Prologue

An Azalea's Hellebore [Hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Prologue How he came to be....

The spring grasses prevented him from sprinting at full speed, the humid sun that rest so carelessly in the bright sky made him sweat at a faster rate, and the time of day were no help to him at all. He was running out of breath, but he knew he couldn’t stop. The twelve year old was racing with the sun, he needed to be there with the sun when the biggest star finally sits in the center of Korea’s sky.

Today was the day of his most trusted friend’s punishment, which was to be executed this afternoon. The twelve year old in filthy rags knew that if he’s a step late, he may be late forever in saving his friend. In the city, peasants murmured of today’s activity; children, adults, the elders; no one was absent in not knowing.

Finally at the heart of the scene, on a wooden stage were five men with ropes around their wrists, feet, and necks. The boy pushed his way toward the front and look up to one of the five. The boy quickly noticed the four shirtless men standing on all corners of the stage, with large butcher swords in their large palms. Below the stage were more guards—palace guards—blocking off anyone from getting too close to the setting and especially the announcer standing in the center.

The man the boy was staring at was at the edge. The fellow had a black beard not far from becoming grey. His hair was messy and dried blood were visible on his face. The torture had already taken place and no one was shameless enough to hide it even from the eyes of children.

“It’s noon. It’s time to behead traitor Lee Taeyo and Choi Honggi!” An officer announced with a paper scroll opened at hand. The commoners’ chatter rose before they were silenced by the maneuver of one large man in the front. The executioner, who was bigger than the average person, dragged one of the man to the front and laid his head onto the stamp post.

“Traitor Lee Taeyo will now be beheaded. Behead him now!” The officer screamed.

Once the large man dropped his sword over the neck of the man, the people moved in awe, some people in the crowd however started revolting.

“Next is traitor Choi Honggi!” The officer proceeded, despite the growing uproar. The boy kept his eyes on the man at the edge, hoping he would notice the young male. “Lynch the rest of the traitors now!”

Concerns washed over the boy’s vision. “No, no, no! F-father!” The boy shouted, catching the man’s attention. Suddenly the expressionless facial face he had on was replaced by a concerned one.

“W-Wolryung!”

The people started pushing once the board beneath the three men’s feet were dropped, lowering the men as well and the ropes tightening around their necks, suffocating them.

“No! Father!” Wolryung cried as people shoved one another. Wolryung, the boy, was knocked onto the ground as soldiers started to attack the people. Clouds of dust fogged his view from the happening on the stage, and he couldn’t see where anything was but a lot of colors, legs, and the dropping of other commoners. Before Wolryung could find his balanc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter