Thirty One

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

When you walk down the stairs, you spot the deejay sitting on the couch, wearing a sky blue button down and dark pants.


"You look awfully dressed up even after changing." You note.

He peers up from his handphone and gives you a once-over.


"And you might want to change into something... Less casual." He beams.

You look down at yourself.

Long sleeved beige sweater and blue jeans. Your usual garb.


"Where are we going to eat?" You are hungry and any unnecessary things like changing clothes are undesirable in your book currently.


"You'll see." He gives a knowing grin.

"Then let's go." You make for the door.


"Are you sure you don't want to change?" Kyungsoo watches in amusement as he stands up from the couch.


"I'm super, duper sure, now let's just go before I bite someone's head off from hunger." You throw back.


 



❖❖❖




"You didn't tell me it's this... kind of place!" You hiss at the deejay.


The two of you are now sitting in a posh restaurant, with freaking crystal chandeliers hanging overhead and freaking satin red tabletops and you are definitely feeling out of place and very very under dressed with your gaudy sweater and jeans.

Awkwardness doesn't even cover it and you are only glad that nobody seems to be paying much attention to your inappropriate dressing. You would have walked out, but oh, the heavenly aroma and sounds filling the place- sizzling steaks and aged wines- you just don't have it in you to say no when Kyungsoo ushers you in gently by the arm with a damn smirk on his face.



"I did ask whether you want to change, but you said you are super, duper sure..." He imitates your tone.

You scowl.

"Not funny at all."


He only laughs at this and signals for the waiter.



"What's your recommendation?" Kyungsoo asks when the waiter nears.

"We have some roast turkey glazed with our special home made sauce for the upcoming Christmas and also a classic comeback dish, beef casserole, or would you and your partner like to try some of our signature steak dishes, sir?"


Kyungsoo eyes you playfully.

"I take it that you'd like the sirloin steak?"



"I- Ah... Yeah, but the beef casserole sounds nice too..." You can't help but stammer. Everything is out of your league here, even the waiter sounds and looks ultra posh and refined.

Your entire body is stiffening and Kyungsoo catches it easily.


"We'll take the casserole then. And I'll have the turkey. Do you have the wine that I left the other day?"

"Yes sir, we do. So I'll bring it over to you now?"

"Please do, thanks."

The waiter bows with a cheery "have a good evening!" and you wait until he leaves before kicking the deejay under the table.



"What are we doing here?!" You bark lowly.

Kyungsoo sniggers and answers in a matter-of-fact way, "Having dinner of course, what else?"


"What I mean is, why did you bring me here, of all places?" You jab a finger down and Kyungsoo stares you straight in the eyes.

"Remember the first time I bought you a meal and you complained that it's too cheapskate? Well, I was thinking, you'd probably like this better."


Oh. He actually remembers that.

Is he being sarcastic?

You study his almost shy demeanor. He looks... Sincere.



"When I say that, I didn't really mean I want this..."

You glance around the upscale restaurant. Wow, it feels surreal.



"You don't have to worry, the food here is rather good. I came here two days ago with a client and was pretty impressed with the service. Besides... " He gives a dramatic pause. "This place has the best chocolate ice cream waffle in town."


Your eyes brighten at that and Kyungsoo can't help but chuckle.

"W-Well... I guess it doesn't hurt to try..." Biting your lower lip, you scan the place again.


"Do bear in mind that... This is fine dining after all, so the food portion might not be quite up to your expectations. But we can always order more." He assures.





The deejay is right.

When the entree arrives, your eyes widen and it's not only because the dish looks like a piece of art. It's also because the beef casserole is the size of half your fist and you are usually accustomed to eating casseroles that fill at least most of the plate.


Nevertheless, when you bite in and the splash of flavors burst on your tongue, you can't help but let out an appreciative moan.

Kyungsoo perks up at the reaction and grins.


"Like it?"


"Heavenly."



The main dish doesn't take long to finish, considering the puny amount fit for a toddler. While the two of you are waiting for the dessert ("This better be worth it because the entree is delicious but I'm still hungry like I can eat a whale." You tell Kyungsoo and he only snickers. "I hope so because I haven't tried it myself."), Kyungsoo picks up the conversation.


Once again, you marvel at how easily you open up to the male.

It's always comfortable with him. He has this magical quality of making everything so engaging the room seems to converge to become only you and him.

Cosy and relaxing. And just that tiny little bit of flutter in your heart whenever the deejay's eyes crinkle into half moons and lets out that heart shaped smile.



"So, tell me something about yourself that I don't already know." He eases into a grin.

"My life is really boring actually."

"Oh wow, that makes two of us."


You kick him under the table and he snickers again.


"Besides liking to kick people under the table, what else?" He prompts again.

You sigh in defeat.

"Ah well..." You try thinking back of some interesting elements in your life. There's really not much since you've spent most of your youth working and worrying over bills and Youngjae.



"I cracked a boy's nose once."


Kyungsoo raises a brow, mouth crooking in amusement.

"What did he do to you?"



You recall the summer when an elder boy bullied your younger brother at the playground.

"Well... My brother didn't want to play with him because he was being unfair with the rules. Then he snapped at Youngjae, calling him names and pushing him. When I saw that, I told him to stop, but he started pushing me instead. I pushed back and we sort of ended up fighting. In the midst, I accidentally punched him and blood was literally pouring out of his nose... I still remember panicking because I thought I've killed someone."



Kyungsoo laughs.

"You are a good sister. Youngjae ssi told me."


"What? When?"



"Just now. When my grandmother was introducing you to the relatives. Your brother said you can be very stubborn, but it's just your way of doing things and making sure he's taken care of."

You bite your lip.

"What else did he say?"


Kyungsoo eyes you intently.

"That sometimes you keep things bottled up in yourself and suffer silently. He asked me to help you out when you do that and to be patient with you."


You let out a wane laugh to hide your emotions.

That Youngjae.


"Ay, I can take care of myself."

"It'll be nice to let others take care of you sometimes." He remarks seriously.


You fidget with your fingers.

"Enough talking about me... What about you? Tell me something that I don't already know. "




Kyungsoo shrugs.

"Nothing much actually. Well, I like cooking and if I wasn't a deejay I would have become a chef."


You break into a smile.

"That explains the herbs in the garden. So you were the one cooking?"


"To be specific, Sera does most of the cooking during weekdays. I only cook during the weekends. But I taught her all the western dishes she knew."

You whistle lowly.



"And she's pretty good at it too. You should cook for me sometimes, since I've already done that for you in like, two occasions?"

Kyungsoo chuckles.

"Thanks for that... And yeah, sure."


You pass a glance over his shoulder in the direction of the kitchen. "And the waffles aren't here yet." You groan. "Tell me something more."



He sniggers again.

"Well... Let's see... Hmm... I can beatbox. I won the school's competition once and the funny thing is, the prize was a flute but I don't even play the flute."


You chuckle.


"I think they sort of mixed up the prizes because there were other competitions going on that day of the festival. There's a flute playing contest before ours and I think the boxes got mixed up. I can only imagine the shock on the other person's face when they open up the gift and finds a boom box or something."


The two of you erupt into laughter and Kyungsoo thinks the moment is just wonderful.


You glance over his shoulder again and after making sure the dessert isn't here yet, you excuse yourself.

"I have to go to the washroom for a while. Don't start without me!"


The male shrugs and gives you a lopsided grin.


You throw a threatening look at him and hasten your steps to the washroom. Not wanting to miss out the waffles, you finish quickly and is about to exit the washroom when you bump into someone.



"Sorry."

"Sorry... Gaeun?"


You freeze for a second at that voice, not wanting to peer up because it's him.


"Sorry..." After throwing down the apology, you attempt to weasel out of the situation by pretending not to recognize him, but it backfires when he holds you back by the wrist.

"Gaeun-ah."


Somehow, feeling his touch on your skin and hearing your name from his mouth makes your stomach squelch with disgust.

You finally muster the courage to look up.


Jongdae is wearing black-rimmed designer glasses (you know he doesn't really need it though, it's more of a fashion statement than anything since he's not short-sighted) and white leather jacket over black shirt and slacks.

His mouth is fixed into a weird smile. You know that to be the expression he gives when he's feeling nervous.


Nervous? About what?


"Don't you want to speak to me anymore?" He asks, breaking the silence.

"I don't think we have much to talk about. And if you'll excuse me..." You try to shake off him off but his grip is firm.


What is he trying to do?


Your gaze flickers around in anxiety and he seems to notice the situation he's in, following your actions before he releases your arm.



"Just... Don't run okay? I haven't had the chance to talk to you properly after... That day."

You bite your lower lip. (It's a habit you picked up from the deejay, you realized.)



"And you changed your number."

"You know where I live."


It comes out slightly harsher than you intended. You don't want this now. Especially not when Kyungsoo is waiting.


"Look, I just want to let you know... It was real. It's still real."

You finally look him in the eye, not understanding.



He his lips. Again, a sign of his nerves.


"When... Hyemi told me to get closer to you, I haven't thought much about it. Just something that needs to be done and I trust her on that. It wasn't easy at first because you were so... Closed off. But when I got to know you better, it became... Real. I found that I'm starting to fall for real and... I needed to tell Hyemi that. So on the day of our anniversary, I called her to clear things up but then she got hysterical and needy and... Things got a bit out of control so when you knocked on the door, you found us in a very awkward position. But it wasn't what you think."

When he finishes, he lets out a breath and looks at you expectantly.


If this conversation had happened a year earlier, you would probably have buckled and sobbed into his arms.


But time dulls pain.

So does your feelings for him.



All that is left now is a tinge of sadness for the loss, and pity for your ex-boyfriend and best friend.

And strangely, the nagging thought of a heart shaped smile.



"It doesn't matter anymore. Plus you are with the heiress now, aren't you."

This time, there isn't any bitterness in your tone. In fact, you are genuinely curious.



"It does matter, I should have told you sooner but I didn't know how you'll react to it so I put it off, until you quit a week later and dissolve all possible contacts with me. I got back together with Hyemi, but it wasn't the same anymore. And as for the heiress... She's lonely, and she needs a companion. I need the break and she's actually pretty nice to me." He sighs.

"I thought it will suffice... But it isn't. I saw you at the club and realized I still want you back... You'll... Forgive me, won't you?"


He looks at you hopefully and you are about to answer when another voice rings through the compact space.



"Gaeun ah, the waffles are... Oh, hello. " Kyungsoo bows slightly when he sees Jongdae and the latter bows back, apprehension clear on his face.

"Erm... I need to go so, goodbye Jongdae ssi." You take the opportunity to slip away but the singer stops you by the arm again.



Kyungsoo flinches automatically at the sight of another man touching you.


"You haven't answered me though?" Jongdae demands.

You shake him off and he's about to grab you once more when Kyungsoo, in one fluid movement, steps between the two of you.



"Maybe you'd like to back off for a while because Gaeun apparently doesn't like it very much." The deejay states in a controlled tone.

Jongdae's gaze flits from him to you and then back to Kyungsoo again.


"And who are you to speak for her?" Jongdae is being outright rude at this point but he can't care less for now.


Kyungsoo's forehead creases into a frown.

"It's none of your business."



"As it is with you. Gaeun and I have more to talk about so you can just get lost..." He reaches out to grab you from behind Kyungsoo but the deejay is faster, intercepting his arm and then shoving him backwards.


"Yah, you..."

"Let's go, Gaeun ah." Kyungsoo ignores his protest and leads you away by the hand.

You are about to follow when the singer yanks you back and you yelp.


Running out of patience to tread on, Kyungsoo deals him a clean punch and you hear the low "thud" of fist connecting with cheek before the singer careens back to hit the wall.

You are stunned.



"Stop touching her." He warns with a finality.

"You ..." The singer curses as he rubs the sore spot. "Who are you to her?"



Kyungsoo gently guides you out of the area while you are still in a daze. Without looking back, he answers calmly.



"I'm her husband."

 

 

 

▲▲▲

 

 

 

 

a/n: Did you see the new poster? BangAcy made it for me! Thanks so much gull! I rushed the chp out just for you! Hope u like it! ^^

And hullo to new subscribers! I'm the same doitlikethis123 at Tumblr juz in case u r wondering! ^^