, so embarrassing.

“But noona─” Jungkook totally turns his body from facing the TV to facing me beside him, causing me to react as I do the same. “─seriously, what kind of luck do you have in your class?”

I frown, not getting my brother’s point in his unclear question. My eyes narrow at him, asking him to explain further.

“Well. You see, you’ve been having Peniel as a transfer student from Canada since like two years ago─”

“It’s actually three,” I cut him off, just to correct him.

“Yeah, like three years ago and now a Tokyo student. Believe me or not, but I would kill somebody just to have a foreign student in my class─probably kill twice─to have one as my friend,” Jungkook blurts out, making me frightened a bit at his words.

“So… the reality is that I have two foreign students in my class for now and Peniel somehow turns out to be my friend and Sungjae’s bestfriend. So would you kill me or both of us just to have Peniel and Kento as your classmates and friends?” I ask him as my face shows an I-can’t-believe-this kind of expression.

Jungkook quickly waves his hands in the air, denying it. “Aish no! Seriously, noona! How can I kill you and Sungjae *hyung who are ones of the best things in my life?”

Seeing how Jungkook retorts to deny that he would kill me and Sungjae just because of that kind of ridiculous reason, my lips form a smirk. I know my brother isn’t a bad person. He was just joking from the first place anyway. I don’t know. I just like to know what he thinks of me and Sungjae and how much we meant for him. Owww that is so sweet of me. I know. Thank you.

“But if you were not my sister, then sorry because I might have killed you─and Sungjae hyung.”

I snap. “Yah!”

“No! Probably just you. I’d be glad if hyung was my brother. Trust me, we two would make great siblings than─you know, us like─”

“Yah Jeon Jungkook this little brat!”

Jungkook doesn’t wait any longer to run away from me with a small pillow in his hands when I shout his name out loud. Giggling so happily (and teasefully), he throws the small pillow right to my face.

 


*older brother/male called by younger brother/male


 

It is already 3 o’clock in the morning when Kento wakes up from his dreamless sleep. He slowly opens his puffy eyes. His throat feels dry as well as his lips, asking him to drink plain water. Still feeling a lot sleepy, he tries to get up from lying on the bed and his feet are now planted down on the floor, quickly standing up from the single bed.

Kento makes fast walks toward the kitchen but his steps gets slower when he hears sounds coming from the kitchen. He definitely knows that someone was there on the kitchen lights can be seen from the living room. Standing in front of the kitchen doorway, he stares at the back of the person who is pouring water into a mug without the awareness of his presence. It is his uncle, Shigeki.

“Kento?” Shigeki frowns after he hears Kento clearing throat, quickly turning his back to see Kento standing near the dining table. When Kento gives a small smile, he raises an eyebrow. “What are you doing here─at 3 o’clock in the morning?” he asks oddly.

As usual, Kento doesn’t answer his uncle’s question. Instead, he heads to the man’s side to take a glass from the cabinet and pour plain water into the glass. Not turning to his uncle though he is conscious about being stared by that man, he brings the glass to his mouth and swigs the water in three gulps. As soon as the glass is empty, he brings it to the sink and rinses it before placing it back onto the cabinet.

“Kento,” Shigeki, Kento’s uncle calls softly when his nephew is about to leave the kitchen. He was neither upset nor sad when he didn’t get any answer from Kento just now because as an optimist, he just assumed that Kento didn’t have to answer it, instead that boy just told him by his action─to show that he just wanted to drink plain water. His call makes Kento stop on his track, but still not turning back to face him.

“Uhm…” at first Shigeki seems to be uncertain to speak, but as he thinks intensely, he should be the one to start this man-to-man conversation tonight. This is about Kento and also the family. As the leader in his family, he shouldn’t just let things happen without trying to be aware, control and solve them. “It’s about you,” he begins.

Slowly, Kento turns his head to the left side, tolerantly waiting for the next sentence his uncle is about to say but still not looking at the older man.

“You being here… is not a forced thing or whatever you think it is,” taking a deep breath, Shigeki pauses and continues, “it’s also not an arrangement or whatever you think it is.”

Kento never moves from his track and never stops listening to his uncle’s words silently. But at the same time, deep in his heart, he wants to give response to what his uncle says. He wants to make eye contacts while they are talking to each other. He wants to reply. He wants to talk.

Do you know what is on my mind all this time? Do you even know what is filling inside my thoughts?

“Your aunt─she is worried about you─always worried, which is why she asked me to move and bring you here. Other reasons─you know them yourself,” unconsciously, Shigeki almost bites his own tongue as he is trying to finish his words. “I─we hope that you’re able to suit yourself here and slowly getting comfortable being around the people here. As for the weather, I believe that there’s not much of a difference between Japan’s and Korea’s so… hope you have good times then. That’s all…”

Hearing the explaination from his uncle about his being brought and transferred to Korea, and what his uncle along with his aunt hope to happen to him while being here, Kento only smirks. His lips curl into an only-he-knows-what smirk without spending a glare to Shigeki and without turning back, he leaves the kitchen, letting his uncle be dumbfounded.

Shigeki is absent mindedly staring deep into the glass he is holding for some moments after Kento left the kitchen. He swallows his own saliva and takes a deep breath before muttering, “Kento, I am so sorry. I miss you. I miss the old you. Please come back, boy.”

The old man raises his head, staring deeply at the ceiling to the point where the ceiling might have burnt if he had laser eyes. Unbearable sadness is filling his emotion. He wants to cry and in fact, he already feels like crying, yet the tears won’t come out.

 


 

My feet land on my bedroom floor after getting back from the kitchen. I felt thirsty at this 3 o'clock in the morning so I decided to drink some water despite the laziness that overpowers me. I just placed my head onto the pillow when my phone beeps signaling that I’ve got a message. Lifting my head a bit, my hand reaches for the phone on the small cupboard beside the bed I’m lying on before I placed my head back onto the pillow. I start reading the message as my lips curl into a familiar smile.

Yook Sungjae.

Yook Jjal Ddo: Sohyun! *Annyeong!

My fingers start typing on the screen with the never leaving smile on my face.

Me: Oh. Why are you messaging me at this late?

Yook Jjal Ddo: **Heol! What’s with that? Can’t I?

I smirk. I want to type again, but he sends one more.

Yook Jjal Ddo: But is it already late?

Reading his question that makes me think it is ridiculous to ask that kind of question, I scoff at my own phone.

Me: Yah! What’s the use of your phone if you ask that? I was just going to sleep when you disturbed me.

Yook Jjal Ddo: Hahaha okay okay. The thing is I was going to ask you something.

My brows frown a little at it.

Me: What is it?

I click the send button. Then I type again.

Me: Make it fast unless you want to die tomorrow morning. *inserts knife*

Yook Jjal Ddo: Wuuu so scared! *sticks out tongue* This is about school.

No, it’s about that Japanese student Kento.

Once again, I frown. Okay this is weird. Sort of.

Me: What about him?

Yook Jjal Ddo: Do you feel anything like a weird thing about him?

Okay to be honest, my face at this time might look ugly because I start making weird face─might be because I feel too weird to see Sungjae’s weird side.

Yook Jjal Ddo: Sohyun! Typing… Typing…

I giggle.

Me: What kind of weird? I’m not sure what you’re getting to. But anyway, I’m getting more sleepy dude. Can we continue this tomorrow?

Yook Jjal Ddo: This early? *sad* Okay then. Annyeong.

Me: But before that, I just want to say that I never expected myself to have another girl friend besides Yoojung and Saeron. *giggles*

Yook Jjal Ddo: You mean?

I chuckle.

Me: Because I never knew that you like to gossip as well. *giggles*

Yook Jjal Ddo: Yah! I tell you, it isn’t because I want to gossip whatsoever. Curiosity killed the cat, bury in mind. Ah nevermind. Yah you better just sleep right now! *angry*

Me: Yeah whatever. *sticks out tongue*

Yook Jjal Ddo: *more angry* SLEEP!!!

Giggling once again for the last time, I lock my phone and place it back onto the cupboard. I wanted to sleep but however, now as I am staring ahead, my mind goes to somewhere else. The after school event that happened today caught my interest.

What’s with him? Why was he like hesitating to cross the road? And who is he actually?

A yawn went out off my mouth as my eye lids get heavier slowly. Those unsettled thoughts are brushed off by my own dreamland.

 


*Hi/Hello (greetings), ** “What the…” (express exclamation)



A/N: Sorry if it's too short. Tell me what d'ya think. ^w^v

Sorry but this guy now is one of the huge inspirations of mine. ^3^

PS: To BToB/Sungjae's fans, some of you may know that he has a nickname called "Yook Jjal Ddo" (which means like good looking young guy or something like that if I'm not mistaken) so I use it here. :)